2015-Jun-29 Diagnostic Development Biweekly Report
We took more beam time at the CEBAF injector to test the LDR diagnostic setup. We have identified a problem with measurements electronics, and are working to reproduce the the problem on a bench without using beam time for that. During the last beam time, we have also made an important observation pointing to the nature of background present in the measurements. Taking on to account experience of the last shifts we have been preparing to the next one, making adjustments to the setup to mitigate the observed problems. We also have been working on detailed plan of finishing the early career grant work, and on the plan how the results of the grant work could be used at the lab in the best possible way. Besides planning the last stage of the early career grant work, we are also discussing plans how experience and knowledge of beam diagnostics at the JLab FEL can be transferred to other JLab staff. We have also worked on the detailed comparison of different options for the BPM system for the ASML FEL. We have spent some time reviewing CSR and micro-bunching related proposal for the LDRD program led by Rui Li. We have also suggested novel beam diagnostics that could be used for the experiment considered in the proposal. Beyond the proposal we have started to investigate feasibility and practical availability of new components to built such instrumentation.
Michael Tiefenback has been working a much higher proportion of his time, than I'd anticipated, with the undergrad student to ready multipass steering utilities for the fall. They are beyond the learning curve part. and have settled on how to compute the corrections needed to control all beam passes in the presence of linac ground motion and implement it in the elegant model. (The linac doesn't remain exactly straight as calendar time passes, which causes the different energy beams to diverge in trajectory.) We've been able to use elegant to compute the residual trajectory errors after correction. This is work in progress.
Michael has been working through the dogleg focusing data and understanding what the emittance computations are saying. There seems to be a subtle error in the qsUtility computations which Michael is trying to identify. It may possibly only show up in the case of the collective analysis of multiple data sets, which is exactly what I've been doing for the dogleg focusing test. Ensuring that the analysis and framework for emittance and envelope functions is internally clean and self-consistent is of fundamental importance for the future.
Michael have been revisiting beam-based linac gradient calibration issues to assist Jay Benesch on that topic, one which Michael initiated many years ago. Michael is also continuing the hunt for "hot-wire anemometer" work relevant to our SRF heat load monitoring, will keep up with Ed Daly and the undergrad he has working on that, so that I understand the scope of any conclusions they may draw. I addition, Michael has been preparing for the HPS collaboration meeting next week, which will mostly be a edition of Arne's updates to the CLAS12 and User Group meetings on accelerator status.
Kevin Jordan was out last week on vacation enjoying Paris and his passion for BN nano tubes. This week Kevin has reviewed 200 abstracts for choices of contributed talks for the IBIC conference this fall. Additionally he worked with Hari & Walt Akers to put an artist's conception on what a Radio Isotope Facility might look like on the FEL building (see image). Andrew Hutton is submitting a white paper to DOE at their request. Kevin also helped work on rack layout for the UITF project particularly for HPA & LLRF.