Director - M. Spata
Accelerator Physics - T. Satogata
Previous two weeks (Jan 23-Feb 3) - USPAS (through Sat Jan 28) - OPS: Hall D run setup, BTeam, optics support - IPAC18: SAB invitations - JLEIC: Collective effects, spreadsheet planning; R&D meet - JLEIC: Start participating in GHOST collaboration meetings - ADMIN: various meetings (Randy, EricT, start reviews) - ADMIN: Student SULI/REU recommendation letters Next two weeks (Feb 6-Feb 17) - JACoW: board of directors telecon - ADMIN: Annual review meetings, CASA group meet - OPS: Hall D run setup/support; BTeam org, beam studies; Optics Feb 7-14 - HALLD: GlueX collaboration meeting (Feb 16-18) - IPAC18: SPC invited talk proposals - JLEIC: 4/3 Gear changing simulations for GHOST paper - JLEIC: Longitudinal simulations, reading impedance papers
Previous two weeks (Jan 23-Feb 3) - Publication survey report (APS publication committee) - Vacation (Jan 4-6) - OPS: Optics on call Jan 31-Feb 7 - PRAB article review Next two weeks (Feb 6-Feb 17) - PERLE: continue lattice re-design, Feb trip/presentation prep - OPS: Optics support, injector match evaluation
Previous two weeks (Jan 23-Feb 3) - JLEIC: Axially symmetric arc optics, tech note development for CCR optics requirements, including initial optimization - JLEIC: Evaluate impacts of emittance exchange, optics transport constraints. Appears underconstrained. - ADMIN: Chen-Ying Tsai recommendation letters Next two weeks (Feb 6-Feb 17) - JLEIC: Finish up emittance exchange, including example; document. - JLEIC: Continue work on CCR arc requirements tech note and arc design. - PERLE: Feb trip/presentation preparation (operations driven I&C)
Previous two weeks (Jan 23-Feb 3) - JLEIC: Finished draft of PRSTAB paper on beam-beam calculations, started iterating with Daniel Schulte at CERN - JLEIC: Start working on implementing gear changing script model for Guinea Pig for 4/3 gear changing evaluation - JLEIC: Prepare, present talk on beam-beam calculations at R&D meeting - JLEIC: Started discussions with Todd on Booster injection design Next two weeks (Feb 6-Feb 17) - JLEIC: Continue evaluating/planning Booster injection design - JLEIC: Continue implementing gear changing script model for Guinea Pig for 4/3 gear changing evaluation - JLEIC: Continue writing PRSTAB paper draft on beam-beam sims - Move more boxes into new house
Previous two weeks (Jan 23-Feb 3) - JLEIC: studies of a magnetized beam through a non-axisymmetric arc with CSR - JLEIC: simulations of compensating CSR with RF cavity in the CCR - JLEIC: simulations of ERL arc for 2 nC (rather than 420 pC) - JLEIC: summarize previous work done on merger designs for ERL Next two weeks (Feb 6-Feb 17) - JLEIC: more cooler work (direction of which will depend on action items generated at next cooler meeting) - JLEIC: simulate emittance measurements of multi-component beams
Previous two weeks (Jan 23-Feb 3) - USPAS: TA for Accelerator Physics course (Jan 15-28) - JLEIC: Develop BLonD simulations of debunch/rebunch with impedance - JLEIC: Continue writing outlines of initial dissertation chapters Next two weeks (Feb 6-Feb 17) - JLEIC: Continue BLonD simulations of debunch/rebunch with impedance - JLEIC: Longitudinal impedance reading
Accelerator R and D - Y. Zhang
- Studied alternate cooler design (with emittance exchange) - Continued studies of unified field theory
- Provided the electron ring lattice with new magnets for the evaluation of impedance budget. - Finished and submitted the paper for Spin Symposium 2016. - Performed chromaticity compensation studies on the TME-like-arc-cell electron ring optics and presented the progress in the bi-weekly non-linear beam dynamics meeting. - Miscellaneous: attended the beam-beam code development meetings, attended JLEIC weekly R&D meetings, attended discussion of JLEIC and ring coordinate systems.
- Ion polarization: SPIN'16 proceedings, teleconference with Anatoliy and his colleagues, simulations of acceleration and transition energy crossing, presentation at an R&D meeting - GHOST development: getting ready for beam-beam simulations, specifying parameters, generating beam-transfer maps - Non-linear dynamics: teleconference with SLAC, electron lattice and chromaticity compensation options, tune scan - Miscellaneous: geometry tagging LDRD, crab crossing, detector design, muon cooling, positron workshop organization
- Skew PIC: Modified MADX input files for compatibility with genetic algorithm optimization on ifarm cluster. Working on comparing multipole optimization results obtained using MINUIT and with the genetic algorithm. Introduced a simple cooling model into the Skew PIC channel to simulate ideal ionization cooling and observed damping in transverse phase space in the absence of induced parametric resonance. This is an indication of transverse-longitudinal coupling in the channel. Induced a parametric resonance in the channel using both "delta-like" and "sinusoidal-like" quadrupoles, but parametric resonance behavior gets washed out in the presence of RF. Looking into the dynamics of the inherent transverse-longitudinal coupling.
- Simulated 10000 events of ePb collision in JLEIC IR section for the LDRD of Geometry tagging for heavy ions at JLEIC. - Dynamic aperture study with tune scan for the JLEIC ion collider ring. - Study on detector solenoid compensation with skew quads beside IR triplet.
- Attended a high energy physics program at Hong Kong Univ. for two weeks. Gave a 45 min plenary talk on review of EIC - Completed a quarterly report on FOA grant - Started preparation of the JLEIC spring collaboration
Computational Physics - Y. Roblin
Diagnostic Development - K. Jordan