Accelerator Physics (T. Satogata)
Accelerator R and D (Y. Zhang)
- Continued study of the chromaticity compensation and dynamic aperture in the electron collider ring.
- Discussed JLEIC positron parameters with colleagues and prepared the presentation for JPoS17.
- Miscellaneous: attended JLEIC weekly R&D meetings, attended discussion of test CEBAF pulsed mode for JLEIC.
- Geometry-tagging LDRD: generating cross-section tables, generating events, analyzing the data.
- JLEIC R&D planning: reviewing R&D activities, preparing for and participating in a conference call with DoE.
- Ion polarization: teleconference with Anatoliy's group about crab crossing effect and its simulation.
- Lower level activities: detector integration, muon cooling, getting started with River on crab crossing work.
- Application of inverse flat beam transform to low and high energy beam distributions at the entrance and exit of the bent solenoid section. The unrotated inverse FBT recovers the flat beam but swaps the x-x' to y-y' phase space, and vice versa. For both low and high energy beams, there is significant growth in the vertical emittance - the vertical emittance is very small due to the nature of the flat beam, and the growth may still allow for full acceptance into the ERL. The growth of the momentum spread due to space charge effects is likely more challenging - working on lengthening the initial distribution to see how long the 3.2 nC bunch needs to be to avoid 10x growth in the momentum spread through the merger.
- Using tracking data to recover dispersion functions through one period of the Skew PIC channel to allow for alignment of the parametric-resonance-inducing quadrupoles with the angle between dispersion vectors. Nonzero dispersion at the locations where RF kicks are applied to the beam are destroying the development of the parametric resonance, so different methods are applied to recover the characteristic hyperbolic behavior.
- Checked in with Zack Conway of ANL on ion source/SBIR progress. ANL is working with Muons, Inc. to submit an SBIR proposal on the polarized H-/D- atomic beam source. A collaborative effort has been established with BNL for this proposal, and the Phase I proposal is predicated on a Phase II proposal where a BNL polarimeter is modified to test the device that comes out of simulation work in Phase I.
- Attended bunched beam cooling meeting and discussed with Haipeng/Shaoheng on data analyses
- Discussed with Jiquan on lead ion beam formation scheme and checked space charge limit at various locations
- Discussed with Fanglei and Jiquan on polarized positron source for JLEIC, assisted Fanglei in preparation of JPOS2017 talk slides
- Updated staged electron cooling scheme and ensured design consistence with beam formation, discussed with He Zhang and Jiquan Guo
- Prepared talk slides for the AAC review
- Started preparation of talk slides for COOL17
- Continued to work with BNL for organizing the EIC Accelerator Collaboration Meeting.
Computational Physics (Y. Roblin)
Last week: vacation Prior:
- preparing for JPOS
- running beam-beam simulations with GHOST and BB3D
- meeting with Rui and Kirsten for planning upcoming work
Next two weeks:
- preparing/attending JPOS
- beam-beam investigation+ preparing for collaboration meeting
- Reviewing start-up readiness for CEBAF (status of optics models, etc..)
Last two weeks:
- Continue developing the turn-by-turn tracking for IMP experiment
- Continue testing the improved model beam method
- Investigate the simulation of phase painting injection with IBS and cooling for Pb ion using BETACOOL
- I would like to go back to work on the dust particle transfer problem, if there is no urgent request for cooling simulation.
- Continue working on the RF system optimization paper.
Last two weeks:
- Magnetized gun
- CSR and LSC induced MBI
- ERLs in general and mergers in detail
- Emittance of a magnetized beam
- visit to GTS, set up meeting with people doing simulations (Sep. 5)
- Cooler meeting
- JLEIC meetings
- RW I, including dosimeter
- setup desktop programs
- ops account
- application submitted for Simulation of Beam and Plasma Systems course
Next two weeks:
- GTS simulations (this morning at 9)
- Alicia re: GPT
- need to set up meeting with Rui, Bob re: impedance calculation/simulation
- Ap Com course (a few hours on the 12th)
- Calculation of thermal emittance from distribution of magnetized beam
- Merger options (including collective effects)
- Simulation on network nodes, not desktop
- CSR and LSC-induced MBI
- filling in gaps, as necessary
Diagnostic Development (K. Jordan)
LERF (S. Benson)
August 21 - September 1
- On vacation August 21-25
- Go over frequency choices for Cooler ring gun, injector, and ERL
- Get Kirsten Dietrich started on LERF experiment design
- Completed preparations for Neil symposium
- Help set up safety documents for User Lab 6 experiment
- Assisted Kris Burrows in starting audit of dual use technology items
- Registered for EIC Collaboration meeting
- Prepare talks for JPos17, COOL17, and EIC collaboration meeting
- Attend JPos16 and organize LERF tour