Revision as of 10:09, 11 October 2017 by Anichols
Director (M. Spata)
Accelerator Physics (T. Satogata) Todd Satogata
Previous two weeks (Sep 18-Sep 29) - ADMIN: Appraisal training (Sep 19) - OPS: BTeam (Sep 19), ATLis cleanup, troubleshooting guide, RSR accounting - IPAC18: invited program finalization, registration opening - JLEIC: Continue assembling documents, pCDR meetings/planning - JLEIC: Continued esme simulations for coasting beam instability evaluation - ODU: USPAS January 2018 class coordination (registration opening) - ADMIN: Write recommendation letter for Eric Thompson Fulbright application - ODU: JMU seminar prep/trip (Sep 29) Next two weeks (Oct 2-Oct 13) - PERS: Wish Mike a Happy Birthday (Oct 2) - OPS: BTeam (Oct 3), ATLis cleanup, ORFP update review - OPS: 12 GeV beam parameter meeting - JLEIC: Prepare talk for BNL collaboration meeting - ADMIN: Peer review NIM paper - IPAC18: Editorial board meet (Oct 5), SPMS support work - JACOW: Team Meeting travel planning, organization - JLEIC: Continue assembling documents, pCDR meetings/planning - HALLD: Help McCaughan prepare slides for GlueX collab meet talk (Oct 12) - JLEIC: Collaboration Meeting (Oct 9-13)
Previous two weeks (Sep 18-Sep 29) - NUFACT: NUFACT'17, talk on "Muon Acceleration for Neutrino Factory and Beyond" - IPAC18: Continue APS scientific publication board org for light peer review - ADMIN: Invention disclosure review, TRC work Next two weeks (Oct 2-Oct 13) - ADMIN: Peer review PRAB paper - NUFACT: Write, finish paper for NUFACT'17 proceedings - USPAS: Continue work on lectures for "Practical Accelerator Design"
Previous two weeks (Sep 18-Sep 29) - JLEIC: More work beating on tilted solenoid, comparison to DIMAD - JLEIC: Work on talk for EIC collaboration meeting - JLEIC: respond to any results Chris develops on the simple CCR arcs (and started write up the simple arc) - JLEIC: Work with Chris to understand Bmad quadrupole model - ADMIN: Neil symposium (Sep 27) Next two weeks (Oct 2-Oct 13) - JLEIC: continue with tilted solenoid: generate transfer matrix (numerical differentiation); start comparing to conventional modeling - JLEIC: continue responding to any results Chris develops on the simple CCR arcs and writing up the simple arc - ADMIN: talks for collaboration meeting, Bonn, and Daresbury
Previous two weeks (Sep 18-Sep 29) - JLEIC: prepare slides summarizing my understanding of electron cloud in JLEIC and present at R&D meeting - JLEIC: start to work on slides summarizing JLEIC collective effects for the upcoming collaboration meeting in BNL - ADMIN: continue to work on matters for the thesis award committee (deadline is 9/16) - ADMIN: Write recommendation letter for Eric Thompson Fulbright application - VACATION: Sep 22 - ADMIN: Neil symposium (Sep 27) Next two weeks (Oct 2-Oct 13) - VACATION: Oct 2-3 - JLEIC: Prepare slides on collective effects for EIC collab meet - JLEIC: Collaboration Meeting (Oct 9-13)
Previous two weeks (Sep 18-Sep 29) - JLEIC: chasing down issues around injection problems in the booster, and we determined that there may be dispersion in sections that are not dispersive. - ADMIN: Neil symposium (Sep 27) Next two weeks (Oct 2-Oct 13) - JLEIC: figure out the best way of combatting injection synchrobetatron coupling and hopefully get a good injection simulation going. - VACATION: Oct 9
Previous two weeks (Sep 18-Sep 29) - JLEIC: trying to benchmark Bmad for a single quad (elegant and DIMAD agree but use the same phase space coordinates while Bmad does not; tried (with Dave's help and a 30+ year old TN he wrote) to do the appropriate transformations. Still not making sense) - PERLE: learning/trouble-shooting Cheng-Ying's code for use with acceleration (to model S2E PERLE lattice) - JLEIC: summarizing results from analysis of CCR "simple arc" (microbunching is under control, one pass through arc is okay, 10 passes through a ring comprised of arc and we're doomed - CSR longitudinal wake induced energy spread growth/distortion and CSR-generated emittance growth) - ADMIN: Neil symposium (Sep 27) Next two weeks (Oct 2-Oct 13) - CRADA signed? (a talk at the symposium raised the possibility of renewed interest in FEL for Navy and/or lithography in 2025 time frame - woot!) - JLEIC: resolve Bmad issue and proceed to play with CSR/CSR shielding capabilities (benchmarking with elegant if possible) - PERLE: proceed with PERL analysis - really need some results for multiple turns. Suspect they are doomed too.
Previous two weeks (Sep 18-Sep 29) - Dissertation writing: Continue coasting beam chapter, tech note Next two weeks (Oct 2-Oct 13) - Dissertation writing: Hopefully coasting beam chapter, tech note
Accelerator R and D (Y. Zhang)
- Presented the progress on the study of the chromaticity compensation and dynamic aperture in the electron collider ring and discussed the design tasks of electron collider ring in the bi-weekly non-linear dynamics meeting.
- Redesigned the detector region optics in the electron collider ring and compensated the coupling effect due to the detector solenoid.
- Working on the presentation for the EIC collaboration meeting at BNL.
- Miscellaneous: discussion of spin tracking with Dave Sagan, attended the JLEIC R&D meeting, attended JLEIC parameter coordination meeting, attended JLEIC simulation plan meeting, attended JLEIC detector meeting.
- Geometry tagging LDRD: simulations, data analysis, setting up for the next year
- Ion polarization: simulation of crab crossing effect on the ion polarization, teleconference with Anatoliy's group, DSPIN'17 paper
- Collider ring design: teleconference with SLAC, work planning
- Interaction region design: iteration on the magnet and correcting element design
- Lower-effort activities: crab crossing, planning of JLEIC R&D, seminar committee
- Ran GEMC simulations for the geometry tagging LDRD project. Placed a virtual detector in the model for the interaction region - virtual detector was placed just beyond the final quadrupole of the downstream ion quadrupole triplet to tag all particles that pass through the quad triplet.
- Analyzed detected particles from GEMC simulations. Wrote python script to format GEMC output for conversion to root files for plotting. Generated plots of neutron multiplicity, proton multiplicity, change in rigidity, and a of residual nucleus vs nuclear thickness of the reaction.
- Attended COOL'17 workshop and gave a talk, discussed with cooling experts
- Gave a presentation on the topic of update of staged cooling scheme at the weekly JLEIC Accelerator Meeting
- Attended Neil Symposium
- Started study of JLEIC DC cooler
- Completed organization of EIC Accelerator Collaboration Meeting