Director - M. Spata
Accelerator Physics - T. Satogata
Previous two weeks (Oct 30-Nov 10) - ADMIN: Weekly meetings with students (Randy, Eric), appraisals - JACOW: Team Meeting travel planning, organization - IPAC18: Editorial board support, SPMS support work, travel planning for SPC/3 meeting in Jan 2018 - OPS: BTeam (Oct 31, start weekly meets), Hall D raster scan meeting - JLEIC: pCDR schedule, planning - JLEIC: Continue Booster injection notes, documentation - JLEIC: pyOrbit compilation and start of testing - ODU: PHYS 417/517 planning, class prep Next two weeks (Nov 13-Nov 24) - ADMIN: Weekly meetings with students (Randy, Eric), appraisals - ADMIN: Reference letters for student applications - ADMIN: Review of accelerator physics textbook proposal - JACOW: Team Meeting travel planning, organization, prep talks - JLEIC: Continue assembling documents, pCDR kickoff presentations? - JLEIC: Continue Booster injection notes, documentation - OPS: BTeam weekly, ORFP update review, ATLis updates - OPS: Hall D raster scan followup (McCaughan, John Musson, Keith Cole) - IPAC18: Editorial board support, SPMS support work - ODU: PHYS 417/517 planning, class prep
Previous two weeks (Oct 30-Nov 10) - OPS: 12 GeV beam parameter meeting, notes - PERLE: End to end simulation development - IPAC18: Next SPB meeting, notes and planning Next two weeks (Nov 13-Nov 24) - Revise JINST paper on dual linac for neutrino factory - TRC invention disclosure review - PERLE: Seminar and End to end simulation development
Previous two weeks (Oct 30-Nov 10) - At Daresbury and in UK for entire two weeks - Talks on Overview of ERLs and tech challenges, tutorial on magnetized beam transport, seminar on PERLE at University of Liverpool - Worked with Peter Williams on SRF linac/SRF-ERL architectures; generated draft accelerator (top level) requirements for a system with numerous potential applications. Thought a bit about implications of ISR on compressors in such systems. - Came up with a way to make a GERBAL symmetrical, shorter, and use the same spreader/recombiner at all four corners. Yes, that's a "symmetric asymmetrical linac". - Worked through an example calculation with Kirsten showing details on what happens to a magnetized beam if you apply a solenoid to it. Writing it up. - Got information about CSR modeling at magnet transitions ("CSRdrift", in Elegant) suggesting some aspects of this Elegant feature (Stupakov model) may require caution when used and interpreted. Communicated this to Chris, who I think will probably talk to Rui. Next two weeks (Nov 13-Nov 24) - More of the same in Daresbury - Return to JLab, pick back up on cooler design work and follow up on Daresbury connections
Previous two weeks (Oct 30-Nov 10) - Organized joint impedance meeting with RF, engineer people and Kirsten (gaining momentum) - Meeting with Salvador on coupled bunch instability issues - Continue with thesis committee organization work (with APS complications) - Reviewing fundamentals in impedance theories for baseline discussions - Participate Bas’s seminar and discussion session about GPT CSR - e-cooler design meetings - EIC seminar and R&D meeting Next two weeks (Nov 13-Nov 24) - Start reviewing thesis one by one (5 thesis are to be read through and given scores, and I plan to distribute the thesis reading time over the next two month) - Continue with going over impedance theories, simulation and impedance budget studies in existing machines, and start to prepare slides for the next impedance meeting
Previous two weeks (Oct 30-Nov 10) - JLEIC: Compile gear-change experiment ideas, give presentation RHIC and DESIREE seem to be reasonable options, following up with RHIC personnel with Jiquan Guo - JLEIC: Reading up on Booster design history, negative momentum compaction lattices and related nonlinear dispersion issues Next two weeks (Nov 13-Nov 24) - JLEIC: Determine feasibility of negative momentum compaction nonlinear dispersion correction, start redesigning Booster with new cells and to accommodate new top energy
Previous two weeks (Oct 30-Nov 10) - GPT immersion therapy (Bas visit) - Bmad parameter scans (running CCR arc, varying CSR code-related quantities, shielding height, #particles, etc.) - elegant parameter scans (turns out one of elegant's csrdrift models may have a sign error, using other models, doing multi-turn tracking) - retrieving data from old (broken) laptop HD and backing up current data! Next two weeks (Nov 13-Nov 24) - continue with analysis of CCR simple arc and summarize results in TN
Previous two weeks (Oct 30-Nov 10) - Dissertation writing: Continue coasting beam chapter, tech note Next two weeks (Nov 13-Nov 24) - Dissertation writing: Hopefully coasting beam chapter, tech note
Accelerator R and D - Y. Zhang
- Fanglei Lin
- -Traveled to China to attend an ICFA mini-workshop on the Dynamic Apertures of Circular Accelerators and gave an invited talk
- Vasiliy Morozov
- -attended an ICFA Mini-Workshop on the Dynamic Apertures of Circular Accelerators and gave a presentation on the dynamic aperture of the JLEIC ion collider ring.
- -Vacation for the rest of the time.
- Amy Sy
- -Working on documenting ion source requirements for the pre-CDR/TDR. Called a meeting with Muons, Inc. and others to discuss the direction of the ion source SBIR Phase I proposal to be submitted December 4th. Preliminary plan is to seriously consider a dual laser polarization/ionization method for polarized deuteron production.
- -Continued literature search on feedback systems.
- -Continued analysis of GEMC data. Generated plots for second data set (x > 0.02) analyzing RMS distance from first collision to edge of nucleus. Made plans to begin a series of biweekly discussions on the geometry tagging simulations and underlying physics processes.
- Guohui Wei
- -Update on compensation study of detector solenoid effects
- -Continue to Write a Journal paper, "Integration of the full-acceptance detector at the JLEIC"
- Yuhong Zhang
- -Gave a division seminar on highlights and reflection on the EIC collaboration meeting
- -Gave a talk in the JLEIC accelerator R&D meeting on two alternate afforded design concepts
- -Prepared slides for an JLEIC talk to engineers
Computational Physics - Y. Roblin
Diagnostic Development - K. Jordan
LERF - S. Benson
- October 30-Nov 10
- -Attended the EINN meeting in Paphos and presented a talk on "Low Energy Nuclear Physics at Jefferson Lab".
- -Submitted paper for COOL17.
- -Initiated discussions with Steve Peggs about possible research using CBeta
- -Met with Bas Van der Geer to discuss GPT uses. Discussed with the Cooler ring group
- November 13-22
- -Submit abstract for IPAC18
- -Complete R&D plan for potential FOA
- -Submit support letter for Radiasoft for Phase II SBIR