2017-Mar-03 Accel. R and D Biweekly Report
Revision as of 10:02, 6 March 2017 by Anichols (Created page with " Slava Derbenev <ol> <li>Studied EIC Community Review Report <li>Contributed to COOL17 Workshop Science Program <li>Conntinued JLEIC design study <li>Continued unified field t...")
- Studied EIC Community Review Report
- Contributed to COOL17 Workshop Science Program
- Conntinued JLEIC design study
- Continued unified field theory study
- Lead discussion of a few topics from the report of review of EIC accelerator R&D for the office nuclear physics.
- Continued chromaticity compensation studies in electron collider ring and presented the progress in the bi-weekly non-linear beam dynamics meeting.
- Provided electron ring information for the estimation of impedance budget.
- Working on spin tracking in ZGOUBI.
- Miscellaneous: attended the CASA monthly meeting, attended the beam-beam code development meetings, attended JLEIC weekly R&D meetings, attended the bi-weekly non-linear beam dynamics meeting, attended the bi-weekly ion polarization meeting, attended the bi-weekly simulation meeting, discussion of potential LDRD proposals.
- Discussions of R&D prioritization committee report.
- Non-linear dynamics: working on a journal paper on interaction region integration, teleconference with SLAC
- Ion polarization: teleconference with Anatoliy's group, developing a plan for the next two years
- Crab crossing: working with Salvador on simulations
- Geometry tagging LDRD: teleconference with collaborators, preparing LoI for the second year extension
- Interaction region: detector background simulations
- Miscellaneous: seminar committee, muon cooling, GHOST, Slava's thesis, electron-positron collider for dark matter search
- Skew PIC: Modified genetic algorithm on ifarm to generate Gaussian-distributed individuals instead of uniformly-distributed individuals for optimization of large variable sets. Considered Chebyshev expansion of magnetic fields and optimizing nonlinear optics in Skew PIC channel in terms of Chebyshev polynomial coefficients instead of standard Taylor series approach. "Chebyshev-like" approach forces simultaneous optimization of sextupole and octupole components, which reduces the beam size by ~25% for the same initial distribution.
- Merger: Implementing a transition section between straight and toroid sections to best avoid emittance growth. Still working on verifying magnetized distribution properties from distribution created using a flat beam transform and propagating through a solenoid.
- Simulated ePb collision in JLEIC IR section. Preliminary analysis of the correlation between color charge propagation and impact parameter (b), the path length traveled in the medium following the first collision.
- Continuing on dynamic aperture study with tune scan for the JLEIC ion collider ring.
- Prepare for the proceeding paper in IPAC'17
- Studied EIC Community Review Report, and organized two discussion sessions
- Continued to work with other collaborators to prepare the 2nd cooling experiment at IMP
- Initiated a discussion of a new JLab LDRD for bunched beam cooling
- Started re-examination of several JLab design issues discussed in the EIC review report
- Continued preparation of JLEIC Spring Collaboration Meeting, worked on confirmation of speakers
- Started preparation of IPAC17 contributed talk, posters and papers
- Miscellaneous: many meetings, etc.