From Administrative
Revision as of 08:45, 23 July 2018 by Satogata (Talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

In Progress

Director - M. Spata
No report. Accelerator Division Office.

Accelerator Physics - T. Satogata (Interim CASA Department Head)
Todd Satogata

  • Previous two weeks (July 9-July 20)
    • ADMIN: Leadership/group meetings, staffing input and planning
    • ADMIN: Audrey move transition, Li-Shi meeting (Jul 16)
    • JLEIC: pCDR writing, template, impedance/HE/R&D meetings
    • JLEIC: Summer student work on Booster simulations, training
    • ODU: Randy PhD defense (Jul 12, passed!)
  • Next two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
    • ADMIN: Leadership/group meetings, staffing input and planning
    • ADMIN: DOE Operations Review (Jul 25-26)
    • JLEIC: pCDR writing, template, EIC lunch, impedance/HE/R&D meetings
    • JLEIC: Complete Booster vacuum tech note calculations
    • JLEIC: NAS report release presentation (Jul 24)
    • JLEIC: Summer student work on Booster simulations, training
    • JLEIC: EIC User's Group Meeting (Catholic University, Jul 30-Aug 2)
    • JLEIC: Summer student poster session (Aug 3)
    • IPAC18: Finalize proceedings, IPAC'18 delegate survey report

Alex Bogacz

  • Previous two weeks (July 9-July 20)
    • VACATION: Jul 9-Jul 13
    • ADMIN: Phys Rev Accel Beams paper review
  • Next two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
    • MUONS: Summary on muon acceleration for European Strategy Group
    • PERLE: Refinement on PERLE lattice
    • PERLE: Refinement on the LHeC ERL lattice

Rui Li

  • Previous two weeks (July 9-July 20)
    • JLEIC: Finished the transverse coupled bunch instability (TCBI) calculations using ZAP and my mathematica. Get good agreement. And the mathematica gives more details of the particular HOM that cause the high growth rate that would help the SRF people to improve their HOM damper design for mitigating the instability
    • JLEIC: Finished my writing for the ICFA newsletter. When checking more details of my preCDR writing and hoping to use it for the ICFA newsletter, I found many details in my preCDR writing can be improved -- the statement can be more precise,and estimations can be done with more consistent formulas. I will send you my ICFA newsletter writing as the new version of my preCDR writing, probably later today or early next week.
  • Next two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
    • JLEIC: Summarize the LCBI and TCBI results and be ready to present at JLEIC R&D meeting and for technote writeup
    • JLEIC: Going over the whole list of collective effects forJLEIC, understand what has been done and what need to be done(especially the work need to be done before the next collaboration meeting), and make a list of plan for my studies in the next several month

Edy Nissen

  • Previous two weeks (July 9-July 20)
    • JLEIC: Mainly working on the booster working point issue. Have gone from <50% to 63% beam survival.
    • JLEIC: The longitudinal anomaly appears to be some sort of artifact of using 2d space charge, so this has been discontinued, unfortunately this makes calculations very slow
    • JLEIC: Assisted in formatting word tables into latex for the pCDR
  • Next two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
    • JLEIC: Continue the working point simulations
    • JLEIC: Work on transfer lines as soon as the geometric data is available
    • JLEIC: Provide any additional assistance to the pCDR

Chris Tennant

  • Previous two weeks (July 9-July 20)
    • VACATION: July 16-19
    • JLEIC: seek counsel for path forward with S2E
    • JLEIC: pCDR writing
  • Next two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
    • ADMIN: Catch up from time away
    • LERF: isotope kick-off meeting
    • JLEIC: editing/writing pCDR (this will be a common theme in future biweeklies)

Accelerator R & D - Y. Zhang
Fanglei Lin

  • Provided JLEIC electron polarization contribution to the ICFA Beam Dynamics Newsletter.
  • Provided the new electron ring parameters to Tim's group, Leigh, Rui and Shaoheng.
  • Working with the student on the storage ring cooler.
  • Miscellaneous: attended a meeting with Peter McIntyre, attended the JLEIC R&D meeting, attended JLEIC cooler project kickoff meeting, attended JLEIC general meeting.

Vasiliy Morozov

  • My main activities in the past two weeks were:
    • Geometry tagging LDRD: simulations and data analysis.
    • Ion beam loss studies: work with Hannah on beam loss simulations
    • Writing of ICFA news letter contribution
  • Main activities planned for the next two weeks:
    • Preparation of DoE R&D quarterly report
    • Ion collider ring design
    • Beam loss studies
    • Writing of ICFA news letter and pCDR

Amy Sy

  • Prepared and gave presentation on LDRD proposal "Laser driven polarized D source for JLEIC" at LDRD review.
  • Working on Skew PIC closeout report.
  • Starting simulations of transverse feedback system in the ion collider ring. Using Elegant lattice with injection optics to study effects of injection errors on beam stability.

Guohui Wei

  • On Leave

Yuhong Zhang

  • Continued development of HE-JLEIC design concept
  • Gave a presentation at LDRD proposal review
  • Started R&D activities on two FOA grants (bunched beam electron experiment and micro-bunching based coherent electron cooling)
  • Continued writing pre-CDR
  • Started editing of ICFA beam dynamics newsletter

Computational Physics - Y. Roblin

Yves Roblin:

  • Past two weeks
    • JLEIC:
      • pCDR writing
      • looking at running with two IPs, effect on beam-beam
      • presentation to meeting on status of bbeam
    • CEBAF:
      • BTEAM meetings
      • preparing slides for ops talk July 26
      • slides for PREX collaboration talk
      • attended part of the PAC
      • assisted nuc. Phys .for preparing for PAC
      • revising the ORFP, writing test plans for low DE/E running
  • Next two weeks:
    • OPS pre-startup talk
    • BTEAM, more work on preparing for startup
    • PCDR writing, beambeam

Dennis Turner

  • Last two weeks
    • rayTrace:
      • Modified the rayTrace data collection tool to retrieve the design lattice with ced2elegant rather than eDecks.
      • Modified rayTrace to output data in SDDS format with the columns/parameters as requested by Tief.
      • Code cleanup and numerous other modifications
    • Audit rules:
      • Started implementing a tool to audit the design decks as per the audit rules in your technote.
    • Attended BTeam meeting 7/10.
    • Doctor appointment 7/16.
  • Next two weeks
    • Continue work on rayTrace. Finish data collection tool and begin work on analysis tools.
    • Continue work on deck audit tool.
    • Vacation 7/25 to 7/29
    • Control room shifts start 8/2 (swing).

He Zhang

  • Last two weeks
    • DA-Based Generating Functions
      • A few weeks ago, the C++ codes that reads a truncated transfer map from COSY Infinity and constructs the 2nd kind of generating function of the truncated map were developed. These codes were revised and extended. Now given the truncated map, the codes can construct anyone of the four popular kinds of generating functions per user’s require. The results are verified with COSY Infinity 9.0. The coefficients of all the dominating terms agree. There are some terms with much smaller coefficients and the value of those small coefficients may be different. I suspect this is the result of double floating point operations and it is tolerable. It should not affect the symplectic tracking, which should be verified later when the tracking codes are ready.
      • To maintain the symplecticity in tracking, what we really need is not the generating function, but the relations between the mixed phase space coordinates. These relations can be derived from the generating functions. However, I noticed that the relations between the mixed coordinates are mid-step product when we construct the generating function, which means we can derive the mixed coordinate relations without the generating functions. I will test this theory in the tracking code.
      • The truncated map parser is also revised. Previously, one needs to edit the COSY Infinity output by removing some text before the codes can load the map. Now the code can read the original COSY Infinity output. The new parser also solved one previous problem when the da orders are higher than 10.
      • The tpsa code, used for da operations in the construction of the generating functions, was also updated.
      • Started documenting the algorithm.
    • Investigate and write about the low-energy cooler for pCDR
    • Write a brief report for 2017 Accelerator R&D fund
    • Write a brief plan for future cooling code development
    • Discussed with Rongli about dust particle transfer. This is much more complicated than expected.
    • NERSC account reactivated.
    • ICAP trip settled.
  • Next two weeks
    • Finish the symplectic tracking code, benchmark with COSY, and document the process.
    • Finish and test JSPEC package of cooling with arbitrary electron beam
    • Write one section for pCDR on cooling efficiency enhancement

Kirsten Deitrick

  • No report

Diagnostic Development - K. Jordan
Kevin Jordan

  • Continued efforts on the testing of LCLS-II cryomodules in the LERF. The cable termination should begin this week - effort has suffered due to lack of man power & priority during the SAD.I continue to inventory parts for mechanical assembly of bridging components & end cans.
  • I have been working with Steve Shuring & Jonathan Creel to ensure the LERF transfer line, 1/4 & full cryomodule get cleaned up & cooled down in the next couple weeks when the CHL is reconfigured for operations. The heaters & waveguide needed to be reconfigured from F100 to C20 style cryomodule.
  • Joined Joe on trip to RadiaBeam, this was a preliminary design review of the SBIR-II high speed, high power wire scanner

Joe Gubeli

  • Worked on a new SLM diagnostic for ARC 7. The layout is nearly complete and am waiting on a few specifications from Mike T to finish the design.
  • Had a progress meeting with Radiabeam on the high power, high speed wire scanner. The meeting was very productive. The design is fairly mature with some modifications requested. A timeline and installation location for the various tests were discussed as well.

Michael Tiefenback

  • More followup on magnet integrator tasks, particularly concerning mis-wired quadrupoles. (Two more were found.) We have to be able to _know_ that we're done on this.
  • continuing assessment (with operator Brandi Cade) of cryogenic heat load calibration vs. JT setting to characterize the linac heat load. The benefit will be to guide a better match of RF heat (Q0 dissipation) against resistive heat so that RF state transitions are more transparent to CHL operation. Still looks promising.
  • Continuing on requirements for diagnostic optimization for SLMs in Arc7A and elsewhere. Still investigating resolution issues with Gubeli and hardware.
  • Preparation for CLAS12 accelerator update talk 10 July.

LERF - S. Benson (Done)

  • July 9-20
    • Worked on pCDR editing
    • Completed Quarterly report for 2018 FOA project
    • Held Cooler ring meetings and wrote up minutes.
    • Analyzed use of harmonic RF to enlarge longitudinal acceptance cooler.
    • Wrote up electron cooling section for ICFA BD newsletter
    • Held status meeting for Electron Cooling FOA project
    • Sent out invitation for mini-workshop for ERLs in an EIC
    • Researched application of CSU equipment so that we might keep the CSU laser at the LERF
    • Review GTS magnetized gun paper
  • July 23-Aug. 3
    • Revise LOD for isotope work
    • Attend kickoff meeting for isotope project
    • Analyze CEC study by Stupakov to derive ERL specifications
    • Attend Operations review
    • Try to define HZDR collaboration
    • Write up cooling section of HE-JLEIC appendix

A. Hutton (Done)

  • July 9-20
    • Wrote up trip report from “Electrons for the LHC - LHeC/FCCeh and Perle Workshop in Orsay.” Distributed to JLab Directorate and the ALCC (America’s Linear Collider Committee).
    • Provided beam-loss scenarios for PERLE to help them prepare for nuclear regulatory approval.
    • Read and made comments on the JLEIC PreCDR - this will be a weekly responsibility until October. This was detailed comments on the Chapters assigned to me as well as an overview of all the Chapters looking for inconsistencies.
    • Received an invitation for a plenary talk on transverse cavities at the next HL-LHC Collaboration meeting; started laying out the talk and requesting input from the different labs that have been involved.
    • Initiated preparations for a Kick-Off Meeting for the Isotope Project. Completed ~50% of introduction.