Difference between revisions of "2018-08-03"

From Administrative
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "'''In Progress''' '''Director - M. Spata <br>''' ''No report.'' Accelerator Division Office. ---- '''Accelerator Physics - T. Satogata (Interim CASA Director)'''<br> Todd...")
 
 
(13 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
'''In Progress'''
 
 
'''Director - M. Spata <br>'''
 
''No report.''  Accelerator Division Office.
 
 
 
----
 
 
'''Accelerator Physics - T. Satogata (Interim CASA Director)'''<br>
 
'''Accelerator Physics - T. Satogata (Interim CASA Director)'''<br>
Todd Satogata
+
'''Todd Satogata'''
 
* Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
 
* Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
 
** ADMIN: Leadership meetings, staffing input and planning
 
** ADMIN: Leadership meetings, staffing input and planning
Line 26: Line 19:
 
** ODU: Sal Sosa annual review presentation (Aug 9)
 
** ODU: Sal Sosa annual review presentation (Aug 9)
 
** IPAC18: IPAC'18 delegate survey report
 
** IPAC18: IPAC'18 delegate survey report
 +
** JACOW: 2018 Team Meeting agenda and cost review
  
Alex Bogacz
+
'''Alex Bogacz'''
 
*Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
 
*Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
 
** ADMIN: Materials for European strategy collaboration:
 
** ADMIN: Materials for European strategy collaboration:
Line 41: Line 35:
 
** ADMIN: Tech Transfer database training
 
** ADMIN: Tech Transfer database training
  
Rui Li
+
'''Rui Li'''
 
*Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
 
*Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
 
** JLEIC: Calculate resistive-wall impedance contributions to the coupled bunch instabilities. Found out that for the electron ring, their effects are negligible for the longitudinal coupled bunch instability, but they play a major role for the transverse coupled bunch instability (dominant over the RF cavity HOM effects).
 
** JLEIC: Calculate resistive-wall impedance contributions to the coupled bunch instabilities. Found out that for the electron ring, their effects are negligible for the longitudinal coupled bunch instability, but they play a major role for the transverse coupled bunch instability (dominant over the RF cavity HOM effects).
* JLEIC: Summarize the LCBI and TCBI results and presented them at the impedance meeting
+
** JLEIC: Summarize the LCBI and TCBI results and presented them at the impedance meeting
* JLEIC: Review early literatures on collective instabilities
+
** JLEIC: Review early literatures on collective instabilities
 
* Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
 
* Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
 
** JLEIC: modify the section of preCDR to include new findings of resistive wall effect on CBI
 
** JLEIC: modify the section of preCDR to include new findings of resistive wall effect on CBI
Line 51: Line 45:
 
** JLEIC: digest discussions on the impedance meeting,  forming up my vision for the impedance studies
 
** JLEIC: digest discussions on the impedance meeting,  forming up my vision for the impedance studies
  
Edy Nissen
+
'''Edy Nissen'''
 
* Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
 
* Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
 
** JLEIC: Booster working point simulations, up to 96% survival but still with long-term beam stability issues
 
** JLEIC: Booster working point simulations, up to 96% survival but still with long-term beam stability issues
Line 59: Line 53:
 
** JLEIC: Assist with pCDR as necessary (referencs, tables, Booster section)
 
** JLEIC: Assist with pCDR as necessary (referencs, tables, Booster section)
  
Chris Tennant
+
'''Chris Tennant'''
 
* Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
 
* Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
 
** LERF: LERF lattice study for isotope production (no constraints)
 
** LERF: LERF lattice study for isotope production (no constraints)
Line 69: Line 63:
  
 
----
 
----
'''Accelerator R &amp; D - Y. Zhang''' ('''Awaiting Update''')<br>
+
'''Accelerator R &amp; D - Y. Zhang'''<br>
Fanglei Lin
+
 
*Finished the new electron collider ring design(s) and presented in the JLEIC R&D meeting.
+
'''Fanglei Lin'''
*Helping the student and working on the storage ring cooler project.
+
 
* Updating the electron collider ring design for the pre-CDR.
 
* Updating the electron collider ring design for the pre-CDR.
* Miscellaneous: attended CASA group meeting,  attended the JLEIC R&D meetings, attended JLEIC general meeting, attended storage ring bi-weekly meeting, attended innovative electron cooling project status meeting.  
+
* Helping the student and working on the storage ring cooler project.
 +
* Miscellaneous: attended innovative electron cooling project status meeting, discussion the synchrotron radiation in the electron ring with engineers.  
  
Vasiliy Morozov
+
'''Vasiliy Morozov'''
 
* Last two weeks
 
* Last two weeks
**Compiling a DoE quarterly report
+
** Attending EIC User Group Meeting
**Work on beam loss studies with Hannah
+
** Ion polarization: writing a pCDR contribution on ion polarization  control at 200 GeV, teleconference with Anatoliy's group
**Geometry tagging LDRD: running cross-section calculations on the farm
+
** Editing a pCDR chapter on crab crossing
**Polarization: teleconference with Anatoliy's group
+
** Working on beam loss studies with Hannah
 +
** Geometry tagging LDRD: building GEMC model of the detector  regions and running cross section calculations
 
* Next two weeks
 
* Next two weeks
**Ion collider ring design
+
** Ion collider ring design
**Attending EIC users' group meeting
+
** Writing pCDR contributions
 +
** Geometry tagging LDRD
  
Amy Sy
+
'''Amy Sy'''
*Working on Skew PIC closeout report.
+
* Working on Skew PIC closeout report.
*Working with ion collider ring injection lattice in elegant to start some simulations of injection error effects and injection damping requirements. Ensuring proper beam distribution and cutoffs for injection mode. Checking phase and voltage of the RF cavity for longitudinal stability. Modified lattice to recirculate at crossing (injection) point rather than IP. Preliminary simulations of emittance growth due to transverse injection offset show reasonable agreement between calculation and simulation.
+
* Working with transverse feedback pickup and kicker elements in Elegant. Working with the TFBFilterSetup module to calculate the FIR filter coefficients for a transverse feedback system in  the ion collider ring. Literature study of decoherence effects due to transverse position errors at injection. Studying decoherence effects due to transverse position errors in the ion collider ring.
*Will run GEMC simulations for tracking of final states from incoherent diffractive scattering events using current detector model and updated (using new lattices) detector model
+
* Invited to participate in a DOE review of the Mu2e project at  Fermilab in October.
  
Guohui Wei
+
'''Guohui Wei'''
*On Leave
+
* On Leave
  
Yuhong Zhang
+
'''Yuhong Zhang'''
*Completed HE-JLEIC, provided luminosity to physicists (Rolf Ent), gave presentation at JLEIC general meeting
+
* Attended EICUG meeting and gave a talk
*Completed FOA quarterly report on IMP cooling exp.
+
* Prepared EICUG talk
*Completed editing of ICFA Beam Dynamics Newsletter    articles, wrote three sections (introduction, overview    and cooling scheme)
+
* Started organization of EIC Accelerator collaboration meeting
*Completed two sections on cooling for JLEIC preCDR writing DC cooler section
+
* Continued writing JLEIC pre-CDR sections
*Worked on EIC accelerator collaboration meeting organization (email announcement, poster, etc)
+
* Participated FOA R&D (MB CeC and Storage-ring cooler), attended telephones
+
* Other misc activities on JLEIC
+
  
 
----
 
----
 
'''Computational Physics - Y. Roblin'''  ('''Awaiting Update''')<br>
 
'''Computational Physics - Y. Roblin'''  ('''Awaiting Update''')<br>
  
Yves Roblin:
+
'''Yves Roblin'''
*Past two weeks
+
* OPS: preparing for upcoming run
**JLEIC:
+
* OPS: BTEAM meeetings. Now weekly again.
***pCDR writing
+
* OPS: incorporated new optics into CED
***looking at running with two IPs, effect on beam-beam
+
* OPS: meetings with physics regarding energy determination for past experiments
***presentation to meeting on status of bbeam
+
* JLEIC: pCDR writing, pCDR meeting
**CEBAF:
+
* ADMIN: acting Casa Director during Todd’s absence, Leadership meeting.
***BTEAM meetings
+
* ADMIN: budget. Adjusting charged hours for a “soft “ landing and closing  MEPCEC
***preparing slides for ops talk July 26
+
* ADMIN: budget: preparing projections for JLECBB
***slides for PREX collaboration talk
+
***attended part of the PAC
+
***assisted nuc. Phys .for preparing for PAC
+
***revising the ORFP, writing test plans for low DE/E running
+
*Next two weeks:
+
**OPS pre-startup talk
+
**BTEAM, more work on preparing for startup
+
**PCDR writing, beambeam
+
  
Dennis Turner
+
'''Dennis Turner'''
*Last two weeks
+
* Shifting back to operations
**rayTrace:
+
***Modified the rayTrace data collection tool to retrieve the design lattice with ced2elegant rather than eDecks.
+
***Modified rayTrace to output data in SDDS format with the columns/parameters as requested by Tief.
+
***Code cleanup and numerous other modifications
+
**Audit rules:
+
***Started implementing a tool to audit the design decks as per the audit rules in your technote.
+
**Attended BTeam meeting 7/10.
+
**Doctor appointment 7/16.
+
*Next two weeks
+
**Continue work on rayTrace.  Finish data collection tool and begin work on analysis tools.
+
**Continue work on deck audit tool.
+
**Vacation 7/25 to 7/29
+
**Control room shifts start 8/2 (swing).
+
  
He Zhang
+
'''He Zhang'''
*Last two weeks
+
* Last two weeks
**DA-Based Generating Functions
+
** Beam-beam code development
***A few weeks ago, the C++ codes that reads a truncated transfer map from COSY Infinity and constructs the 2nd kind of generating function of the truncated map were developed. These codes were revised and extended. Now given the truncated map, the codes can construct anyone of the four popular kinds of generating functions per user’s require. The results are verified with COSY Infinity 9.0. The coefficients of all the dominating terms agree. There are some terms with much smaller coefficients and the value of those small coefficients may be different. I suspect this is the result of double floating point operations and it is tolerable. It should not affect the symplectic tracking, which should be verified later when the tracking codes are ready.  
+
*** The symplectic tracking code using one of the four classical generating functions has been finished and benchmarked with COSY Infinity 9.0. To use the new code, the user only needs to provide the truncated map and specify which generating function to use for symplectic tracking. The generating function will be constructed automatically. The following figures show the benchmark for the symplectic tracking of 1,000,000 turns using the first generating function. Our code agrees well with COSY Infinity. The same benchmark has been done for all the other three generating function and for tracking with a truncated map. In all the cases, the both codes agree with each other. A few places of the code are revised for better efficiency. A new parser is also added so that the truncated map generated by MAD-X can be loaded. But we have not done anything to convert the coordinates between COSY Infinity and MAD-X. A bug in the original TPSA code is found and fixed.  
***To maintain the symplecticity in tracking, what we really need is not the generating function, but the relations between the mixed phase space coordinates. These relations can be derived from the generating functions. However, I noticed that the relations between the mixed coordinates are mid-step product when we construct the generating function, which means we can derive the mixed coordinate relations without the generating functions. I will test this theory in the tracking code.  
+
*** Now we can consider how to fit the tracking code into BeamBeam3D. The following issues needs to be addressed:
***The truncated map parser is also revised. Previously, one needs to edit the COSY Infinity output by removing some text before the codes can load the map. Now the code can read the original COSY Infinity output. The new parser also solved one previous problem when the da orders are higher than 10.  
+
**** Calling C++ functions in Fortran.
***The tpsa code, used for da operations in the construction of the generating functions, was also updated.  
+
**** Convert COSY Infinity and MAD-X coordinates to BeamBeam3D coordinates.
***Started documenting the algorithm.  
+
**** Parallelization.
**Investigate and write about the low-energy cooler for pCDR
+
*** I have read some tutorials on calling C++ in Fortran. In principle, it can be done. Need more testing to learn how it works.
**Write a brief report for 2017 Accelerator R&D fund
+
** JSPEC code development
**Write a brief plan for future cooling code development
+
*** Continue working on the arbitrary electron bunch module for JSPEC. A new electron beam model has been added. The interfaces between the following modules: electron beam, friction force calculation, cooling rate calculation, have to be revised. This work has not been finished.  
**Discussed with Rongli about dust particle transfer. This is much more complicated than expected.
+
** Others
**NERSC account reactivated.
+
*** Investigated and wrote about high energy DC cooler
**ICAP trip settled.
+
*** Submitted the abstract for ICAP’18
*Next two weeks
+
* Work plan in the following two weeks
**Finish the symplectic tracking code, benchmark with COSY, and document the process.
+
** Finish fitting the arbitrary electron bunch module into JSPEC.
**Finish and test JSPEC package of cooling with arbitrary electron beam
+
** Write about enhancing cooling efficiency for pCDR.
**Write one section for pCDR on cooling efficiency enhancement
+
** Document the work on symplectic tracking.
  
Kirsten Deitrick
+
'''Kirsten Deitrick'''
*Last two weeks
+
* Last two weeks
**Magnetized beam (LERF PoP):
+
** Magnetized beam (LERF PoP)
***look at 3D FEL booster optimization results (rerunning, had to fix orientation)
+
*** check 3D FEL booster optimization results (need to re-run)
**Straight Merger at CBETA:
+
*** magnetization preservation through mergers (setting up)
***continue simulations
+
** Straight Merger at CBETA
***explain discrepancies (qualitative behavior matches relatively well)
+
*** finish coil field calculation for calibration check (final verdict: conflicting calibration data)
***calculating coil field from numerically integrated formula to check calibration (ongoing)
+
*** continue simulations
**eCloud:
+
*** explain discrepancies (conflicting calibration data, beam wasn't set-up carefully - somewhat messy)
***double check PyECLOUD results match for dipole when using different method (so other quads,sexts are accurate)
+
** Impedance
**Impedance:
+
*** finish collision ion ring broadband impedance presentation
***update all rings for RF/SRF gate valves/bellows
+
*** meeting (Aug. 2)
***add estimates to ion ring using short bunch (electron) machines
+
** Meetings
***schedule next impedance meeting (Aug. 2)
+
*** Cooler (x1) (next week skipped due to Ops Review)
***start making presentation of collision ion ring broadband impedance
+
*** Impedance
**Meetings:
+
*** NAS report webinar
***CASA
+
** Misc
***Cooler (x2)
+
*** LINAC18 presentation practice (x2)
***JLEIC (x2)
+
*** Last of Geoff's REU student help
**Misc:
+
* Next two weeks:
***setup/introduction for student seminar (x2)
+
** Magnetized beam (LERF PoP)
***practice presentation with Geoff's students
+
*** check 3D FEL booster optimization results (after the re-run)
***did soon-to-expire training
+
*** magnetization preservation through mergers (finish setting up, run)
***helped Bhawin (ODU) with software setup
+
** Straight Merger at CBETA
*Next two weeks:
+
*** continue simulations (using both possible calibrations)
**Magnetized beam (LERF PoP):
+
*** data analysis (clean, fitting)
***check 3D FEL booster optimization results
+
*** use simulations to determine correct fitting formula
***magnetization preservation through mergers
+
** Impedance
**Straight Merger at CBETA:
+
*** update webpage
***finish coil field calculation for calibration check
+
*** schedule next meeting
***continue simulations
+
** Meetings
***explain discrepancies
+
*** CASA
**eCloud:
+
*** Cooler (x2)
***run for quadrupoles/sextupoles/drifts, just to demonstrate eCloud density in dipoles is greatest
+
*** JLEIC (x2)
**Impedance:
+
** Misc
***finish collision ion ring broadband impedance presentation
+
*** Linac18 presentation practice
***meeting (Aug. 2)
+
*** start writing Linac18 papers
**Meetings:
+
*** Travel arrangements, visa for Linac18
***CASA
+
***Cooler (x1) (next week skipped due to Ops Review)
+
***JLEIC (x1) (next week skipped due to Ops Review)
+
***Impedance
+
**Misc:
+
***LINAC18 presentation practice
+
***start writing up Linac papers
+
  
 
----
 
----
'''Diagnostic Development - K. Jordan''' ('''Awaiting Update''')<br>
+
'''Diagnostic Development - K. Jordan'''<br>
Kevin Jordan
+
* Major effort is still LCLS-II conversion of the LERF for cryomodule testing; last week I witnessed the final leak testing and leak checking of the new Helium transfer line at Eden Cryogenics in Columbus Ohio. This was successful, shipped, received, and delivered to theLERF vault on 7/18/20018. There were meetings held to orchestrate the installation and field fit welding. This project is competing with resources as the CEBAF machine relies for the fall Physics run. (near) Daily updates can be followed at https://wiki.jlab.org/lerf/index.php/Daily_Activities
+
* Continued supporting the program choices for the upcoming IBIC conference. There are a number of folks that did not get approval
+
* Working both the Radiabeam and Alphacore SBIRs
+
* Preparing for the Isotope kickoff
+
  
Joe Gubeli
+
'''Kevin Jordan'''
* Time was spent primarily on the new ARC 7 SLM proposal. I had severalchamber design iterations with the end result something that is both easy to manufacture and uses off the shelf parts like a 6"L - 4" OD hydro form bellows. I sent the model out to three vendors and received quotes from two. The first quote is for $5,995 and the second for $3,675 per chamber. I expect the third quote soon. The design for the entire project is nearly complete and I met with the CASA Diagnostics Group and Brian F. from operations to discuss the design. One small change was requested and then made. I will put together a presentation on the optical and mechanical design as well as the cost and interface requirements. Mike T. will add a few slides on the justification for why is this is needed to setup and monitor CEBAF. The final presentation will be made to the DPIT group.
+
* LCLS-II was again the major effort
* Worked with Brian F. to move five CEBAF viewer flags into locations to better overlap with the electron beam. We moved the four viewers on the E0 stack as well as the Lambertson viewer.
+
** Transfer line was installed, welded, and leak checked
* Met with Wes M. on the EPICS interface to the hardware for the Radiabeam CRADA on the high power - high speed wire scanner. Had some conversations with Radiabeam's lead engineer on this project.
+
** FEL 01/02 (1/4 + full C50 modules) were cooled down - this was major effort by a number of groups because despite my requests no one looked at the hardware until the last days and found the CAMAC serial highway dead among other problems. This was crucial to a tasks including the cool down of the first two LCLS-II modules in October as well as Gigi & Gary Chen’s Q0 studies.
* Had a few meetings on the LCLSII LERF project.
+
** The cable termination for CM # 2 is progressing well, wrapping up orphan cables - a few more to pull in...
 +
* Presented a talk on isotope target concepts at the Isotope Kickoff meeting
 +
* Joined Joe in weekly Radiabeam meeting on wire scanner controls
 +
* Attended review for Arc 7 SLM design
  
Michael Tiefenback
+
'''Joe Gubeli'''
* Diagnostic optimization for SLMs in Arc7A (and elsewhere), especially regarding practically achievable resolution, is now a front-burner issue.
+
* The majority of time was spent on finishing the proposal for four new diagnostics in CEBAF ARC 7. Presented the proposal to a number of people and had a very good feedback.  
* Magnet integrator tasks, as before, concerning in particular magnet mis-wiring.  I _believe_ we are done with this now, but some revalidation sof measurements remains undone pending technician scheduling.
+
* Had a telcon with Radiabeam on the high power high speed wire scanner.  
* Procedure development and data analysis for intercalibration of cryogenic heat load vs. JT setting is going well. The heater logic will still need estimates of Q0 for the cavities for initial configuration, but a significant improvement in CHL load stabilization appears possible.
+
* Had several meetings on the LCLS-II in LERF test. Pushing through a trolley beam hoist to move the bellows on the cryocan end. Ceiling obstructions were removed from beam installation.
* Preparation for beam and system tests in August, particularly time-of-flight related measurements in the NL: potentially huge speedup of cold-start cavity phasing and an alternate, more precise, and non-magnetic cavity gradient calibration. Item #3 above is operationally linked to the RF manipulations involved here.
+
* Had the kickoff meet for the Isotope project.
 +
 
 +
'''Michael Tiefenback'''
 +
* Diagnostic optimization for SLMs in Arc7A, practically achievable resolution, layout details concerning slits and diffractive consequences. Writing up a coherent justification for this diagnostic hardware.
 +
* Preparation for beam and system tests in August, particularly time-of-flight related measurements in the NL: potentially huge speedup of cold-start cavity phasing and an alternate, more precise, non-magnetic cavity gradient calibration. Item #5 below is operationally linked to the RF manipulations involved here.
 +
* Updating the M56 tuning section of ops procedures to replace instructions using obsolete and no-longer-available hardware with steps using updated and available signals.
 +
* Residual nightmares concerning magnet mis-wiring, although I expect to be done with this now. Some small issues arose with 1L07/1L08 girder mods.
 +
* A bit more coordination and data planning concerning intercalibration of cryogenic heat load vs. JT setting as we move back to 2K operation.
  
 
----
 
----
'''LERF - S. Benson''' ('''Awaiting Update''')
+
 
*July 9-20
+
'''LERF - S. Benson'''
**Worked on pCDR editing
+
* July 23-Aug. 3
**Completed Quarterly report for 2018 FOA project
+
** ISOTOPES: Prepared for and attended kickoff meeting for isotope project
**Held Cooler ring meetings and wrote up minutes.
+
** JLEIC: Went over CEC study by Stupakov to derive ERL specifications
**Analyzed use of harmonic RF to enlarge longitudinal acceptance cooler.
+
** ADMIN: Attended Operations review
**Wrote up electron cooling section for ICFA BD newsletter
+
** JLEIC: Wrote up cooling section of HE-JLEIC appendix
**Held status meeting for Electron Cooling FOA project
+
** JLEIC: Worked on editing Cooling chapter of pCDR
**Sent out invitation for mini-workshop for ERLs in an EIC
+
** OPS: Met with Tim Minga to survey fire safety status of the LERF
**Researched application of CSU equipment so that we might keep the CSU laser at the LERF
+
** JLEIC: Held Cooling ring meetings and wrote up minutes.
**Review GTS magnetized gun paper
+
** JLEIC: Derived utility needs for cooling ring with Cooling ring group
*July 23-Aug. 3
+
** ADMIN: Held program committee meeting for "ERLs for EIC" mini workshop.
**Revise LOD for isotope work
+
* August 6-17
**Attend kickoff meeting for isotope project
+
** JLEIC: Visit Fermilab to plan out the FAST/IOTA transport of magnetized beam experiments.
**Analyze CEC study by Stupakov to derive ERL specifications
+
** JLEIC: Hold FOA project status meeting (Aug. 17)
**Attend Operations review
+
** ADMIN: Try to define HZDR collaboration
**Try to define HZDR collaboration
+
** ADMIN: Prepare ICPA-18 conference presentation.
**Write up cooling section of HE-JLEIC appendix
+
** OPS: Work on fire safety punch list items in the LERF
 +
** JLEIC: Continue to work on pCDR
 +
** ISOTOPES: Revise LOD for isotope work
 +
 
 
----
 
----
'''A. Hutton''' ('''Awaiting Update''')
+
 
* July 9-20
+
'''A. Hutton'''
** Wrote up trip report from “Electrons for the LHC - LHeC/FCCeh and Perle Workshop in Orsay.”  Distributed to JLab Directorate and the ALCC (America’s Linear Collider Committee).
+
* July 23-Aug 3
** Provided beam-loss scenarios for PERLE to help them prepare for nuclear regulatory approval. 
+
** JLEIC: Read all of the JLEIC PreCDR updates and sent out comments to the authors.  
** Read and made comments on the JLEIC PreCDR - this will be a weekly responsibility until October.  This was detailed comments on the Chapters assigned to me as well as an overview of all the Chapters looking for inconsistencies. 
+
** ISOTOPES: Prepared for the Isotope Kick-off meeting
** Received an invitation for a plenary talk on transverse cavities at the next HL-LHC Collaboration meeting; started laying out the talk and requesting input from the different labs that have been involved.   
+
** Started my invited talk on ''Transverse Deflecting Cavities'' for the ''HL-LHC Collaboration Workshop''.  Contacted people in the US, Europe and Japan to get input, incorporated slides I received from UK and ODU.   
** Initiated preparations for a Kick-Off Meeting for the Isotope Project.  Completed ~50% of introduction.
+
** Some discussion with Kirsten on the Cornell results

Latest revision as of 09:36, 6 August 2018

Accelerator Physics - T. Satogata (Interim CASA Director)
Todd Satogata

  • Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
    • ADMIN: Leadership meetings, staffing input and planning
    • ADMIN: DOE Operations Review (Jul 25-26)
    • JLEIC: pCDR writing, template, EIC lunch, impedance/HE/R&D meetings
    • JLEIC: NAS report release presentation (Jul 24)
    • JLEIC: Summer student work on Booster simulations, training
    • JLEIC: EIC User's Group Meeting (Catholic University, Jul 30-Aug 2)
    • JLEIC: Summer student poster session (Aug 3)
    • IPAC18: Finalize proceedings
  • Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
    • ADMIN: Leadership/group meetings, staffing input and planning
    • JLEIC: pCDR writing, template, EIC lunch, HE/R&D meetings
    • JLEIC: Complete Booster vacuum tech note calculations
    • JLEIC: Director's Cost Review round table (Aug 6)
    • JLEIC: P&C Meeting pCDR Update (Aug 13)
    • OPS: Re-engage with BTeam, CEBAF startup, OOC schedule input
    • ODU: Sal Sosa annual review presentation (Aug 9)
    • IPAC18: IPAC'18 delegate survey report
    • JACOW: 2018 Team Meeting agenda and cost review

Alex Bogacz

  • Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
    • ADMIN: Materials for European strategy collaboration:
      • PERLE with Orsay
      • LHeC with CERN
      • Muon accelerator with INFN Frascati
    • PERLE: Refinement on PERLE lattice
    • OPS: Arc 2 Optics: further phase advance optimization
  • Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
    • MUONS: Summary on muon acceleration for European Strategy Group
    • LHEC: Refinement on the LHeC ERL lattice
    • MUONS: NuFact SPC mtg. at Virginia Tech
    • ADMIN: Tech Transfer database training

Rui Li

  • Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
    • JLEIC: Calculate resistive-wall impedance contributions to the coupled bunch instabilities. Found out that for the electron ring, their effects are negligible for the longitudinal coupled bunch instability, but they play a major role for the transverse coupled bunch instability (dominant over the RF cavity HOM effects).
    • JLEIC: Summarize the LCBI and TCBI results and presented them at the impedance meeting
    • JLEIC: Review early literatures on collective instabilities
  • Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
    • JLEIC: modify the section of preCDR to include new findings of resistive wall effect on CBI
    • JLEIC: continue to develop more understandings on collective instabilities by going over literatures
    • JLEIC: digest discussions on the impedance meeting, forming up my vision for the impedance studies

Edy Nissen

  • Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
    • JLEIC: Booster working point simulations, up to 96% survival but still with long-term beam stability issues
    • JLEIC: Update pCDR contribution based on reviewer feedback
  • Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
    • JLEIC: Continue Booster working point simulations
    • JLEIC: Assist with pCDR as necessary (referencs, tables, Booster section)

Chris Tennant

  • Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
    • LERF: LERF lattice study for isotope production (no constraints)
    • ADMIN: planning mini-ERL workshop
  • Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
    • ISOTOPES: isotope kick-off meeting
    • ISOTOPES: isotope lattice design (with constraints as they become defined)
    • JLEIC: model 476 MHz linac for cooler ERL and work on longitudinal match using arc from Project-E

Accelerator R & D - Y. Zhang

Fanglei Lin

  • Updating the electron collider ring design for the pre-CDR.
  • Helping the student and working on the storage ring cooler project.
  • Miscellaneous: attended innovative electron cooling project status meeting, discussion the synchrotron radiation in the electron ring with engineers.

Vasiliy Morozov

  • Last two weeks
    • Attending EIC User Group Meeting
    • Ion polarization: writing a pCDR contribution on ion polarization control at 200 GeV, teleconference with Anatoliy's group
    • Editing a pCDR chapter on crab crossing
    • Working on beam loss studies with Hannah
    • Geometry tagging LDRD: building GEMC model of the detector regions and running cross section calculations
  • Next two weeks
    • Ion collider ring design
    • Writing pCDR contributions
    • Geometry tagging LDRD

Amy Sy

  • Working on Skew PIC closeout report.
  • Working with transverse feedback pickup and kicker elements in Elegant. Working with the TFBFilterSetup module to calculate the FIR filter coefficients for a transverse feedback system in the ion collider ring. Literature study of decoherence effects due to transverse position errors at injection. Studying decoherence effects due to transverse position errors in the ion collider ring.
  • Invited to participate in a DOE review of the Mu2e project at Fermilab in October.

Guohui Wei

  • On Leave

Yuhong Zhang

  • Attended EICUG meeting and gave a talk
  • Prepared EICUG talk
  • Started organization of EIC Accelerator collaboration meeting
  • Continued writing JLEIC pre-CDR sections

Computational Physics - Y. Roblin (Awaiting Update)

Yves Roblin

  • OPS: preparing for upcoming run
  • OPS: BTEAM meeetings. Now weekly again.
  • OPS: incorporated new optics into CED
  • OPS: meetings with physics regarding energy determination for past experiments
  • JLEIC: pCDR writing, pCDR meeting
  • ADMIN: acting Casa Director during Todd’s absence, Leadership meeting.
  • ADMIN: budget. Adjusting charged hours for a “soft “ landing and closing MEPCEC
  • ADMIN: budget: preparing projections for JLECBB

Dennis Turner

  • Shifting back to operations

He Zhang

  • Last two weeks
    • Beam-beam code development
      • The symplectic tracking code using one of the four classical generating functions has been finished and benchmarked with COSY Infinity 9.0. To use the new code, the user only needs to provide the truncated map and specify which generating function to use for symplectic tracking. The generating function will be constructed automatically. The following figures show the benchmark for the symplectic tracking of 1,000,000 turns using the first generating function. Our code agrees well with COSY Infinity. The same benchmark has been done for all the other three generating function and for tracking with a truncated map. In all the cases, the both codes agree with each other. A few places of the code are revised for better efficiency. A new parser is also added so that the truncated map generated by MAD-X can be loaded. But we have not done anything to convert the coordinates between COSY Infinity and MAD-X. A bug in the original TPSA code is found and fixed.
      • Now we can consider how to fit the tracking code into BeamBeam3D. The following issues needs to be addressed:
        • Calling C++ functions in Fortran.
        • Convert COSY Infinity and MAD-X coordinates to BeamBeam3D coordinates.
        • Parallelization.
      • I have read some tutorials on calling C++ in Fortran. In principle, it can be done. Need more testing to learn how it works.
    • JSPEC code development
      • Continue working on the arbitrary electron bunch module for JSPEC. A new electron beam model has been added. The interfaces between the following modules: electron beam, friction force calculation, cooling rate calculation, have to be revised. This work has not been finished.
    • Others
      • Investigated and wrote about high energy DC cooler
      • Submitted the abstract for ICAP’18
  • Work plan in the following two weeks
    • Finish fitting the arbitrary electron bunch module into JSPEC.
    • Write about enhancing cooling efficiency for pCDR.
    • Document the work on symplectic tracking.

Kirsten Deitrick

  • Last two weeks
    • Magnetized beam (LERF PoP)
      • check 3D FEL booster optimization results (need to re-run)
      • magnetization preservation through mergers (setting up)
    • Straight Merger at CBETA
      • finish coil field calculation for calibration check (final verdict: conflicting calibration data)
      • continue simulations
      • explain discrepancies (conflicting calibration data, beam wasn't set-up carefully - somewhat messy)
    • Impedance
      • finish collision ion ring broadband impedance presentation
      • meeting (Aug. 2)
    • Meetings
      • Cooler (x1) (next week skipped due to Ops Review)
      • Impedance
      • NAS report webinar
    • Misc
      • LINAC18 presentation practice (x2)
      • Last of Geoff's REU student help
  • Next two weeks:
    • Magnetized beam (LERF PoP)
      • check 3D FEL booster optimization results (after the re-run)
      • magnetization preservation through mergers (finish setting up, run)
    • Straight Merger at CBETA
      • continue simulations (using both possible calibrations)
      • data analysis (clean, fitting)
      • use simulations to determine correct fitting formula
    • Impedance
      • update webpage
      • schedule next meeting
    • Meetings
      • CASA
      • Cooler (x2)
      • JLEIC (x2)
    • Misc
      • Linac18 presentation practice
      • start writing Linac18 papers
      • Travel arrangements, visa for Linac18

Diagnostic Development - K. Jordan

Kevin Jordan

  • LCLS-II was again the major effort
    • Transfer line was installed, welded, and leak checked
    • FEL 01/02 (1/4 + full C50 modules) were cooled down - this was major effort by a number of groups because despite my requests no one looked at the hardware until the last days and found the CAMAC serial highway dead among other problems. This was crucial to a tasks including the cool down of the first two LCLS-II modules in October as well as Gigi & Gary Chen’s Q0 studies.
    • The cable termination for CM # 2 is progressing well, wrapping up orphan cables - a few more to pull in...
  • Presented a talk on isotope target concepts at the Isotope Kickoff meeting
  • Joined Joe in weekly Radiabeam meeting on wire scanner controls
  • Attended review for Arc 7 SLM design

Joe Gubeli

  • The majority of time was spent on finishing the proposal for four new diagnostics in CEBAF ARC 7. Presented the proposal to a number of people and had a very good feedback.
  • Had a telcon with Radiabeam on the high power high speed wire scanner.
  • Had several meetings on the LCLS-II in LERF test. Pushing through a trolley beam hoist to move the bellows on the cryocan end. Ceiling obstructions were removed from beam installation.
  • Had the kickoff meet for the Isotope project.

Michael Tiefenback

  • Diagnostic optimization for SLMs in Arc7A, practically achievable resolution, layout details concerning slits and diffractive consequences. Writing up a coherent justification for this diagnostic hardware.
  • Preparation for beam and system tests in August, particularly time-of-flight related measurements in the NL: potentially huge speedup of cold-start cavity phasing and an alternate, more precise, non-magnetic cavity gradient calibration. Item #5 below is operationally linked to the RF manipulations involved here.
  • Updating the M56 tuning section of ops procedures to replace instructions using obsolete and no-longer-available hardware with steps using updated and available signals.
  • Residual nightmares concerning magnet mis-wiring, although I expect to be done with this now. Some small issues arose with 1L07/1L08 girder mods.
  • A bit more coordination and data planning concerning intercalibration of cryogenic heat load vs. JT setting as we move back to 2K operation.

LERF - S. Benson

  • July 23-Aug. 3
    • ISOTOPES: Prepared for and attended kickoff meeting for isotope project
    • JLEIC: Went over CEC study by Stupakov to derive ERL specifications
    • ADMIN: Attended Operations review
    • JLEIC: Wrote up cooling section of HE-JLEIC appendix
    • JLEIC: Worked on editing Cooling chapter of pCDR
    • OPS: Met with Tim Minga to survey fire safety status of the LERF
    • JLEIC: Held Cooling ring meetings and wrote up minutes.
    • JLEIC: Derived utility needs for cooling ring with Cooling ring group
    • ADMIN: Held program committee meeting for "ERLs for EIC" mini workshop.
  • August 6-17
    • JLEIC: Visit Fermilab to plan out the FAST/IOTA transport of magnetized beam experiments.
    • JLEIC: Hold FOA project status meeting (Aug. 17)
    • ADMIN: Try to define HZDR collaboration
    • ADMIN: Prepare ICPA-18 conference presentation.
    • OPS: Work on fire safety punch list items in the LERF
    • JLEIC: Continue to work on pCDR
    • ISOTOPES: Revise LOD for isotope work

A. Hutton

  • July 23-Aug 3
    • JLEIC: Read all of the JLEIC PreCDR updates and sent out comments to the authors.
    • ISOTOPES: Prepared for the Isotope Kick-off meeting
    • Started my invited talk on Transverse Deflecting Cavities for the HL-LHC Collaboration Workshop. Contacted people in the US, Europe and Japan to get input, incorporated slides I received from UK and ODU.
    • Some discussion with Kirsten on the Cornell results