Difference between revisions of "2018-08-03"

From Administrative
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "'''In Progress''' '''Director - M. Spata <br>''' ''No report.'' Accelerator Division Office. ---- '''Accelerator Physics - T. Satogata (Interim CASA Director)'''<br> Todd...")
 
Line 71: Line 71:
 
'''Accelerator R &amp; D - Y. Zhang''' ('''Awaiting Update''')<br>
 
'''Accelerator R &amp; D - Y. Zhang''' ('''Awaiting Update''')<br>
 
Fanglei Lin
 
Fanglei Lin
*Finished the new electron collider ring design(s) and presented in the JLEIC R&D meeting.
+
*
*Helping the student and working on the storage ring cooler project.
+
* Updating the electron collider ring design for the pre-CDR.
+
* Miscellaneous: attended CASA group meeting,  attended the JLEIC R&D meetings, attended JLEIC general meeting, attended storage ring bi-weekly meeting, attended innovative electron cooling project status meeting.
+
  
 
Vasiliy Morozov
 
Vasiliy Morozov
* Last two weeks
+
*
**Compiling a DoE quarterly report
+
**Work on beam loss studies with Hannah
+
**Geometry tagging LDRD: running cross-section calculations on the farm
+
**Polarization: teleconference with Anatoliy's group
+
* Next two weeks
+
**Ion collider ring design
+
**Attending EIC users' group meeting
+
  
 
Amy Sy
 
Amy Sy
*Working on Skew PIC closeout report.
+
*
*Working with ion collider ring injection lattice in elegant to start some simulations of injection error effects and injection damping requirements. Ensuring proper beam distribution and cutoffs for injection mode. Checking phase and voltage of the RF cavity for longitudinal stability. Modified lattice to recirculate at crossing (injection) point rather than IP. Preliminary simulations of emittance growth due to transverse injection offset show reasonable agreement between calculation and simulation.
+
*Will run GEMC simulations for tracking of final states from incoherent diffractive scattering events using current detector model and updated (using new lattices) detector model
+
  
 
Guohui Wei
 
Guohui Wei
*On Leave
+
* On Leave
  
 
Yuhong Zhang
 
Yuhong Zhang
*Completed HE-JLEIC, provided luminosity to physicists (Rolf Ent), gave presentation at JLEIC general meeting
+
*  
*Completed FOA quarterly report on IMP cooling exp.
+
*Completed editing of ICFA Beam Dynamics Newsletter    articles, wrote three sections (introduction, overview    and cooling scheme)
+
*Completed two sections on cooling for JLEIC preCDR writing DC cooler section
+
*Worked on EIC accelerator collaboration meeting organization (email announcement, poster, etc)
+
* Participated FOA R&D (MB CeC and Storage-ring cooler), attended telephones
+
* Other misc activities on JLEIC
+
  
 
----
 
----
Line 107: Line 89:
  
 
Yves Roblin:
 
Yves Roblin:
*Past two weeks
+
*
**JLEIC:
+
***pCDR writing
+
***looking at running with two IPs, effect on beam-beam
+
***presentation to meeting on status of bbeam
+
**CEBAF:
+
***BTEAM meetings
+
***preparing slides for ops talk July 26
+
***slides for PREX collaboration talk
+
***attended part of the PAC
+
***assisted nuc. Phys .for preparing for PAC
+
***revising the ORFP, writing test plans for low DE/E running
+
*Next two weeks:
+
**OPS pre-startup talk
+
**BTEAM, more work on preparing for startup
+
**PCDR writing, beambeam
+
  
 
Dennis Turner
 
Dennis Turner
*Last two weeks
+
*
**rayTrace:
+
***Modified the rayTrace data collection tool to retrieve the design lattice with ced2elegant rather than eDecks.
+
***Modified rayTrace to output data in SDDS format with the columns/parameters as requested by Tief.
+
***Code cleanup and numerous other modifications
+
**Audit rules:
+
***Started implementing a tool to audit the design decks as per the audit rules in your technote.
+
**Attended BTeam meeting 7/10.
+
**Doctor appointment 7/16.
+
*Next two weeks
+
**Continue work on rayTrace.  Finish data collection tool and begin work on analysis tools.
+
**Continue work on deck audit tool.
+
**Vacation 7/25 to 7/29
+
**Control room shifts start 8/2 (swing).
+
  
 
He Zhang
 
He Zhang
*Last two weeks
+
*
**DA-Based Generating Functions
+
***A few weeks ago, the C++ codes that reads a truncated transfer map from COSY Infinity and constructs the 2nd kind of generating function of the truncated map were developed. These codes were revised and extended. Now given the truncated map, the codes can construct anyone of the four popular kinds of generating functions per user’s require. The results are verified with COSY Infinity 9.0. The coefficients of all the dominating terms agree. There are some terms with much smaller coefficients and the value of those small coefficients may be different. I suspect this is the result of double floating point operations and it is tolerable. It should not affect the symplectic tracking, which should be verified later when the tracking codes are ready.
+
***To maintain the symplecticity in tracking, what we really need is not the generating function, but the relations between the mixed phase space coordinates. These relations can be derived from the generating functions. However, I noticed that the relations between the mixed coordinates are mid-step product when we construct the generating function, which means we can derive the mixed coordinate relations without the generating functions. I will test this theory in the tracking code.
+
***The truncated map parser is also revised. Previously, one needs to edit the COSY Infinity output by removing some text before the codes can load the map. Now the code can read the original COSY Infinity output. The new parser also solved one previous problem when the da orders are higher than 10.
+
***The tpsa code, used for da operations in the construction of the generating functions, was also updated.
+
***Started documenting the algorithm.
+
**Investigate and write about the low-energy cooler for pCDR
+
**Write a brief report for 2017 Accelerator R&D fund
+
**Write a brief plan for future cooling code development
+
**Discussed with Rongli about dust particle transfer. This is much more complicated than expected.
+
**NERSC account reactivated.
+
**ICAP trip settled.
+
*Next two weeks
+
**Finish the symplectic tracking code, benchmark with COSY, and document the process.
+
**Finish and test JSPEC package of cooling with arbitrary electron beam
+
**Write one section for pCDR on cooling efficiency enhancement
+
  
 
Kirsten Deitrick
 
Kirsten Deitrick
*Last two weeks
+
*
**Magnetized beam (LERF PoP):
+
***look at 3D FEL booster optimization results (rerunning, had to fix orientation)
+
**Straight Merger at CBETA:
+
***continue simulations
+
***explain discrepancies (qualitative behavior matches relatively well)
+
***calculating coil field from numerically integrated formula to check calibration (ongoing)
+
**eCloud:
+
***double check PyECLOUD results match for dipole when using different method (so other quads,sexts are accurate)
+
**Impedance:
+
***update all rings for RF/SRF gate valves/bellows
+
***add estimates to ion ring using short bunch (electron) machines
+
***schedule next impedance meeting (Aug. 2)
+
***start making presentation of collision ion ring broadband impedance
+
**Meetings:
+
***CASA
+
***Cooler (x2)
+
***JLEIC (x2)
+
**Misc:
+
***setup/introduction for student seminar (x2)
+
***practice presentation with Geoff's students
+
***did soon-to-expire training
+
***helped Bhawin (ODU) with software setup
+
*Next two weeks:
+
**Magnetized beam (LERF PoP):
+
***check 3D FEL booster optimization results
+
***magnetization preservation through mergers
+
**Straight Merger at CBETA:
+
***finish coil field calculation for calibration check
+
***continue simulations
+
***explain discrepancies
+
**eCloud:
+
***run for quadrupoles/sextupoles/drifts, just to demonstrate eCloud density in dipoles is greatest
+
**Impedance:
+
***finish collision ion ring broadband impedance presentation
+
***meeting (Aug. 2)
+
**Meetings:
+
***CASA
+
***Cooler (x1) (next week skipped due to Ops Review)
+
***JLEIC (x1) (next week skipped due to Ops Review)
+
***Impedance
+
**Misc:
+
***LINAC18 presentation practice
+
***start writing up Linac papers
+
  
 
----
 
----
 
'''Diagnostic Development - K. Jordan'''  ('''Awaiting Update''')<br>
 
'''Diagnostic Development - K. Jordan'''  ('''Awaiting Update''')<br>
 
Kevin Jordan
 
Kevin Jordan
* Major effort is still LCLS-II conversion of the LERF for cryomodule testing; last week I witnessed the final leak testing and leak checking of the new Helium transfer line at Eden Cryogenics in Columbus Ohio. This was successful, shipped, received, and delivered to theLERF vault on 7/18/20018. There were meetings held to orchestrate the installation and field fit welding. This project is competing with resources as the CEBAF machine relies for the fall Physics run. (near) Daily updates can be followed at https://wiki.jlab.org/lerf/index.php/Daily_Activities
+
*  
* Continued supporting the program choices for the upcoming IBIC conference. There are a number of folks that did not get approval
+
* Working both the Radiabeam and Alphacore SBIRs
+
* Preparing for the Isotope kickoff
+
  
 
Joe Gubeli
 
Joe Gubeli
* Time was spent primarily on the new ARC 7 SLM proposal. I had severalchamber design iterations with the end result something that is both easy to manufacture and uses off the shelf parts like a 6"L - 4" OD hydro form bellows. I sent the model out to three vendors and received quotes from two. The first quote is for $5,995 and the second for $3,675 per chamber. I expect the third quote soon. The design for the entire project is nearly complete and I met with the CASA Diagnostics Group and Brian F. from operations to discuss the design. One small change was requested and then made. I will put together a presentation on the optical and mechanical design as well as the cost and interface requirements. Mike T. will add a few slides on the justification for why is this is needed to setup and monitor CEBAF. The final presentation will be made to the DPIT group.
+
*  
* Worked with Brian F. to move five CEBAF viewer flags into locations to better overlap with the electron beam. We moved the four viewers on the E0 stack as well as the Lambertson viewer.
+
* Met with Wes M. on the EPICS interface to the hardware for the Radiabeam CRADA on the high power - high speed wire scanner. Had some conversations with Radiabeam's lead engineer on this project.
+
* Had a few meetings on the LCLSII LERF project.
+
  
 
Michael Tiefenback
 
Michael Tiefenback
* Diagnostic optimization for SLMs in Arc7A (and elsewhere), especially regarding practically achievable resolution, is now a front-burner issue.
+
*
* Magnet integrator tasks, as before, concerning in particular magnet mis-wiring.  I _believe_ we are done with this now, but some revalidation sof measurements remains undone pending technician scheduling.
+
* Procedure development and data analysis for intercalibration of cryogenic heat load vs. JT setting is going well. The heater logic will still need estimates of Q0 for the cavities for initial configuration, but a significant improvement in CHL load stabilization appears possible.
+
* Preparation for beam and system tests in August, particularly time-of-flight related measurements in the NL: potentially huge speedup of cold-start cavity phasing and an alternate, more precise, and non-magnetic cavity gradient calibration.  Item #3 above is operationally linked to the RF manipulations involved here.
+
  
 
----
 
----
'''LERF - S. Benson''' ('''Awaiting Update''')
+
'''LERF - S. Benson'''
*July 9-20
+
* July 23-Aug. 3
**Worked on pCDR editing
+
** Prepared for and attended kickoff meeting for isotope project
**Completed Quarterly report for 2018 FOA project
+
** Went over CEC study by Stupakov to derive ERL specifications
**Held Cooler ring meetings and wrote up minutes.
+
** Attended Operations review
**Analyzed use of harmonic RF to enlarge longitudinal acceptance cooler.
+
** Wrote up cooling section of HE-JLEIC appendix
**Wrote up electron cooling section for ICFA BD newsletter
+
** Worked on editing Cooling chapter of pCDR
**Held status meeting for Electron Cooling FOA project
+
** Met with Tim Minga to survey fire safety status of the LERF
**Sent out invitation for mini-workshop for ERLs in an EIC
+
** Held Cooling ring meetings and wrote up minutes.
**Researched application of CSU equipment so that we might keep the CSU laser at the LERF
+
** Derived utility needs for cooling ring with Cooling ring group
**Review GTS magnetized gun paper
+
** Held program committee meeting for "ERLs for EIC" mini workshop.
*July 23-Aug. 3
+
* August 6-17
**Revise LOD for isotope work
+
** Visit Fermilab to plan out the FAST/IOTA transport of magnetized beam experiments.
**Attend kickoff meeting for isotope project
+
** Hold FOA project status meeting (Aug. 17)
**Analyze CEC study by Stupakov to derive ERL specifications
+
** Try to define HZDR collaboration
**Attend Operations review
+
** Prepare ICPA-18 conference presentation.
**Try to define HZDR collaboration
+
** Work on fire safety punch list items in the LERF
**Write up cooling section of HE-JLEIC appendix
+
** Continue to work on pCDR
 +
** Revise LOD for isotope work
 +
 
 
----
 
----
'''A. Hutton''' ('''Awaiting Update''')
+
'''A. Hutton'''
* July 9-20
+
* July 23-Aug 3
** Wrote up trip report from “Electrons for the LHC - LHeC/FCCeh and Perle Workshop in Orsay.”  Distributed to JLab Directorate and the ALCC (America’s Linear Collider Committee).
+
** Read all of the JLEIC PreCDR updates and sent out comments to the authors.  
** Provided beam-loss scenarios for PERLE to help them prepare for nuclear regulatory approval. 
+
** Prepared for the Isotope Kick-off meeting
** Read and made comments on the JLEIC PreCDR - this will be a weekly responsibility until October.  This was detailed comments on the Chapters assigned to me as well as an overview of all the Chapters looking for inconsistencies. 
+
** Started my invited talk on ''Transverse Deflecting Cavities'' for the ''HL-LHC Collaboration Workshop''.  Contacted people in the US, Europe and Japan to get input, incorporated slides I received from UK and ODU.   
** Received an invitation for a plenary talk on transverse cavities at the next HL-LHC Collaboration meeting; started laying out the talk and requesting input from the different labs that have been involved.   
+
** Some discussion with Kirsten on the Cornell results
** Initiated preparations for a Kick-Off Meeting for the Isotope Project.  Completed ~50% of introduction.
+

Revision as of 18:55, 5 August 2018

In Progress

Director - M. Spata
No report. Accelerator Division Office.



Accelerator Physics - T. Satogata (Interim CASA Director)
Todd Satogata

  • Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
    • ADMIN: Leadership meetings, staffing input and planning
    • ADMIN: DOE Operations Review (Jul 25-26)
    • JLEIC: pCDR writing, template, EIC lunch, impedance/HE/R&D meetings
    • JLEIC: NAS report release presentation (Jul 24)
    • JLEIC: Summer student work on Booster simulations, training
    • JLEIC: EIC User's Group Meeting (Catholic University, Jul 30-Aug 2)
    • JLEIC: Summer student poster session (Aug 3)
    • IPAC18: Finalize proceedings
  • Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
    • ADMIN: Leadership/group meetings, staffing input and planning
    • JLEIC: pCDR writing, template, EIC lunch, HE/R&D meetings
    • JLEIC: Complete Booster vacuum tech note calculations
    • JLEIC: Director's Cost Review round table (Aug 6)
    • JLEIC: P&C Meeting pCDR Update (Aug 13)
    • OPS: Re-engage with BTeam, CEBAF startup, OOC schedule input
    • ODU: Sal Sosa annual review presentation (Aug 9)
    • IPAC18: IPAC'18 delegate survey report

Alex Bogacz

  • Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
    • ADMIN: Materials for European strategy collaboration:
      • PERLE with Orsay
      • LHeC with CERN
      • Muon accelerator with INFN Frascati
    • PERLE: Refinement on PERLE lattice
    • OPS: Arc 2 Optics: further phase advance optimization
  • Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
    • MUONS: Summary on muon acceleration for European Strategy Group
    • LHEC: Refinement on the LHeC ERL lattice
    • MUONS: NuFact SPC mtg. at Virginia Tech
    • ADMIN: Tech Transfer database training

Rui Li

  • Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
    • JLEIC: Calculate resistive-wall impedance contributions to the coupled bunch instabilities. Found out that for the electron ring, their effects are negligible for the longitudinal coupled bunch instability, but they play a major role for the transverse coupled bunch instability (dominant over the RF cavity HOM effects).
  • JLEIC: Summarize the LCBI and TCBI results and presented them at the impedance meeting
  • JLEIC: Review early literatures on collective instabilities
  • Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
    • JLEIC: modify the section of preCDR to include new findings of resistive wall effect on CBI
    • JLEIC: continue to develop more understandings on collective instabilities by going over literatures
    • JLEIC: digest discussions on the impedance meeting, forming up my vision for the impedance studies

Edy Nissen

  • Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
    • JLEIC: Booster working point simulations, up to 96% survival but still with long-term beam stability issues
    • JLEIC: Update pCDR contribution based on reviewer feedback
  • Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
    • JLEIC: Continue Booster working point simulations
    • JLEIC: Assist with pCDR as necessary (referencs, tables, Booster section)

Chris Tennant

  • Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
    • LERF: LERF lattice study for isotope production (no constraints)
    • ADMIN: planning mini-ERL workshop
  • Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
    • ISOTOPES: isotope kick-off meeting
    • ISOTOPES: isotope lattice design (with constraints as they become defined)
    • JLEIC: model 476 MHz linac for cooler ERL and work on longitudinal match using arc from Project-E

Accelerator R & D - Y. Zhang (Awaiting Update)
Fanglei Lin

Vasiliy Morozov

Amy Sy

Guohui Wei

  • On Leave

Yuhong Zhang


Computational Physics - Y. Roblin (Awaiting Update)

Yves Roblin:

Dennis Turner

He Zhang

Kirsten Deitrick


Diagnostic Development - K. Jordan (Awaiting Update)
Kevin Jordan

Joe Gubeli

Michael Tiefenback


LERF - S. Benson

  • July 23-Aug. 3
    • Prepared for and attended kickoff meeting for isotope project
    • Went over CEC study by Stupakov to derive ERL specifications
    • Attended Operations review
    • Wrote up cooling section of HE-JLEIC appendix
    • Worked on editing Cooling chapter of pCDR
    • Met with Tim Minga to survey fire safety status of the LERF
    • Held Cooling ring meetings and wrote up minutes.
    • Derived utility needs for cooling ring with Cooling ring group
    • Held program committee meeting for "ERLs for EIC" mini workshop.
  • August 6-17
    • Visit Fermilab to plan out the FAST/IOTA transport of magnetized beam experiments.
    • Hold FOA project status meeting (Aug. 17)
    • Try to define HZDR collaboration
    • Prepare ICPA-18 conference presentation.
    • Work on fire safety punch list items in the LERF
    • Continue to work on pCDR
    • Revise LOD for isotope work

A. Hutton

  • July 23-Aug 3
    • Read all of the JLEIC PreCDR updates and sent out comments to the authors.
    • Prepared for the Isotope Kick-off meeting
    • Started my invited talk on Transverse Deflecting Cavities for the HL-LHC Collaboration Workshop. Contacted people in the US, Europe and Japan to get input, incorporated slides I received from UK and ODU.
    • Some discussion with Kirsten on the Cornell results