Difference between revisions of "2018-08-17"

From Administrative
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "'''Accelerator Physics - T. Satogata (Interim CASA Director)'''<br> '''Todd Satogata''' * Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3) ** ADMIN: Leadership meetings, staffing input and...")
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 
'''Accelerator Physics - T. Satogata (Interim CASA Director)'''<br>
 
'''Accelerator Physics - T. Satogata (Interim CASA Director)'''<br>
 
'''Todd Satogata'''
 
'''Todd Satogata'''
* Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
+
* Previous two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
** ADMIN: Leadership meetings, staffing input and planning
+
** ADMIN: DOE Operations Review (Jul 25-26)
+
** JLEIC: pCDR writing, template, EIC lunch, impedance/HE/R&D meetings
+
** JLEIC: NAS report release presentation (Jul 24)
+
** JLEIC: Summer student work on Booster simulations, training
+
** JLEIC: EIC User's Group Meeting (Catholic University, Jul 30-Aug 2)
+
** JLEIC: Summer student poster session (Aug 3)
+
** IPAC18: Finalize proceedings
+
* Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
+
 
** ADMIN: Leadership/group meetings, staffing input and planning
 
** ADMIN: Leadership/group meetings, staffing input and planning
 
** JLEIC: pCDR writing, template, EIC lunch, HE/R&D meetings
 
** JLEIC: pCDR writing, template, EIC lunch, HE/R&D meetings
** JLEIC: Complete Booster vacuum tech note calculations
 
 
** JLEIC: Director's Cost Review round table (Aug 6)
 
** JLEIC: Director's Cost Review round table (Aug 6)
 
** JLEIC: P&C Meeting pCDR Update (Aug 13)
 
** JLEIC: P&C Meeting pCDR Update (Aug 13)
** OPS: Re-engage with BTeam, CEBAF startup, OOC schedule input
+
** OPS: Re-engage with BTeam, CEBAF startup shifts
 
** ODU: Sal Sosa annual review presentation (Aug 9)
 
** ODU: Sal Sosa annual review presentation (Aug 9)
 +
** IPAC18: Finalize proceedings
 +
* Next two weeks (Aug 20-31)
 +
** JLEIC: Complete Booster vacuum tech note calculations
 +
** ADMIN: Leadership/group meetings, staffing input and planning
 +
** JLEIC: pCDR writing, template, EIC lunch, HE/R&D meetings
 +
** JLEIC: pCDR identification of breakout material for tech notes
 +
** JLEIC: tunnel design brainstorming meeting
 +
** OPS: CEBAF startup shifts
 
** IPAC18: IPAC'18 delegate survey report
 
** IPAC18: IPAC'18 delegate survey report
** JACOW: 2018 Team Meeting agenda and cost review
+
** JACOW: 2018 Team Meeting agenda, planning, and cost review
  
 
'''Alex Bogacz'''
 
'''Alex Bogacz'''
*Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
+
* Previous two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
** ADMIN: Materials for European strategy collaboration:
+
*** PERLE with Orsay
+
*** LHeC with CERN
+
*** Muon accelerator with INFN Frascati
+
** PERLE: Refinement on PERLE lattice
+
** OPS: Arc 2 Optics: further phase advance optimization
+
*Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
+
 
** MUONS: Summary on muon acceleration for European Strategy Group
 
** MUONS: Summary on muon acceleration for European Strategy Group
** LHEC: Refinement on the LHeC ERL lattice
+
** OPS: Arc 1 optics with 6 m disp. re-design
 
** MUONS: NuFact SPC mtg. at Virginia Tech
 
** MUONS: NuFact SPC mtg. at Virginia Tech
** ADMIN: Tech Transfer database training
+
** MUONS: Chairing a session on proton drivers at NuFact'18
 +
* Next two weeks (Aug 20-31)
 +
** LHEC: Refinement on the LHeC ERL lattice
 +
** OPS: Machine on-call support
 +
** ADMIN: Tech Transfer database training  
  
 
'''Rui Li'''
 
'''Rui Li'''
*Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
+
* Previous two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
** JLEIC: Calculate resistive-wall impedance contributions to the coupled bunch instabilities. Found out that for the electron ring, their effects are negligible for the longitudinal coupled bunch instability, but they play a major role for the transverse coupled bunch instability (dominant over the RF cavity HOM effects).
+
** JLEIC: modify the section of preCDR to include the recent findings of resistive wall effect on the coupled-bunch instabilities in the JLEIC collider rings
** JLEIC: Summarize the LCBI and TCBI results and presented them at the impedance meeting
+
** JLEIC: continue to develop more understandings on collective instabilities
** JLEIC: Review early literatures on collective instabilities
+
** JLEIC: respond to David Bruhwiler of Radiasoft about JLEIC collective-effects simulation needs, especially the fast ion instability and interplay of multiple mechanisms on the coupled-bunch instability
* Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
+
** JLEIC: travel request and registration for eeFACT2018
** JLEIC: modify the section of preCDR to include new findings of resistive wall effect on CBI
+
* Next two weeks (Aug 20-31)
** JLEIC: continue to develop more understandings on collective instabilities by going over literatures
+
** ADMIN: preparing package for Cheng-Ying Tsai’s thesis award nomination (nomination letter, citation, request for reference letters, fill online forms, etc…), deadline is 9/7
** JLEIC: digest discussions on the impedance meeting,  forming up my vision for the impedance studies
+
** JLEIC: summarize my coupled-bunch instability results and its role in RF cavity design (iteration with Frank Marhauser to improve growth rate), hoping to present in the next-week JLEIC R&D meeting
 +
** JLEIC: inherit the impedance meeting wiki page from Kirsten (since she is leaving for Cornell in October)
 +
** meanwhile continue to further my understanding on collective effects
  
 
'''Edy Nissen'''
 
'''Edy Nissen'''
* Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
+
* Last two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
** JLEIC: Booster working point simulations, up to 96% survival but still with long-term beam stability issues
+
** JLEIC: Continue Booster working point simulations; start investigating reducing transition gamma
** JLEIC: Update pCDR contribution based on reviewer feedback
+
* Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
+
** JLEIC: Continue Booster working point simulations
+
 
** JLEIC: Assist with pCDR as necessary (referencs, tables, Booster section)
 
** JLEIC: Assist with pCDR as necessary (referencs, tables, Booster section)
 +
** OPS: Shifts in MCC, learning about optics as part of startup
 +
* Next two weeks (Aug 20-31)
 +
* JLEIC: continue exploring working points, with the understanding that at the end of the month a draft is due, so I will use the best version I have to re-render the plots for my pCDR chapter.
 +
* OPS: provide assistance as needed for ops
 +
* JLEIC: provide assistance as needed for the pCDR
  
 
'''Chris Tennant'''
 
'''Chris Tennant'''
* Previous two weeks (July 23-Aug 3)
+
* Previous two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
** LERF: LERF lattice study for isotope production (no constraints)
+
** JLEIC: pCDR proofreading
** ADMIN: planning mini-ERL workshop
+
* Next two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
+
 
** ISOTOPES: isotope kick-off meeting
 
** ISOTOPES: isotope kick-off meeting
 
** ISOTOPES: isotope lattice design (with constraints as they become defined)
 
** ISOTOPES: isotope lattice design (with constraints as they become defined)
 
** JLEIC: model 476 MHz linac for cooler ERL and work on longitudinal match using arc from Project-E
 
** JLEIC: model 476 MHz linac for cooler ERL and work on longitudinal match using arc from Project-E
 +
* Next two weeks (Aug 20-31)
 +
** JLEIC: return to electron cooler work - namely can we design an ERL to accept Fay's distribution from the front end
 +
*** JLEIC: rework longitudinal match of the EUV arc to linearize bunch
 +
** ISOTOPES: summarize/document lattice design work for isotopes
  
 
----
 
----
Line 66: Line 67:
  
 
'''Fanglei Lin'''
 
'''Fanglei Lin'''
* Updating the electron collider ring design for the pre-CDR.
+
* Continued updating the electron collider ring design for the pre-CDR.
 
* Helping the student and working on the storage ring cooler project.
 
* Helping the student and working on the storage ring cooler project.
* Miscellaneous: attended innovative electron cooling project status meeting, discussion the synchrotron radiation in the electron ring with engineers.  
+
* Miscellaneous: attended the bi-weekly storing ring cooler meeting, attended a discussion of the electron ring aperture with engineers, attended the JLEIC R&D meeting, attended the discussions of JLEIC baseline design, attended the discussion of IP magnets, attended the discussion of JLEIC alignment tolerance, went to Philadelphia to apply the Italian visa for SPIN2018.
  
 
'''Vasiliy Morozov'''
 
'''Vasiliy Morozov'''
* Last two weeks
+
* Geometry tagging LDRD: development of the JLIEC IR model and simulations.
** Attending EIC User Group Meeting
+
* Writing of a contribution on the geometry tagging for the pCDR.
** Ion polarization: writing a pCDR contribution on ion polarization  control at 200 GeV, teleconference with Anatoliy's group
+
* Work on the higher-energy JLEIC option.
** Editing a pCDR chapter on crab crossing
+
** Working on beam loss studies with Hannah
+
** Geometry tagging LDRD: building GEMC model of the detector  regions and running cross section calculations
+
* Next two weeks
+
** Ion collider ring design
+
** Writing pCDR contributions
+
** Geometry tagging LDRD
+
  
 
'''Amy Sy'''
 
'''Amy Sy'''
* Working on Skew PIC closeout report.
+
* Working on Skew PIC closeout report and paper summarizing progress on Skew PIC for muon ionization cooling.
* Working with transverse feedback pickup and kicker elements in Elegant. Working with the TFBFilterSetup module to calculate the FIR filter coefficients for a transverse feedback system in   the ion collider ring. Literature study of decoherence effects due to transverse position errors at injection. Studying decoherence effects due to transverse position errors in the ion collider ring.
+
* Geometry tagging LDRD: setting up GEMC detector model and virtual detectors to analyze forward products of coherent and incoherent diffractive scattering events. Modified analysis tools used with previous GEMC version to be compatible with new output formats in recent release. Verifying that boosted-frame coordinates of particles from the event generator properly transports particles, taking into account the crossing angle between electron and ion beams.  
* Invited to participate in a DOE review of the Mu2e project at  Fermilab in October.
+
 
+
'''Guohui Wei'''
+
* On Leave
+
  
 
'''Yuhong Zhang'''
 
'''Yuhong Zhang'''
* Attended EICUG meeting and gave a talk
+
* Worked on HE-JLEIC
* Prepared EICUG talk
+
* Worked on bunched beam cooling, micro-bunch coherent electron cooling and storage-ring cooling
* Started organization of EIC Accelerator collaboration meeting
+
* Worked on pre-CDR
* Continued writing JLEIC pre-CDR sections
+
* Worked on EIC ACM 2018 organization
 +
* Other JLEIC activities
  
 
----
 
----
'''Computational Physics - Y. Roblin''' ('''Awaiting Update''')<br>
+
'''Computational Physics - Y. Roblin''' <br>
  
 
'''Yves Roblin'''
 
'''Yves Roblin'''
* OPS: preparing for upcoming run
+
* OPS: preparing for upcoming run, shifts
 
* OPS: BTEAM meeetings. Now weekly again.
 
* OPS: BTEAM meeetings. Now weekly again.
* OPS: incorporated new optics into CED
 
* OPS: meetings with physics regarding energy determination for past experiments
 
 
* JLEIC: pCDR writing, pCDR meeting
 
* JLEIC: pCDR writing, pCDR meeting
* ADMIN: acting Casa Director during Todd’s absence, Leadership meeting.
+
* JLEIC: worked with He Zhang to start implementing symplectic tracking in BB3D.
* ADMIN: budget. Adjusting charged hours for a “soft “ landing and closing  MEPCEC
+
* vacation Aug 13-17
* ADMIN: budget: preparing projections for JLECBB
+
 
+
'''Dennis Turner'''
+
* Shifting back to operations
+
  
 
'''He Zhang'''
 
'''He Zhang'''
* Last two weeks
+
* Last two weeks (Aug 6-17)
 +
** JSPEC code development
 +
*** The coding for the module of cooling with arbitrary electron beam has been finished. To use this module, the user needs to provide a text file that contains the 6D phase space coordinates for all the sample electrons. JSPEC will load the electrons in to the memory and group the electrons according to their position and the local particle density. Then JSPEC distributes all the ions into the groups and calculates the electron density w.r.t. the number of the electrons and the volume of each group. (The density calculation can be further polished if necessary.) The user can choose whether there is a correlation between the longitudinal velocity and the position. When the correlation exists, JSPEC calculates the average velocity in each box. The electron velocities will be adjusted before calculating the local temperature in each box. The ion velocities will also be adjusted before friction force calculation.  When no correlation, JSPEC assumes the average velocity in the beam frame is zero in all boxes. The UI for this module is also finished. The code runs, but needs further work to verify the model. One squestion is how the electron grouping affects the cooling rate calculation and how to select the parameters for the electron grouping.
 
** Beam-beam code development
 
** Beam-beam code development
*** The symplectic tracking code using one of the four classical generating functions has been finished and benchmarked with COSY Infinity 9.0. To use the new code, the user only needs to provide the truncated map and specify which generating function to use for symplectic tracking. The generating function will be constructed automatically. The following figures show the benchmark for the symplectic tracking of 1,000,000 turns using the first generating function. Our code agrees well with COSY Infinity. The same benchmark has been done for all the other three generating function and for tracking with a truncated map. In all the cases, the both codes agree with each other. A few places of the code are revised for better efficiency. A new parser is also added so that the truncated map generated by MAD-X can be loaded. But we have not done anything to convert the coordinates between COSY Infinity and MAD-X. A bug in the original TPSA code is found and fixed.  
+
*** Compiled the BB3D code on cluster and my laptop with linux.  
*** Now we can consider how to fit the tracking code into BeamBeam3D. The following issues needs to be addressed:
+
*** Read about how to call C++ function from Fortran.  
**** Calling C++ functions in Fortran.
+
** pCDR
**** Convert COSY Infinity and MAD-X coordinates to BeamBeam3D coordinates.
+
*** Wrote a few pages on how we can possibly enhance/optimize the cooling process for high energy bunched beam cooling for the proton beam in JLEIC collider ring, including maintaining the bunch length during cooing, using a flat beam, introducing transverse velocity gradient of the electron beam, sweeping effect, and dispersion cooling. The draft was sent to Yuhong. I asked him to decide whether we add it to the pCDR.  
**** Parallelization.
+
** Others:
*** I have read some tutorials on calling C++ in Fortran. In principle, it can be done. Need more testing to learn how it works.
+
*** Reviewed a paper.
** JSPEC code development
+
* Next two weeks (Aug 20-31)
*** Continue working on the arbitrary electron bunch module for JSPEC. A new electron beam model has been added. The interfaces between the following modules: electron beam, friction force calculation, cooling rate calculation, have to be revised. This work has not been finished.  
+
** Test/verify the arbitrary electron bunch module into JSPEC.
** Others
+
** Work on the turn-by-turn tracking module for JSPEC
*** Investigated and wrote about high energy DC cooler
+
** Read BB3D code and make a plan for symplectic tracking module
*** Submitted the abstract for ICAP’18
+
* Work plan in the following two weeks
+
** Finish fitting the arbitrary electron bunch module into JSPEC.
+
** Write about enhancing cooling efficiency for pCDR.
+
 
** Document the work on symplectic tracking.
 
** Document the work on symplectic tracking.
  
 
'''Kirsten Deitrick'''
 
'''Kirsten Deitrick'''
* Last two weeks
+
* Last two weeks (Aug 6-17)
** Magnetized beam (LERF PoP)
+
** Straight Merger at CBETA:
*** check 3D FEL booster optimization results (need to re-run)
+
*** magnetization preservation through mergers (setting up)
+
** Straight Merger at CBETA
+
*** finish coil field calculation for calibration check (final verdict: conflicting calibration data)
+
*** continue simulations
+
*** explain discrepancies (conflicting calibration data, beam wasn't set-up carefully - somewhat messy)
+
** Impedance
+
*** finish collision ion ring broadband impedance presentation
+
*** meeting (Aug. 2)
+
** Meetings
+
*** Cooler (x1) (next week skipped due to Ops Review)
+
*** Impedance
+
*** NAS report webinar
+
** Misc
+
*** LINAC18 presentation practice (x2)
+
*** Last of Geoff's REU student help
+
* Next two weeks:
+
** Magnetized beam (LERF PoP)
+
*** check 3D FEL booster optimization results (after the re-run)
+
*** magnetization preservation through mergers (finish setting up, run)
+
** Straight Merger at CBETA
+
 
*** continue simulations (using both possible calibrations)
 
*** continue simulations (using both possible calibrations)
*** data analysis (clean, fitting)
+
*** data analysis (lower cutting threshold)
*** use simulations to determine correct fitting formula
+
*** have looked for fitting formula, but while there is a distinctive look, nothing straightforward
** Impedance
+
** eCloud:
*** update webpage
+
*** run for other magnets (quads/sext) and drifts (warm/cold)
*** schedule next meeting
+
** Impedance:
** Meetings
+
*** looked into scheduling next meeting, but best option is during All-Hands meeting
*** CASA
+
** Meetings:
 
*** Cooler (x2)
 
*** Cooler (x2)
*** JLEIC (x2)
+
*** JLEIC (x1)
** Misc
+
** Misc:
 
*** Linac18 presentation practice
 
*** Linac18 presentation practice
 
*** start writing Linac18 papers
 
*** start writing Linac18 papers
 
*** Travel arrangements, visa for Linac18
 
*** Travel arrangements, visa for Linac18
 +
*** vacation (08/16-08/17)
 +
* Next two weeks: (Aug 20-31)
 +
** Magnetized beam (LERF PoP):
 +
*** check 3D FEL booster optimization results (after the re-run)
 +
*** magnetization preservation through mergers (finish setting up, run)
 +
** Straight Merger at CBETA:
 +
*** semianalytical calculation of beam size as a function of offset from crest?
 +
** eCloud:
 +
*** finish results
 +
** Impedance:
 +
*** show Rui how to schedule meetings and maintain website
 +
** Meetings:
 +
*** Cooler (x1)
 +
*** JLEIC (x1)
 +
** Misc:
 +
*** Linac18 presentation practice
 +
*** continue/finish writing Linac18 papers
 +
*** vacation (08/22-08/24)
  
 
----
 
----
Line 174: Line 154:
  
 
'''Kevin Jordan'''
 
'''Kevin Jordan'''
* LCLS-II was again the major effort
+
* Working on Isotope project planning. I had conference call with Eva Birnbaum , director of LANL isotope program, and Cathy Cutler, Director of BNL isotope program, to discuss Gallium targets. Also tracked down magnets for isotope beam line
** Transfer line was installed, welded, and leak checked
+
* Met with Matt from AlphaCore on the SBIR rad hard camera project
** FEL 01/02 (1/4 + full C50 modules) were cooled down - this was major effort by a number of groups because despite my requests no one looked at the hardware until the last days and found the CAMAC serial highway dead among other problems. This was crucial to a tasks including the cool down of the first two LCLS-II modules in October as well as Gigi & Gary Chen’s Q0 studies.
+
* Continued to make progress on the LERF testing of LCLS-II cryomodules. Folks from SLAC were here for a week commissioning the cryogenic-control racks. Updates can be seen at: wiki.jlab.org/lerf
** The cable termination for CM # 2 is progressing well, wrapping up orphan cables - a few more to pull in...
+
* Had planning meeting for next experiments at IMP
* Presented a talk on isotope target concepts at the Isotope Kickoff meeting
+
* Updated Faraday Cup award website ahead of upcoming IBIC conference
* Joined Joe in weekly Radiabeam meeting on wire scanner controls
+
* Attended review for Arc 7 SLM design
+
  
 
'''Joe Gubeli'''
 
'''Joe Gubeli'''
* The majority of time was spent on finishing the proposal for four new diagnostics in CEBAF ARC 7. Presented the proposal to a number of people and had a very good feedback.
+
* worked on diagnostics paper for the IBIC conference
* Had a telcon with Radiabeam on the high power high speed wire scanner.
+
* worked on isotope beam line layout
* Had several meetings on the LCLS-II in LERF test. Pushing through a trolley beam hoist to move the bellows on the cryocan end. Ceiling obstructions were removed from beam installation.
+
* Had the kickoff meet for the Isotope project.
+
  
 
'''Michael Tiefenback'''
 
'''Michael Tiefenback'''
* Diagnostic optimization for SLMs in Arc7A, practically achievable resolution, layout details concerning slits and diffractive consequences. Writing up a coherent justification for this diagnostic hardware.
+
* Quantitative modeling of use pattern of SLMs in Arc7A.
* Preparation for beam and system tests in August, particularly time-of-flight related measurements in the NL: potentially huge speedup of cold-start cavity phasing and an alternate, more precise, non-magnetic cavity gradient calibration. Item #5 below is operationally linked to the RF manipulations involved here.
+
* Preparation for beam and system tests during start-up (time-of-flight related measurements, etc), which unfortunately were pushed off the table by hardware problems. Later, perhaps.
* Updating the M56 tuning section of ops procedures to replace instructions using obsolete and no-longer-available hardware with steps using updated and available signals.
+
* Refining the M56 tuning section of ops procedures to replace instructions using obsolete and no-longer-available hardware with steps using updated and available signals. Screen modifications seemed advisable to relocate "comment sections" and advisory info in procedure(s) into "help" text for the instrumentation screens for M56 and for path length applications.
* Residual nightmares concerning magnet mis-wiring, although I expect to be done with this now. Some small issues arose with 1L07/1L08 girder mods.
+
* Review with DC Power of magnet resistance and reactance measurements.  Although expected to have been laid to rest, a new prospect has recently (8/18) arisen with 6S horizontal steering. (An explanation might be something being accidentally displaced during 2S03 quadrupole re-location during the summer "down.")
* A bit more coordination and data planning concerning intercalibration of cryogenic heat load vs. JT setting as we move back to 2K operation.
+
* Coordination and data planning for intercalibration of cryogenic heat load vs. JT setting remains important, but measurements will be opportunistic with some supplement from archiver-captured events during normal ops.
  
 
----
 
----
  
 
'''LERF - S. Benson'''
 
'''LERF - S. Benson'''
* July 23-Aug. 3
+
* Last two weeks (August 6-17)
** ISOTOPES: Prepared for and attended kickoff meeting for isotope project
+
** Visited Fermilab and came up with a plan for FAST/IOTA transport of magnetized beam experiments.
** JLEIC: Went over CEC study by Stupakov to derive ERL specifications
+
** Worked with Yuhong Zhang and Haipeng Wang to come up with a solution for the IMP experiment problems.
** ADMIN: Attended Operations review
+
** Prepared ICPA-18 conference presentation.
** JLEIC: Wrote up cooling section of HE-JLEIC appendix
+
** Completed most of the fire safety punch list items in the LERF
** JLEIC: Worked on editing Cooling chapter of pCDR
+
** Continued to work on pCDR. This was the main topic in the Cooler ring meetings.
** OPS: Met with Tim Minga to survey fire safety status of the LERF
+
** Recertified the HIPPO laser for the LMES in the LERF and handed in laser safety checklist to Bert Manzlak.
** JLEIC: Held Cooling ring meetings and wrote up minutes.
+
** Reallocated labor for increased FOA effort due to funds shortage in R&D funds.
** JLEIC: Derived utility needs for cooling ring with Cooling ring group
+
* Next two weeks (August 20-31)
** ADMIN: Held program committee meeting for "ERLs for EIC" mini workshop.
+
** Attend the ICPA-18 conference in Lake Buena Vista FL and present talk.
* August 6-17
+
** Attend Hugh Montgomery symposium
** JLEIC: Visit Fermilab to plan out the FAST/IOTA transport of magnetized beam experiments.
+
** Continue to work on the pCDR.
** JLEIC: Hold FOA project status meeting (Aug. 17)
+
** Work on new LOD for the LERF.
** ADMIN: Try to define HZDR collaboration
+
** Assist  MIT in moving DarkLight equipment out of the LERF vault.
** ADMIN: Prepare ICPA-18 conference presentation.
+
** Complete all Fire safety punch list items in the LERF vault.
** OPS: Work on fire safety punch list items in the LERF
+
** Finalize the plans for the ERLs for EIC workshop (date, venue, agenda, etc.)
** JLEIC: Continue to work on pCDR
+
** Develop plan for isotope project and assist in beam line design if necessary.
** ISOTOPES: Revise LOD for isotope work
+
  
 
----
 
----
  
 
'''A. Hutton'''
 
'''A. Hutton'''
* July 23-Aug 3
+
* Last two weeks (August 6-17)
** JLEIC: Read all of the JLEIC PreCDR updates and sent out comments to the authors.  
+
** Continued reading all of the JLEIC PreCDR updates and sent out comments to the authors.
** ISOTOPES: Prepared for the Isotope Kick-off meeting
+
** Held the Isotope Kick-off meeting with about ~30 people attending.  Developed milestones and started on Gantt chart for the project.  Working on selecting IR Demo dipoles to minimize installation work for the target line.
** Started my invited talk on ''Transverse Deflecting Cavities'' for the ''HL-LHC Collaboration Workshop''.  Contacted people in the US, Europe and Japan to get input, incorporated slides I received from UK and ODU. 
+
** Attended the Virginia Nuclear Energy Commission Authority as the Jefferson Lab representative.
** Some discussion with Kirsten on the Cornell results
+
** Attended the Retiree Seminar.
 +
* Next two weeks (August 20-31)
 +
** Continue reading and commenting on the preCDR
 +
** Make some progress on the Isotope Project organization
 +
** Work on my talk on Transverse Deflecting Cavities for CERN
 +
** Go on vacation the last week in August.

Revision as of 06:08, 21 August 2018

Accelerator Physics - T. Satogata (Interim CASA Director)
Todd Satogata

  • Previous two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
    • ADMIN: Leadership/group meetings, staffing input and planning
    • JLEIC: pCDR writing, template, EIC lunch, HE/R&D meetings
    • JLEIC: Director's Cost Review round table (Aug 6)
    • JLEIC: P&C Meeting pCDR Update (Aug 13)
    • OPS: Re-engage with BTeam, CEBAF startup shifts
    • ODU: Sal Sosa annual review presentation (Aug 9)
    • IPAC18: Finalize proceedings
  • Next two weeks (Aug 20-31)
    • JLEIC: Complete Booster vacuum tech note calculations
    • ADMIN: Leadership/group meetings, staffing input and planning
    • JLEIC: pCDR writing, template, EIC lunch, HE/R&D meetings
    • JLEIC: pCDR identification of breakout material for tech notes
    • JLEIC: tunnel design brainstorming meeting
    • OPS: CEBAF startup shifts
    • IPAC18: IPAC'18 delegate survey report
    • JACOW: 2018 Team Meeting agenda, planning, and cost review

Alex Bogacz

  • Previous two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
    • MUONS: Summary on muon acceleration for European Strategy Group
    • OPS: Arc 1 optics with 6 m disp. re-design
    • MUONS: NuFact SPC mtg. at Virginia Tech
    • MUONS: Chairing a session on proton drivers at NuFact'18
  • Next two weeks (Aug 20-31)
    • LHEC: Refinement on the LHeC ERL lattice
    • OPS: Machine on-call support
    • ADMIN: Tech Transfer database training

Rui Li

  • Previous two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
    • JLEIC: modify the section of preCDR to include the recent findings of resistive wall effect on the coupled-bunch instabilities in the JLEIC collider rings
    • JLEIC: continue to develop more understandings on collective instabilities
    • JLEIC: respond to David Bruhwiler of Radiasoft about JLEIC collective-effects simulation needs, especially the fast ion instability and interplay of multiple mechanisms on the coupled-bunch instability
    • JLEIC: travel request and registration for eeFACT2018
  • Next two weeks (Aug 20-31)
    • ADMIN: preparing package for Cheng-Ying Tsai’s thesis award nomination (nomination letter, citation, request for reference letters, fill online forms, etc…), deadline is 9/7
    • JLEIC: summarize my coupled-bunch instability results and its role in RF cavity design (iteration with Frank Marhauser to improve growth rate), hoping to present in the next-week JLEIC R&D meeting
    • JLEIC: inherit the impedance meeting wiki page from Kirsten (since she is leaving for Cornell in October)
    • meanwhile continue to further my understanding on collective effects

Edy Nissen

  • Last two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
    • JLEIC: Continue Booster working point simulations; start investigating reducing transition gamma
    • JLEIC: Assist with pCDR as necessary (referencs, tables, Booster section)
    • OPS: Shifts in MCC, learning about optics as part of startup
  • Next two weeks (Aug 20-31)
  • JLEIC: continue exploring working points, with the understanding that at the end of the month a draft is due, so I will use the best version I have to re-render the plots for my pCDR chapter.
  • OPS: provide assistance as needed for ops
  • JLEIC: provide assistance as needed for the pCDR

Chris Tennant

  • Previous two weeks (Aug 6-Aug 17)
    • JLEIC: pCDR proofreading
    • ISOTOPES: isotope kick-off meeting
    • ISOTOPES: isotope lattice design (with constraints as they become defined)
    • JLEIC: model 476 MHz linac for cooler ERL and work on longitudinal match using arc from Project-E
  • Next two weeks (Aug 20-31)
    • JLEIC: return to electron cooler work - namely can we design an ERL to accept Fay's distribution from the front end
      • JLEIC: rework longitudinal match of the EUV arc to linearize bunch
    • ISOTOPES: summarize/document lattice design work for isotopes

Accelerator R & D - Y. Zhang

Fanglei Lin

  • Continued updating the electron collider ring design for the pre-CDR.
  • Helping the student and working on the storage ring cooler project.
  • Miscellaneous: attended the bi-weekly storing ring cooler meeting, attended a discussion of the electron ring aperture with engineers, attended the JLEIC R&D meeting, attended the discussions of JLEIC baseline design, attended the discussion of IP magnets, attended the discussion of JLEIC alignment tolerance, went to Philadelphia to apply the Italian visa for SPIN2018.

Vasiliy Morozov

  • Geometry tagging LDRD: development of the JLIEC IR model and simulations.
  • Writing of a contribution on the geometry tagging for the pCDR.
  • Work on the higher-energy JLEIC option.

Amy Sy

  • Working on Skew PIC closeout report and paper summarizing progress on Skew PIC for muon ionization cooling.
  • Geometry tagging LDRD: setting up GEMC detector model and virtual detectors to analyze forward products of coherent and incoherent diffractive scattering events. Modified analysis tools used with previous GEMC version to be compatible with new output formats in recent release. Verifying that boosted-frame coordinates of particles from the event generator properly transports particles, taking into account the crossing angle between electron and ion beams.

Yuhong Zhang

  • Worked on HE-JLEIC
  • Worked on bunched beam cooling, micro-bunch coherent electron cooling and storage-ring cooling
  • Worked on pre-CDR
  • Worked on EIC ACM 2018 organization
  • Other JLEIC activities

Computational Physics - Y. Roblin

Yves Roblin

  • OPS: preparing for upcoming run, shifts
  • OPS: BTEAM meeetings. Now weekly again.
  • JLEIC: pCDR writing, pCDR meeting
  • JLEIC: worked with He Zhang to start implementing symplectic tracking in BB3D.
  • vacation Aug 13-17

He Zhang

  • Last two weeks (Aug 6-17)
    • JSPEC code development
      • The coding for the module of cooling with arbitrary electron beam has been finished. To use this module, the user needs to provide a text file that contains the 6D phase space coordinates for all the sample electrons. JSPEC will load the electrons in to the memory and group the electrons according to their position and the local particle density. Then JSPEC distributes all the ions into the groups and calculates the electron density w.r.t. the number of the electrons and the volume of each group. (The density calculation can be further polished if necessary.) The user can choose whether there is a correlation between the longitudinal velocity and the position. When the correlation exists, JSPEC calculates the average velocity in each box. The electron velocities will be adjusted before calculating the local temperature in each box. The ion velocities will also be adjusted before friction force calculation. When no correlation, JSPEC assumes the average velocity in the beam frame is zero in all boxes. The UI for this module is also finished. The code runs, but needs further work to verify the model. One squestion is how the electron grouping affects the cooling rate calculation and how to select the parameters for the electron grouping.
    • Beam-beam code development
      • Compiled the BB3D code on cluster and my laptop with linux.
      • Read about how to call C++ function from Fortran.
    • pCDR
      • Wrote a few pages on how we can possibly enhance/optimize the cooling process for high energy bunched beam cooling for the proton beam in JLEIC collider ring, including maintaining the bunch length during cooing, using a flat beam, introducing transverse velocity gradient of the electron beam, sweeping effect, and dispersion cooling. The draft was sent to Yuhong. I asked him to decide whether we add it to the pCDR.
    • Others:
      • Reviewed a paper.
  • Next two weeks (Aug 20-31)
    • Test/verify the arbitrary electron bunch module into JSPEC.
    • Work on the turn-by-turn tracking module for JSPEC
    • Read BB3D code and make a plan for symplectic tracking module
    • Document the work on symplectic tracking.

Kirsten Deitrick

  • Last two weeks (Aug 6-17)
    • Straight Merger at CBETA:
      • continue simulations (using both possible calibrations)
      • data analysis (lower cutting threshold)
      • have looked for fitting formula, but while there is a distinctive look, nothing straightforward
    • eCloud:
      • run for other magnets (quads/sext) and drifts (warm/cold)
    • Impedance:
      • looked into scheduling next meeting, but best option is during All-Hands meeting
    • Meetings:
      • Cooler (x2)
      • JLEIC (x1)
    • Misc:
      • Linac18 presentation practice
      • start writing Linac18 papers
      • Travel arrangements, visa for Linac18
      • vacation (08/16-08/17)
  • Next two weeks: (Aug 20-31)
    • Magnetized beam (LERF PoP):
      • check 3D FEL booster optimization results (after the re-run)
      • magnetization preservation through mergers (finish setting up, run)
    • Straight Merger at CBETA:
      • semianalytical calculation of beam size as a function of offset from crest?
    • eCloud:
      • finish results
    • Impedance:
      • show Rui how to schedule meetings and maintain website
    • Meetings:
      • Cooler (x1)
      • JLEIC (x1)
    • Misc:
      • Linac18 presentation practice
      • continue/finish writing Linac18 papers
      • vacation (08/22-08/24)

Diagnostic Development - K. Jordan

Kevin Jordan

  • Working on Isotope project planning. I had conference call with Eva Birnbaum , director of LANL isotope program, and Cathy Cutler, Director of BNL isotope program, to discuss Gallium targets. Also tracked down magnets for isotope beam line
  • Met with Matt from AlphaCore on the SBIR rad hard camera project
  • Continued to make progress on the LERF testing of LCLS-II cryomodules. Folks from SLAC were here for a week commissioning the cryogenic-control racks. Updates can be seen at: wiki.jlab.org/lerf
  • Had planning meeting for next experiments at IMP
  • Updated Faraday Cup award website ahead of upcoming IBIC conference

Joe Gubeli

  • worked on diagnostics paper for the IBIC conference
  • worked on isotope beam line layout

Michael Tiefenback

  • Quantitative modeling of use pattern of SLMs in Arc7A.
  • Preparation for beam and system tests during start-up (time-of-flight related measurements, etc), which unfortunately were pushed off the table by hardware problems. Later, perhaps.
  • Refining the M56 tuning section of ops procedures to replace instructions using obsolete and no-longer-available hardware with steps using updated and available signals. Screen modifications seemed advisable to relocate "comment sections" and advisory info in procedure(s) into "help" text for the instrumentation screens for M56 and for path length applications.
  • Review with DC Power of magnet resistance and reactance measurements. Although expected to have been laid to rest, a new prospect has recently (8/18) arisen with 6S horizontal steering. (An explanation might be something being accidentally displaced during 2S03 quadrupole re-location during the summer "down.")
  • Coordination and data planning for intercalibration of cryogenic heat load vs. JT setting remains important, but measurements will be opportunistic with some supplement from archiver-captured events during normal ops.

LERF - S. Benson

  • Last two weeks (August 6-17)
    • Visited Fermilab and came up with a plan for FAST/IOTA transport of magnetized beam experiments.
    • Worked with Yuhong Zhang and Haipeng Wang to come up with a solution for the IMP experiment problems.
    • Prepared ICPA-18 conference presentation.
    • Completed most of the fire safety punch list items in the LERF
    • Continued to work on pCDR. This was the main topic in the Cooler ring meetings.
    • Recertified the HIPPO laser for the LMES in the LERF and handed in laser safety checklist to Bert Manzlak.
    • Reallocated labor for increased FOA effort due to funds shortage in R&D funds.
  • Next two weeks (August 20-31)
    • Attend the ICPA-18 conference in Lake Buena Vista FL and present talk.
    • Attend Hugh Montgomery symposium
    • Continue to work on the pCDR.
    • Work on new LOD for the LERF.
    • Assist MIT in moving DarkLight equipment out of the LERF vault.
    • Complete all Fire safety punch list items in the LERF vault.
    • Finalize the plans for the ERLs for EIC workshop (date, venue, agenda, etc.)
    • Develop plan for isotope project and assist in beam line design if necessary.

A. Hutton

  • Last two weeks (August 6-17)
    • Continued reading all of the JLEIC PreCDR updates and sent out comments to the authors.
    • Held the Isotope Kick-off meeting with about ~30 people attending. Developed milestones and started on Gantt chart for the project. Working on selecting IR Demo dipoles to minimize installation work for the target line.
    • Attended the Virginia Nuclear Energy Commission Authority as the Jefferson Lab representative.
    • Attended the Retiree Seminar.
  • Next two weeks (August 20-31)
    • Continue reading and commenting on the preCDR
    • Make some progress on the Isotope Project organization
    • Work on my talk on Transverse Deflecting Cavities for CERN
    • Go on vacation the last week in August.