Difference between revisions of "2019-06-01-LeadershipReports"

From Administrative
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 1: Line 1:
May 15, 2019 Report - May 27 - June 21
+
June 20, 2019 Report - June 10 - July 5
 
'''Director - Todd Satogata''' <br>
 
'''Director - Todd Satogata''' <br>
  
 
Todd Satogata
 
Todd Satogata
  
   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
+
   Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
 
       - HOLIDAY: May 27 (Memorial Day)
 
       - HOLIDAY: May 27 (Memorial Day)
 
       - VACATION: May 28-31  
 
       - VACATION: May 28-31  
Line 20: Line 20:
 
       - JLEIC: pCDR-100 restart, R&D planning, meetings
 
       - JLEIC: pCDR-100 restart, R&D planning, meetings
 
       - PERS SICK: Jun 13-14 (Arm surgery)  
 
       - PERS SICK: Jun 13-14 (Arm surgery)  
 +
  
 
Alex Bogacz
 
Alex Bogacz
 
    
 
    
 
+
   Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
+
      - IPAC’19
+
      - Vacation
+
      - PRAB paper - review
+
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
+
 
       - Machine support , OOC
 
       - Machine support , OOC
 
       - Summer student lecture on 'Introduction to Accelerators'
 
       - Summer student lecture on 'Introduction to Accelerators'
 
       - Finalizing Technical Reviewer list for the new Internal Publication system
 
       - Finalizing Technical Reviewer list for the new Internal Publication system
 
       - Review of IOP submissions for the IPAC'19 Light Peer Review
 
       - Review of IOP submissions for the IPAC'19 Light Peer Review
 +
  Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
 +
      - Machine support , OOC
 +
      - 'Dogbone' ERL lattice design - ERL'19 invited talk
 +
      - Implementation of  the new Internal Publication system
 +
      - Revisions to Operations Training, MOODLE
 +
      - PRAB paper review
  
 
 
  
 
Rui Li
 
Rui Li
 
    
 
    
   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
+
   Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
      - Impedance studies
+
          - Arranging next JLEIC impedance meeting
+
          - Participate the ALS-U impedance meeting and discuss details about microwave instabilities
+
          - Get ALS-U BPM model as a proof of principle model for JLAB people to start practicing broadband
+
            impedance calculations
+
      - Bunch spectrum for JLEIC bunch pattern and its impact on coupled bunch instabilities
+
          - Develop analytical model of bunch current spectrum for uneven bunch fill
+
          - Compare the results with numerical results from Frank Marhauser and Gunn Tae Park
+
      - CSR effect studies
+
          - Multiple discussions with Georg Haffstaetter and William Lou of CBETA on impact of numerical noise
+
            for CSR induced microbunching instability in CBETA Elegant modeling
+
          - Suggested William Lou to directly communicate with Cheng-Ying Tsai about his thesis work
+
      - Write recommendation letter for Cheng-Ying Tsai
+
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
+
 
       - Impedance studies
 
       - Impedance studies
           - Continue with discussions in JLEIC and ALS impedance meetings
+
           - Held JLEIC impedance meetings, with interesting discussion on uneven-bunch spectrum
           - Going over impedance theories
+
           - Participated in ALS-U impedance meeting, with interesting discussions on microwave instability
      - Uneven bunch spectrum
+
          - Participate in the multilab monthly meeting on collective effects and group discussions
          - Write up technote for my analysis, and prepare slides for JLEIC impedance meeting on 6/17  
+
            I was invited to participate this meeting by its host Marco Ventuini of LBL. It is  mostly attended
           - See its application in coupled-bunch instability growth rate analysis
+
            by the light source people from ALS-U, APS, NSLSII and SLAC. This week's topic is the measurement of
 +
            microwave instability at NSLSII and its comparison with simulation. It turns out the IBS effect unexpectedly
 +
            showing up in the microwave instability measurement.
 +
    - Analysis of spectrum for uneven bunch distribution
 +
          - Finished my analysis and presented results at the JLEIC impedance meeting on 6/17  
 +
           - It explained the modeling results from Frank Marhauser and Gunn Tae Park as presented in the last meeting
 +
    - Beam dynamics in JLEIC collective effects
 +
          - I had an extended phone conversation with Bob Warnock of SLAC (he is around 90 year old and is still very
 +
            active in beam dynamics studies), discussing various beam dynamics issues in JLEIC and about our common interest
 +
          - He will send me his code on microwave instability, and currently he is developing a new code for coupled-bunch  
 +
            instabilities, and he may run the JLEIC case after the code is done
 +
    - Interaction with Vladimir Litvinenko of BNL about CeC
 +
          - I'm invited by Vladimir to participate their weekly CeC meetings and upcoming experiment on the plasma-cascade
 +
            amplifier at CeC. I will start participate their weekly meeting
 +
          - I got their references about recent activities in CeC, and will try to catch up on their studies.
 +
  Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
 +
      - Write up technote on bunch spectra for uneven bunch fill, and compare results with that from Frank Marhauser
 +
      - Study the effect of uneven bunch fill on the growth rate of coupled bunch instabilities
 +
      - Continue to participate in the ALS-U impedance studies and discuss related beam physics
 +
      - Start to participate in the CeC beam studies, pay special attention to microbunching development in their beam
 +
      - Organize the next JLEIC impedance meeting
 +
 
  
 
 
   
 
   
  
 
Edy Nissen
 
Edy Nissen
 
    
 
    
    Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
+
    Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
       - Vacation
+
       - I was Program deputy from June 12 through June 19, with some preparation beforehand.
       - Working on JLEIC related things for the pCDR.
+
       - I am finishing up the formatting of my light peer review paper and will return to pCDR  
    Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
+
        preparation when that is done.
       - Continue pCDR work, and do a shortened, one week sting as program deputy.
+
    Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
 +
       - I will continue working on pCDR preparations
 +
      - I will be taking July 5 off.
 +
 
 
   
 
   
  
 
Chris Tennant
 
Chris Tennant
 
    
 
    
     Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
+
     Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
       - Vacation
+
       - Work on implementing pipeline for (near) real-time RF fault classification (goal is to implement and take data during current run)
      - Finish and submit LDRD + Skype with PSI about similar work they are involved with, potential
+
       - Served on job panel for SSI hire in IT (4 candidate interviews)
        collaboration partner
+
       - Helped Bhawin with longitudinal manipulations in elegant
       - NIM-A article review
+
       - General editing for others (paper for SRF workshop, proposal for JSA Initiative, software requirements document for SRF fault classification)
       - Lattice design of BNL CeC (until I was made aware of the ridiculous geometric constraints on the machine)
+
       - Work to understand BNL CeC requirements
       - Hosted ODU grad student Lasitha V. (working on SRF fault classification and spoke at ML lunch series)
+
     Next two weeks (June 24 - July 8)
       - Working on pipeline with A. Carpenter to test SRF fault classification for upcoming run
+
       - Vacation (June 24-28, July 5)
     Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
+
       - Prepare slides for LDRD presentation
       - Job interview panel for Staff Scientist I in IT division
+
 
      - BNL CeC work
+
       - SRF fault classification pipeline
+
  
  
Line 96: Line 103:
 
Yuhong Zhang
 
Yuhong Zhang
  
     Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
+
     Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
 
       -  
 
       -  
     Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
+
     Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
 
       -
 
       -
  
  
 
Fanglei Lin
 
Fanglei Lin
 
+
     Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
+
 
       - Working on the transparent spin project
 
       - Working on the transparent spin project
 
       - Working on the storage ring cooler project
 
       - Working on the storage ring cooler project
       - Provided parameters for SR background study in JLEIC
+
       - Updating the pCDR-100
 
       - Preparing tutorial material for ZGOUBI workshorp
 
       - Preparing tutorial material for ZGOUBI workshorp
       - Miscellaneous: attended the Innovative HE Cooling Project Status meeting, attended the Storage
+
       - Miscellaneous: attended the Innovative HE Cooling Project Status meeting, attended  
         Ring Cooler meeting, attended JLEIC R&D meeting, attended ZGOUBI workshop committee meetings,  
+
         the Storage Ring Cooler meeting, attended JLEIC R&D meeting, attended ZGOUBI workshop  
        attended IR magnet design meeting
+
        committee meetings, attended IR magnet design meeting
     Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
+
     Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
 
       - Update the pCDR-100
 
       - Update the pCDR-100
 
       - Work on the transparent spin project
 
       - Work on the transparent spin project
 
       - Work on the storage ring cooler project
 
       - Work on the storage ring cooler project
 
       - Prepare tutorial material for ZGOUBI workshop
 
       - Prepare tutorial material for ZGOUBI workshop
 +
  
  
Line 138: Line 145:
  
 
   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
 
   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
       - Conversion of ion linac lattice from TRACK to PyORBIT. The superconducting section of the proton
+
       - Implemented newer linac accelerator node modules in PyORBIT for the superconducting section of  
         linac (5 MeV to 155 MeV) has been implemented using matrix RF gap models, but with older versions
+
         the proton/H- linac lattice. Still some mismatch in the optics compared to TRACK simulation, likely
         of the linac accelerator modules in the PyORBIT code.
+
         due to the use of cavity field maps in TRACK that are not currently available to be read in PyORBIT.  
       - Conversion of TRACK proton linac lattice for H- ion acceleration, and comparison to PyORBIT version.  
+
       - Implemented DTL section of the proton/H- linac lattice using newer linac accelerator node modules.  
         In TRACK, quadrupole and cavity voltage polarities were flipped. In PyORBIT, quadrupole polarities were
+
         Having issues with cavity phasing and beam stability.  
         flipped, and RF gap phases were shifted by 180 degrees. Optics generally agree between TRACK and PyORBIT  
+
      - Worked with summer student Madeline Clyburn to run TRACK simulations of the H- linac, calculate average
         simulations for both protons and H- ions, with some mismatch in the radial defocusing from RF fields contributing
+
         power of the H- linac and beam current needed to reach 1 MW average power, and start running PyORBIT simulations
        to the overall mismatch in beam size.
+
         of the H- linac.
       - Working with summer student Madeline Clyburn to get set up to work with PyORBIT.
+
       - Generated charge state distributions for lead ions passing through carbon foils at incident energies 8-15 MeV/u.  
   Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
+
   Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
       - Getting the updated versions of linac accelerator nodes in PyORBIT to work with the JLEIC ion linac lattice.
+
       - Continued work with PyORBIT including: troubleshooting the DTL linac implementation and lack of beam stability,
         These modules contain more advanced RF gap models. Have reached out to Andrei Shishlo at ORNL for some guidance.
+
         and optimization of the superconducting portion of the linac for better matching with TRACK.
      - Implementing DTL sections into the PyORBIT lattice.
+
       - Working with Madeline to extract transverse and longitudinal rms velocities along the linac for H- intrabeam stripping estimates.
      - Start designing a stripping chicane for the lead ion linac.
+
      - Estimates of angular distributions of lead ions after passing through carbon stripping foils, putting together a stripping chicane in TRACK.
       - Working with Madeline to start looking at relative velocities of H- ions along the superconducting linac to estimate
+
 
        H- intrabeam stripping losses per unit length of the beamline.
+
  
  
Line 233: Line 239:
 
Joe Gubeli
 
Joe Gubeli
  
   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
+
   Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 24)
       - Isotope Experiment: Six of the S4 blocks were installed after S&A Marked their locations on the floor.  
+
       - Isotope Experiment – Competed the mechanical assembly of the Isotope experiment shielding.  
         The remaining block will be added after everything else is installed and aligned. Received the large
+
         The top plate of both the radiator and target assembly will need some anchor holes added to clamp down the HW.
        base plate for the isotope shielding as well as some of the other plates and brackets. The rails have
+
       - High Power Wire Scanner (HPWS) – Work continues with the HPWS. One of the two linear motor forcers
        been added to the base plate and those are now aligned. The base plate is also aligned relative to the
+
         was replaced. The forcer overheated when the current ramped to its limit for a few minutes. The assembly
        beam line. The vacuum group is install the Be window now.
+
         was pumped down when it was sitting horizontal on an optical table. Once the assembly was under vacuum
       - HPWS: Modeled the HPWS assembly as well as portions of 1C05 and 1C06 to see if this location is better
+
        there was some bellows scraping. After talk to our Radiabeam partners about this issue it was decided to
        suited for the HPWS. Everything fits between these two girders and as a bonus the installation is much
+
        move the assemble to its stand which supports the assembly at 45 degrees and test it then. In this orientation
         simpler. Walked the job with Steve S. and Neil W. both approve. Reconfigured the flanges, seven total,
+
         bellows scraping could be heard when under vacuum or vented. Marcos from Radiabeam came for two days to help
         on the Radiabeam Wire Scanner it have the input on the opposite side of the chamber. Reconfigured the
+
        diagnose this issues and others. A S&A group was able to realign the assemble in very short notice. Once they
         optic and install them. Assisted with the testing of the motion. We now can readback the incremental encoder.
+
        were done the assemble translate smoothly and without noise when vented. Under vacuum the translation is still
       - SLM: Worked with I&C to verify functionality of the ARC 7 SLM.  
+
        smooth but some bellows noise can be heard. The bellows manufacture clams that this is normal and not an issue.  
      - RAD Camera: Helped to install the rad camera in CEBAF.
+
       - LDRDS – The assembly was taken to the vacuum lab to be checked for cleanliness. We have a couple of options
   Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
+
        depending on the test results.
       - Isotope: Complete assembly of the shielding mechanicals
+
   Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
       - HPWS: Continue work.
+
       - Isotope experiment
       - LDRDS: Work to prepare the LDRDS for FAST.
+
       - HPWS
 +
       - LDRDS (for FAST)
 +
  
  

Latest revision as of 10:00, 25 June 2019

June 20, 2019 Report - June 10 - July 5 Director - Todd Satogata

Todd Satogata

  Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - HOLIDAY: May 27 (Memorial Day)
     - VACATION: May 28-31 
     - IPAC19: Light peer review coordination (with Alex Bogacz)
     - JLEIC: R&D planning, pCDR-100 restart, final IPAC papers, meetings
     - ADMIN: Student meetings/planning (Madeline, Sarah)
     - ADMIN: SSIII job posting review, committee planning
     - OPS: Run planning, optics on call planning for restart
     - ADMIN: HEP Gard telecon (Jun 7)
  Next two weeks (Jun 10-Jun 21)
     - ADMIN: SBIR FOA edit meet (Jun 10)
     - ADMIN: Student meetings/planning (Madeline, Sarah)
     - ADMIN: SSIII job posting selection, start phone interviews
     - ADMIN: Review M/FURA committee prize applications
     - JLEIC: pCDR-100 restart, R&D planning, meetings
     - PERS SICK: Jun 13-14 (Arm surgery) 


Alex Bogacz

  Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Machine support , OOC
     - Summer student lecture on 'Introduction to Accelerators'
     - Finalizing Technical Reviewer list for the new Internal Publication system
     - Review of IOP submissions for the IPAC'19 Light Peer Review
  Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
     - Machine support , OOC
     - 'Dogbone' ERL lattice design - ERL'19 invited talk
     - Implementation of  the new Internal Publication system
     -	Revisions to Operations Training, MOODLE
     - PRAB paper review


Rui Li

  Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Impedance studies
         - Held JLEIC impedance meetings, with interesting discussion on uneven-bunch spectrum
         - Participated in ALS-U impedance meeting, with interesting discussions on microwave instability
         - Participate in the multilab monthly meeting on collective effects and group discussions
           I was invited to participate this meeting by its host Marco Ventuini of LBL. It is  mostly attended 
           by the light source people from ALS-U, APS, NSLSII and SLAC. This week's topic is the measurement of 
           microwave instability at NSLSII and its comparison with simulation. It turns out the IBS effect unexpectedly
           showing up in the microwave instability measurement.
    - Analysis of spectrum for uneven bunch distribution
         - Finished my analysis and presented results at the JLEIC impedance meeting on 6/17 
         - It explained the modeling results from Frank Marhauser and Gunn Tae Park as presented in the last meeting
    - Beam dynamics in JLEIC collective effects
         - I had an extended phone conversation with Bob Warnock of SLAC (he is around 90 year old and is still very 
           active in beam dynamics studies), discussing various beam dynamics issues in JLEIC and about our common interest
         - He will send me his code on microwave instability, and currently he is developing a new code for coupled-bunch 
           instabilities, and he may run the JLEIC case after the code is done
    - Interaction with Vladimir Litvinenko of BNL about CeC
         - I'm invited by Vladimir to participate their weekly CeC meetings and upcoming experiment on the plasma-cascade 
           amplifier at CeC. I will start participate their weekly meeting 
         - I got their references about recent activities in CeC, and will try to catch up on their studies.
  Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
     - Write up technote on bunch spectra for uneven bunch fill, and compare results with that from Frank Marhauser 
     - Study the effect of uneven bunch fill on the growth rate of coupled bunch instabilities
     - Continue to participate in the ALS-U impedance studies and discuss related beam physics
     - Start to participate in the CeC beam studies, pay special attention to microbunching development in their beam
     - Organize the next JLEIC impedance meeting



Edy Nissen

    Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - I was Program deputy from June 12 through June 19, with some preparation beforehand.
     - I am finishing up the formatting of my light peer review paper and will return to pCDR 
       preparation when that is done.
    Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
     - I will continue working on pCDR preparations
     - I will be taking July 5 off.


Chris Tennant

   Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Work on implementing pipeline for (near) real-time RF fault classification (goal is to implement and take data during current run)
     - Served on job panel for SSI hire in IT (4 candidate interviews)
     - Helped Bhawin with longitudinal manipulations in elegant
     - General editing for others (paper for SRF workshop, proposal for JSA Initiative, software requirements document for SRF fault classification)
     - Work to understand BNL CeC requirements
   Next two weeks (June 24 - July 8)
     - Vacation (June 24-28, July 5) 
     - Prepare slides for LDRD presentation




Accelerator R & D - Yuhong Zhang

Yuhong Zhang

   Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - 
   Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
     -


Fanglei Lin

   Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Working on the transparent spin project
     - Working on the storage ring cooler project
     - Updating the pCDR-100
     - Preparing tutorial material for ZGOUBI workshorp
     - Miscellaneous: attended the Innovative HE Cooling Project Status meeting, attended 
       the Storage Ring Cooler meeting, attended JLEIC R&D meeting, attended ZGOUBI workshop 
       committee meetings, attended IR magnet design meeting
   Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
     - Update the pCDR-100
     - Work on the transparent spin project
     - Work on the storage ring cooler project
     - Prepare tutorial material for ZGOUBI workshop




Vasiliy Morozov

   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - IR design: chromaticity compensation, detector simulations, iterating with engineers
     - Spin experiment: spin tracking RHIC
     - Storage ring cooler: analysis of the longitudinal dynamics
     - Preparing for trip to CERN
   Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Continue spin tracking for the spin experiment
     - Tracking the dynamic aperture of the ion collider ring
     - Updating pre-CDR
 


Amy Sy

 Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Implemented newer linac accelerator node modules in PyORBIT for the superconducting section of 
       the proton/H- linac lattice. Still some mismatch in the optics compared to TRACK simulation, likely 
       due to the use of cavity field maps in TRACK that are not currently available to be read in PyORBIT. 
     - Implemented DTL section of the proton/H- linac lattice using newer linac accelerator node modules. 
       Having issues with cavity phasing and beam stability. 
     - Worked with summer student Madeline Clyburn to run TRACK simulations of the H- linac, calculate average 
       power of the H- linac and beam current needed to reach 1 MW average power, and start running PyORBIT simulations 
       of the H- linac.
     - Generated charge state distributions for lead ions passing through carbon foils at incident energies 8-15 MeV/u. 
 Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
     - Continued work with PyORBIT including: troubleshooting the DTL linac implementation and lack of beam stability, 
       and optimization of the superconducting portion of the linac for better matching with TRACK.
     - Working with Madeline to extract transverse and longitudinal rms velocities along the linac for H- intrabeam stripping estimates.
     - Estimates of angular distributions of lead ions after passing through carbon stripping foils, putting together a stripping chicane in TRACK.





Computational Physics - Yves Roblin
Yves Roblin

   CEBAF
     - 
   JLEIC:   
     -    
   OTHER
     - 


He Zhang

 Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Updates and Python wrapper for tpsa lib - This week I was writing examples and tutorials for the tpsa lib 
       and its python wrapper. During this process, several bugs were found and fixed. The first bug is in the sin() 
       and cos() functions. It happens when the number of variables in the function is less than the dimension of the 
       DA environment. For example, calculate sin(fx) in 3D environment while fx is a function of only two da variables. 
       The result is correct,  but the length of the result is wrong. This is fixed by adding a check of vector length in 
       the sin() and cos() functions. The second bug happens in the bunch processing of substituting the variables in a DA 
       vector by other DA vectors. There was an error when calculating the index of a given element for multipole DA vectors. 
       This is fixed too. Some other problems are due to the data transaction between python and C++. By default, Pybind 
       transfers the variables by value. If the C++ function expects a reference,  the result by C++ cannot be transferred 
       to Python, although the C++ function works. This is solved by defining the variable to transfer as a specific opaque 
       variable so that it can be transferred by reference. One has to define the fundamental operations for the variable so
       that it can be handled on Python side. These bugs are fixed too. The manual of the python tpsa lib has been updated 
       but not finished. 
 Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Finish the ibs formula by Kubo and Oide. 
     - Write documents for the tpsa python wrapper
     - Dispersive cooling (New friction force  formulas and benchmark with theory).



River Huang

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - NAPAC2019
         - Finished and submitted the abstract of the paper “Simulation of Transparent Spin Experiment in RHIC” 
           and JLab JaCow for 2019 North American Particle Accelerator Conference. 
     - "CASA BeamBeam"
         - Optimized and accelerated the transformation parts of “Crab Kick” of “CASA BeamBeam” codes by Using “Thread” 
           of Python3 and Numba JIT method. 
     - pyFMM
         - pyFMM is in testing process. In future, if possible, we wish to develop pyFMM to deal the irregularly shaped 
           bunches in the interactions when crabbing. 
     - Particles Spin
         - Form RHIC original snake setting, we are starting to check Twiss w/o error and to track spin in one turn by using Zgoubi.
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - 



Diagnostic Development - Kevin Jordan

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Working on getting the Magnetron installed in LERF Lab 1
     - Sorting through the abstracts for IBIC 2019, also contacting the recipient for the Faraday Cup Award
     - Built a new hBN crucible for the isotope experiment
     - Installed surrogate high speed rad-hard camera in front of North Linac, there were some issues getting 
       it up & running but all is good now
     - Working to get the Hot Wire Anemometer (HWA) running in LSLC-II helium transfer line
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Get meaningful results from the HWA
     - Solve cooling water challenges with Magnetrton
     - Build test load for isotope experiment & help Joe get the movable shielding installed
     - Complete my assignments for IBIC 2019


Joe Gubeli

  Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 24)
     - Isotope Experiment – Competed the mechanical assembly of the Isotope experiment shielding. 
       The top plate of both the radiator and target assembly will need some anchor holes added to clamp down the HW.
     - High Power Wire Scanner (HPWS) – Work continues with the HPWS. One of the two linear motor forcers
       was replaced. The forcer overheated when the current ramped to its limit for a few minutes. The assembly
       was pumped down when it was sitting horizontal on an optical table. Once the assembly was under vacuum 
       there was some bellows scraping. After talk to our Radiabeam partners about this issue it was decided to 
       move the assemble to its stand which supports the assembly at 45 degrees and test it then. In this orientation 
       bellows scraping could be heard when under vacuum or vented. Marcos from Radiabeam came for two days to help
       diagnose this issues and others. A S&A group was able to realign the assemble in very short notice. Once they 
       were done the assemble translate smoothly and without noise when vented. Under vacuum the translation is still 
       smooth but some bellows noise can be heard. The bellows manufacture clams that this is normal and not an issue. 
     - LDRDS – The assembly was taken to the vacuum lab to be checked for cleanliness. We have a couple of options 
       depending on the test results.
  Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
     - Isotope experiment
     - HPWS
     - LDRDS (for FAST)


Michael Tiefenback

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Preparation for HPS run in Hall B, including Hall B model updates
     - Studying options for Hall B skew compensator for Lambertson magnet
     - Considering causes of recent magnet system damage events
     - Consultation with Hall A about PREX2 BPM anomalies
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Serving as optics on-call and generally tracking beam setup progress/performance
     - Hands-on service with Hall B setup
     - Diagnostic design for speculative MXR2T06 SLM
     - Modeling 7A SLM matching process
     - Sketching a proposal for Lambertson skew quadrupole corrector




CASA Fellows
LERF - Steve Benson

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Reviewed Early career proposal
     - Worked with Tom Oren to get LOD modification out.
     - Developed safety documents for Isotope ERR.
     - Scheduled seminar for Riad Suleiman for GTS gun results
     - Worked to set up clean assembly of LDRD viewer
     - Developed run plan for June 18-19 run to 1G
     - Gave tour of LERF to Operations Group Candidate
     - Worked with CIS group to come up with laser solution for Chameleon experiment in User Lab 1
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Attend FAST/IOTA workshop at Fermilab and consult with personnel on LDRD installation and future run plans.
     - Help out with setup run for LERF running to 1G dump.
     - Go over PreCDR and update sections that need it.
     - Summarize the ERLs for EIC workshop.


Andrew Hutton

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Attend JLEIC meetings.  
     - For the Isotope Program I held a successful brainstorming session on the target holder (the raft) design.  
       On Monday, I was asked to give a talk to HUGS on the program but I had not given a talk for a long time.  
       Spent 2 1/2 days preparing a talk (attached) and delivered it.  
     - Sarah arrived last week for the summer.  I spent time getting her settled and answering questions.  
       Her topic for the summer is to take the existing WiFEL gun, which was optimized for low-charge, ultra-low 
       emittance, short bunches) and examine whether it can be tuned to produce high-charge, long bunches.  She is 
       learning GPT for this.  
     - ALCC meeting (6/7) - apparently the ILC is not yet totally dead 
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Focus on readying the LERF for beam and launching with Sarah
     - Vacation