2019-06-01 LeadershipReports

From Administrative
Revision as of 10:05, 25 June 2019 by Tristan (Talk | contribs) (Created page with "June 20, 2019 Report - June 10 - July 5 '''Director - Todd Satogata''' <br> Todd Satogata Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21) - HOLIDAY: May 27 (Memorial Day)...")

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

June 20, 2019 Report - June 10 - July 5 Director - Todd Satogata

Todd Satogata

  Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - HOLIDAY: May 27 (Memorial Day)
     - VACATION: May 28-31 
     - IPAC19: Light peer review coordination (with Alex Bogacz)
     - JLEIC: R&D planning, pCDR-100 restart, final IPAC papers, meetings
     - ADMIN: Student meetings/planning (Madeline, Sarah)
     - ADMIN: SSIII job posting review, committee planning
     - OPS: Run planning, optics on call planning for restart
     - ADMIN: HEP Gard telecon (Jun 7)
  Next two weeks (Jun 10-Jun 21)
     - ADMIN: SBIR FOA edit meet (Jun 10)
     - ADMIN: Student meetings/planning (Madeline, Sarah)
     - ADMIN: SSIII job posting selection, start phone interviews
     - ADMIN: Review M/FURA committee prize applications
     - JLEIC: pCDR-100 restart, R&D planning, meetings
     - PERS SICK: Jun 13-14 (Arm surgery) 

Alex Bogacz

  Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Machine support , OOC
     - Summer student lecture on 'Introduction to Accelerators'
     - Finalizing Technical Reviewer list for the new Internal Publication system
     - Review of IOP submissions for the IPAC'19 Light Peer Review
  Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
     - Machine support , OOC
     - 'Dogbone' ERL lattice design - ERL'19 invited talk
     - Implementation of  the new Internal Publication system
     -	Revisions to Operations Training, MOODLE
     - PRAB paper review

Rui Li

  Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Impedance studies
         - Held JLEIC impedance meetings, with interesting discussion on uneven-bunch spectrum
         - Participated in ALS-U impedance meeting, with interesting discussions on microwave instability
         - Participate in the multilab monthly meeting on collective effects and group discussions
           I was invited to participate this meeting by its host Marco Ventuini of LBL. It is  mostly attended 
           by the light source people from ALS-U, APS, NSLSII and SLAC. This week's topic is the measurement of 
           microwave instability at NSLSII and its comparison with simulation. It turns out the IBS effect unexpectedly
           showing up in the microwave instability measurement.
    - Analysis of spectrum for uneven bunch distribution
         - Finished my analysis and presented results at the JLEIC impedance meeting on 6/17 
         - It explained the modeling results from Frank Marhauser and Gunn Tae Park as presented in the last meeting
    - Beam dynamics in JLEIC collective effects
         - I had an extended phone conversation with Bob Warnock of SLAC (he is around 90 year old and is still very 
           active in beam dynamics studies), discussing various beam dynamics issues in JLEIC and about our common interest
         - He will send me his code on microwave instability, and currently he is developing a new code for coupled-bunch 
           instabilities, and he may run the JLEIC case after the code is done
    - Interaction with Vladimir Litvinenko of BNL about CeC
         - I'm invited by Vladimir to participate their weekly CeC meetings and upcoming experiment on the plasma-cascade 
           amplifier at CeC. I will start participate their weekly meeting 
         - I got their references about recent activities in CeC, and will try to catch up on their studies.
  Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
     - Write up technote on bunch spectra for uneven bunch fill, and compare results with that from Frank Marhauser 
     - Study the effect of uneven bunch fill on the growth rate of coupled bunch instabilities
     - Continue to participate in the ALS-U impedance studies and discuss related beam physics
     - Start to participate in the CeC beam studies, pay special attention to microbunching development in their beam
     - Organize the next JLEIC impedance meeting

Edy Nissen

    Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - I was Program deputy from June 12 through June 19, with some preparation beforehand.
     - I am finishing up the formatting of my light peer review paper and will return to pCDR 
       preparation when that is done.
    Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
     - I will continue working on pCDR preparations
     - I will be taking July 5 off.

Chris Tennant

   Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Work on implementing pipeline for (near) real-time RF fault classification (goal is to implement and take data during current run)
     - Served on job panel for SSI hire in IT (4 candidate interviews)
     - Helped Bhawin with longitudinal manipulations in elegant
     - General editing for others (paper for SRF workshop, proposal for JSA Initiative, software requirements document for SRF fault classification)
     - Work to understand BNL CeC requirements
   Next two weeks (June 24 - July 8)
     - Vacation (June 24-28, July 5) 
     - Prepare slides for LDRD presentation

Accelerator R & D - Yuhong Zhang

Yuhong Zhang

   Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
   Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)

Fanglei Lin

   Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Working on the transparent spin project
     - Working on the storage ring cooler project
     - Updating the pCDR-100
     - Preparing tutorial material for ZGOUBI workshorp
     - Miscellaneous: attended the Innovative HE Cooling Project Status meeting, attended 
       the Storage Ring Cooler meeting, attended JLEIC R&D meeting, attended ZGOUBI workshop 
       committee meetings, attended IR magnet design meeting
   Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
     - Update the pCDR-100
     - Work on the transparent spin project
     - Work on the storage ring cooler project
     - Prepare tutorial material for ZGOUBI workshop

Vasiliy Morozov

   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - IR design: chromaticity compensation, detector simulations, iterating with engineers
     - Spin experiment: spin tracking RHIC
     - Storage ring cooler: analysis of the longitudinal dynamics
     - Preparing for trip to CERN
   Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Continue spin tracking for the spin experiment
     - Tracking the dynamic aperture of the ion collider ring
     - Updating pre-CDR

Amy Sy

 Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Implemented newer linac accelerator node modules in PyORBIT for the superconducting section of 
       the proton/H- linac lattice. Still some mismatch in the optics compared to TRACK simulation, likely 
       due to the use of cavity field maps in TRACK that are not currently available to be read in PyORBIT. 
     - Implemented DTL section of the proton/H- linac lattice using newer linac accelerator node modules. 
       Having issues with cavity phasing and beam stability. 
     - Worked with summer student Madeline Clyburn to run TRACK simulations of the H- linac, calculate average 
       power of the H- linac and beam current needed to reach 1 MW average power, and start running PyORBIT simulations 
       of the H- linac.
     - Generated charge state distributions for lead ions passing through carbon foils at incident energies 8-15 MeV/u. 
 Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
     - Continued work with PyORBIT including: troubleshooting the DTL linac implementation and lack of beam stability, 
       and optimization of the superconducting portion of the linac for better matching with TRACK.
     - Working with Madeline to extract transverse and longitudinal rms velocities along the linac for H- intrabeam stripping estimates.
     - Estimates of angular distributions of lead ions after passing through carbon stripping foils, putting together a stripping chicane in TRACK.

Computational Physics - Yves Roblin
Yves Roblin


He Zhang

 Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Updates and Python wrapper for tpsa lib - This week I was writing examples and tutorials for the tpsa lib 
       and its python wrapper. During this process, several bugs were found and fixed. The first bug is in the sin() 
       and cos() functions. It happens when the number of variables in the function is less than the dimension of the 
       DA environment. For example, calculate sin(fx) in 3D environment while fx is a function of only two da variables. 
       The result is correct,  but the length of the result is wrong. This is fixed by adding a check of vector length in 
       the sin() and cos() functions. The second bug happens in the bunch processing of substituting the variables in a DA 
       vector by other DA vectors. There was an error when calculating the index of a given element for multipole DA vectors. 
       This is fixed too. Some other problems are due to the data transaction between python and C++. By default, Pybind 
       transfers the variables by value. If the C++ function expects a reference,  the result by C++ cannot be transferred 
       to Python, although the C++ function works. This is solved by defining the variable to transfer as a specific opaque 
       variable so that it can be transferred by reference. One has to define the fundamental operations for the variable so
       that it can be handled on Python side. These bugs are fixed too. The manual of the python tpsa lib has been updated 
       but not finished. 
 Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Finish the ibs formula by Kubo and Oide. 
     - Write documents for the tpsa python wrapper
     - Dispersive cooling (New friction force  formulas and benchmark with theory).

River Huang

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - NAPAC2019
         - Finished and submitted the abstract of the paper “Simulation of Transparent Spin Experiment in RHIC” 
           and JLab JaCow for 2019 North American Particle Accelerator Conference. 
     - "CASA BeamBeam"
         - Optimized and accelerated the transformation parts of “Crab Kick” of “CASA BeamBeam” codes by Using “Thread” 
           of Python3 and Numba JIT method. 
     - pyFMM
         - pyFMM is in testing process. In future, if possible, we wish to develop pyFMM to deal the irregularly shaped 
           bunches in the interactions when crabbing. 
     - Particles Spin
         - Form RHIC original snake setting, we are starting to check Twiss w/o error and to track spin in one turn by using Zgoubi.
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)

Diagnostic Development - Kevin Jordan

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Working on getting the Magnetron installed in LERF Lab 1
     - Sorting through the abstracts for IBIC 2019, also contacting the recipient for the Faraday Cup Award
     - Built a new hBN crucible for the isotope experiment
     - Installed surrogate high speed rad-hard camera in front of North Linac, there were some issues getting 
       it up & running but all is good now
     - Working to get the Hot Wire Anemometer (HWA) running in LSLC-II helium transfer line
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Get meaningful results from the HWA
     - Solve cooling water challenges with Magnetrton
     - Build test load for isotope experiment & help Joe get the movable shielding installed
     - Complete my assignments for IBIC 2019

Joe Gubeli

  Previous two weeks (June 10 - June 24)
     - Isotope Experiment – Competed the mechanical assembly of the Isotope experiment shielding. 
       The top plate of both the radiator and target assembly will need some anchor holes added to clamp down the HW.
     - High Power Wire Scanner (HPWS) – Work continues with the HPWS. One of the two linear motor forcers
       was replaced. The forcer overheated when the current ramped to its limit for a few minutes. The assembly
       was pumped down when it was sitting horizontal on an optical table. Once the assembly was under vacuum 
       there was some bellows scraping. After talk to our Radiabeam partners about this issue it was decided to 
       move the assemble to its stand which supports the assembly at 45 degrees and test it then. In this orientation 
       bellows scraping could be heard when under vacuum or vented. Marcos from Radiabeam came for two days to help
       diagnose this issues and others. A S&A group was able to realign the assemble in very short notice. Once they 
       were done the assemble translate smoothly and without noise when vented. Under vacuum the translation is still 
       smooth but some bellows noise can be heard. The bellows manufacture clams that this is normal and not an issue. 
     - LDRDS – The assembly was taken to the vacuum lab to be checked for cleanliness. We have a couple of options 
       depending on the test results.
  Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
     - Isotope experiment
     - HPWS
     - LDRDS (for FAST)

Michael Tiefenback

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Preparation for HPS run in Hall B, including Hall B model updates
     - Studying options for Hall B skew compensator for Lambertson magnet
     - Considering causes of recent magnet system damage events
     - Consultation with Hall A about PREX2 BPM anomalies
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Serving as optics on-call and generally tracking beam setup progress/performance
     - Hands-on service with Hall B setup
     - Diagnostic design for speculative MXR2T06 SLM
     - Modeling 7A SLM matching process
     - Sketching a proposal for Lambertson skew quadrupole corrector

CASA Fellows
LERF - Steve Benson

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Reviewed Early career proposal
     - Worked with Tom Oren to get LOD modification out.
     - Developed safety documents for Isotope ERR.
     - Scheduled seminar for Riad Suleiman for GTS gun results
     - Worked to set up clean assembly of LDRD viewer
     - Developed run plan for June 18-19 run to 1G
     - Gave tour of LERF to Operations Group Candidate
     - Worked with CIS group to come up with laser solution for Chameleon experiment in User Lab 1
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Attend FAST/IOTA workshop at Fermilab and consult with personnel on LDRD installation and future run plans.
     - Help out with setup run for LERF running to 1G dump.
     - Go over PreCDR and update sections that need it.
     - Summarize the ERLs for EIC workshop.

Andrew Hutton

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Attend JLEIC meetings.  
     - For the Isotope Program I held a successful brainstorming session on the target holder (the raft) design.  
       On Monday, I was asked to give a talk to HUGS on the program but I had not given a talk for a long time.  
       Spent 2 1/2 days preparing a talk (attached) and delivered it.  
     - Sarah arrived last week for the summer.  I spent time getting her settled and answering questions.  
       Her topic for the summer is to take the existing WiFEL gun, which was optimized for low-charge, ultra-low 
       emittance, short bunches) and examine whether it can be tuned to produce high-charge, long bunches.  She is 
       learning GPT for this.  
     - ALCC meeting (6/7) - apparently the ILC is not yet totally dead 
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Focus on readying the LERF for beam and launching with Sarah
     - Vacation