2021-10-28-LeadershipReports

From Administrative
Revision as of 13:07, 10 November 2021 by Tristan (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

October 28, 2021 Report - Oct 11 - Nov 5 Director - Todd Satogata

Todd Satogata

  Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22) 
     - EIC Meetings (management, RF, crab, cooling, impedance, team, R&D, beam-beam)
     - EIC Meetings (critical hires, Nb3Sn 2nd IR pre-meet)
     - EIC DOE OPA review dress rehearsals (Oct 11-12), review (Oct 19-21)
     - MGMT Meetings (Leadership/Dept Heads, CASA coffee), hiring
     - MGMT AWP planning, appraisal development
     - OPS Meetings (08:00 daily, BTeam)
     - ADMIN JLab All Hands (Oct 18), AI lunch (Oct 13)
     - ADMIN PSsQCD@EIC organizing committee meeting
     - ADMIN APS DPB EOC committee meets (Oct 13/15); Ernie Malamud emails
  Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5) 
     - EIC Meetings (management, RF, crab, cooling, impedance, team, R&D, beam-beam)
     - EIC Partnership Workshop (Oct 26-29), All-Hands (Oct 25), EICUG (Oct 28)
     - MGMT Meetings (Leadership/Dept Heads, CASA coffee), hiring
     - MGMT P&C (Oct 28), Andrei/Todd Triweekly (Nov 4)
     - MGMT AWP planning, appraisal development
     - OPS Meetings (08:00 daily, BTeam), prep for AI in Accel Div workshop
     - ADMIN PSsQCD@EIC organizing committee meeting
     - ADMIN FFA-CEBAF Working Group meeting (Nov 5)
     - LEAVE Medical appointment (mid-day Nov 2)




Alex Bogacz

  Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22) 
     - 
  Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     - 





Ryan Bodenstein

  Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22) 
     - Operations meetings
     - B-Team meetings
     - FFA@CEBAF collab work
     - Positron/FFA liaison work
     - Student Guidance
     - Optics On Call
     - LDRD preparations
           - Writing job description
           - Contacting professors and universities for PhD students
     - Preparing PRAB paper for FFA collab
           - Making Overleaf and outline
     - DEI meetings
     - Accelerator Seminar meeting
  Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     - Operations meetings
     - B-Team meetings
     - FFA@CEBAF collab work
     - Positron/FFA liaison work
     - Student Guidance
     - Optics On Call
     - LDRD preparations
           - Writing job description
           - Contacting professors and universities for PhD students
           - Recruiting with HR
     - Preparing PRAB paper for FFA collab
           - Making Overleaf and outline
     - Will meet with Aurora Realin on 20th to discuss organizing/teaching a communication workshop






Rui Li

  Previous two weeks (Oct 11- Oct 22)
     - 
  Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     - 






Edy Nissen

   Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22)
     - Attended B-team, EIC beam-beam, EIC RCS, and morning OPS meetings
     - Finished and submitted a Pre-application for a DOE early career award
     - Worked on reviewer responses to DODGE paper, forwarded to co-authors
     - Worked on plans for DESIREE beam-time application
   Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     - Attend B-team, EIC beam-beam, EIC RCS, and morning OPS meetings
     - Attended EIC partnership workshop
     - Wrote DESIREE beam time application, will submit by Sunday due date
     - Will submit revised DODGE paper to NIM (waiting on coauthor paperwork) 
     - Will work on preparations for a two day DODGE beam experiment later in November
   





Chris Tennant

   Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22)
     - 
   Next two weeks (Oct 27 - Nov 5)
     - 






Accelerator R & D - Yuhong Zhang

Yuhong Zhang

  Previous two weeks (Sept 27 - Oct 8)
     - 
   Next two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22)
     -  



Bhawin Dhital

   Previous two weeks (Oct 11  - Oct 22)
     - Presented an Annual Review on \Dual Energy Storage Ring Cooler Design" in my PhD committe on October 11.
     - Prepared a paper on \Dual Energy Storage Ring and Possible Applications" for AccApp21.
     - Prepared a presentation on \Dual Energy Storage Ring and Possible Applications" for AccApp21.
   Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     - Will continue beam dynamics study in a dual energy storage ring.
     - Will revise and complete AccApp21 paper
     - Will continue writing a PRAB journal paper.




Amy Sy

   Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22)
     - 
   Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     - 










Computational Physics - Yves Roblin
Yves Roblin

   Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22)
     - 
   Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     - 






Randi Gamage

   Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22)
     - 
   Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     - 


River Huang

   Previous two weeks (Oct 11- Oct 22)
     - EIC Beam-Beam project: Collaborating with colleagues, working on evaluating emittance growth rate for different rings.
   Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     - Continue working on EIC Beam-Beam project.




Isurumali Neththikumara

   Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22)
     - Determined the allowed variable ranges in 30-variable NSGA II optimization problem with 10-pass north linac lattice.
             - Obtained some acceptable solutions.
     - Converted south linac lattice OptiM file in to Elegant input format.
     - Modify the NSGA II script to use the 10-pass south linac lattice
   Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     - Make an outline for a paper on the EA optimization work for ERL with north lianac lattice.
     - Obtain the 10-pass optics plot for 10-pass south linac lattice.






Dennis Turner

   Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22)
     - UITF
        - keV region emittance measurements
     - HLA
        - qsUtility tweaks
        - cs2sdds tweaks
        - released 'multimatch' tool with qsUtility
     - Optics On-Call
        - Matching templates for Hall A pass change
     - Aperture scan procedure edits to Tom
     - Wrote ATLis for rayTrace 8S->9R
     - Wrote ATLis for upcoming energy change
     - Created a corrector scaling script and added it to the energy change ATLis
     - MultiWire testing and debugging
     - Attended 0745, 0800, BTeam, UITF, AI FOA meetings
   Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     - Optics On-Call
     - MultiWire testing, debugging, and verification
     - UITF
        - Tabulate emittance measurment results
        - Once solenoid wiring is corrected, reload model settings for comparison and retake emittance data
     - HLA
        - Fixed bug in QTSnyder related to missing BPMs
        - Discovered a bug in harpFitter while debugging MultiWire.
        -  Worked with Marie to get it fixed.
     - AI FOA
        - Continue collecting training data from the archiver
        - Started work on the filtering tool for data collection based on type of FSD trip
     - Attended LCLS-II commissioning meeting
     - Attend 0800, BTeam, UITF, AI FOA meetings





He Zhang

   Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22)
     -      
   Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     -     





Diagnostic Development - Kevin Jordan

Kevin Jordan

  Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22)
     -      
   Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     - 



Joe Gubeli

   Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22)
     -      
   Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     - 


Michael Tiefenback

   Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22)
     -      
   Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     - 



CASA Fellows
LERF - Steve Benson

   Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22)
     - Presented OPA talk at the Dress Rehearsal and at the Review
     - Attended the OPA review
     - Continued to develop scope for WBS for the ERL
     - Worked out invitation list for ERL Satellite Workshop and had them sent out.
     - Worked on harmonic RF Tech. Note.
     - Finalized the SPC for ERL 2022
     - Helped to close out a CATs item
   Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)
     - Finish up harmonic RF tech. note.
     - Rewrite and submit the LOSP for User Lab 4
     - Prepare short talk for Diagnostic discussion at the  ERL workshop
     - Attend the EIC Partnership Workshop
     - Host the EIC ERL Satellite workshop
     - Attend COOL22





Andrew Hutton

   Previous two weeks (Oct 11 - Oct 22) 
     - Isotopes:  Loida is working on the high energy proton data, I have not spent much time on this.  I met with Adam and Loida to discuss the integration of Lila’s program with Loida’s part.  Loida now has both parts with instructions as to how to run first one, then the other, using a spreadsheet to transfer the output of one to the input of the other.  We have already identified a two-step chain reaction that is easy to explain in the paper and in Loida’s poster at AccApp’2021 (she will attend in person, the conference is paying her travel costs and ODU is paying her salary! 
     - LabEx Review: I  completed the two-day review go the LabEx program at Paris-Saclay.  I made a list of my comments after the meeting and as punishment, I was asked to write up the report from the notes that came out of the discussion.  Not only am I the only American, I am the only native English speaker so I couldn’t really say no.  I sent the first draft around for comments before the weekend.    
     - ERL sub-Panel:I sent off the sub-Panel Report to the authors for a factual accuracy check.  I have heard back from Valery Telnov who would like us to include an evaluation of his updated parameters which he prepared in response to our earlier objection.  The HOM power in the original proposal was extremely high, and if you assume the same 7% deposited at 2K as the ILC, the power bill went even further through the roof.  We will do a cursory examination of the new parameters, which will not change the conclusion.  Too expensive, too much power for cryogenics.  I received a reply from Thomas Roser who claims to have a super efficient cryomodule.  We now have to decide what to do with ever-changing parameters.           
     - ERL Panel:  I have been in two meetings with the LDG presenting the roadmap for the ERLs, which includes support for bERLinPro (new SRF gun and a cryomodule with fast reactive tuners (FRTs)) as well as support For PERLE.  We off-loaded the R&D on Nb3Sn films for operation at 4.5K to the SRF Panel (they were so disorganized, there was no plan, so we gave them milestones, a timetable, and costs).  For R&D we asked for FRT development to be included in bERLinPro funding; 100% HOM extraction to room temperature; diagnostics (I talked Pavel Evtushenko into providing a plan and a write-up); and finally twin axis cavity development.  Ewe now need to finalize the funding profiles and a “short” write-up (40 pages).  I already submitted my 5 pages on the sub-Panel.                              
   Next two weeks (Oct 25 - Nov 5)  
     - Isotopes: Loida has now got the results for fast neutrons (! MeV) and high energy protons (200 MeV) for direct radioisotope production.  She will move into cascade reactions after this.    
     - PERLE: there was a PERLE Collaboration Board meeting - atrocious.  Max Klein and I met with Achille afterwards to underline that if IJCLab didn’t get their act together, they would miss the boat completely.  Achille agreed with us, and stated that he had just appointed an experienced Project Engineer to put some structure into things.  He asked us to keep on giving constructive feedback.  BINP is now a full member of the Collaboration; I have been on the telephone with Jean-Luc Biarrotte to try and unblock the ICRADA, we are, as always, close but still not there.        
     - ERL Panel and sub-Panel: I have completed the short version of the ERL sub-Panel (5 1/2 pages) and it has been integrated into the ~40 pages ERL Roadmap.  This has already been integrated with 4 out of 5 of the other Roadmap Panels (SRF late again), and the whole thing gets discussed with the LDG on Tuesday November 2.  Then it starts the rounds of the various committees, to be made public December 21.  I have prepared my presentation to the ERL Satellite Workshop and uploaded it.  Next is to deal with the late arriving updates from Vladimir and Thomas, as well as Telnov.  We have to see how much of the evaluation we repeat with the new parameters.    
    - I received an invitation to give a talk at a retirement seminar for Valeri Lebedev; I will be working on that next week.  
    - I provided a list of suggested speakers to be invited to the IAEA sustainability conference in Vienna in May (this is different from the ICFA sustainability conference in Grenoble in March) as I am on the organizing committee.  The OC will meet in December in Vienna.  I have already told them that I cannot be there in person.  It is not sure that they are set up for remote participation.  I will put it in the travel folder anyway.