2021-6-10-LeadershipReports

From Administrative
Jump to: navigation, search

June 10, 2021 Report - May 24 - June 18 Director - Todd Satogata

Todd Satogata

  Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4) 
     - EIC Meetings (management, RF, crab, cryo, cooling, impedance, OPC, team, R&D)
     - EIC Meetings (second IR, scope split)
     - EIC Review of collective effects (Jun 4)
     - MGMT Meetings (Leadership/Dept Heads, CASA coffee, personnel)
     - ACCTVL IPAC'21 (May 24-28, session chair May 25)
     - ADMIN Open house planning, video (May 27, Jun 2)
     - ADMIN PRAB editorial board annual meeting (Jun 3)
     - OPS Meetings (08:00 daily, BTeam, 1:30 Weds SAD)
     - ODU Sunil progress report (Jun 3)
     - VACATION May 28, June 1
     - HOLIDAY May 31
  Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18) 
     - EIC Meetings (management, RF, crab, cryo, cooling, impedance, OPC, team, R&D)
     - EIC Meetings (second IR), review report writing
     - EIC Review of FPC dry run Jun 9, scope/cost review (Jun 18)
     - MGMT Meetings (Leadership/Dept Heads, CASA coffee, personnel)
     - ADMIN APS DPB Education/Outreach/Diversity committee (Jun 18)
     - OPS Meetings (08:00 daily, BTeam, 1:30 Weds SAD, PAC49 TAC Jun 7)
     - SICK Dr appt (oral surgery) AM Jun 17




Alex Bogacz

  Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4) 
     - Attending IPAC’21
     - Presenting Summer Students lecture on ‘Introduction to Accelerators ’
     - ERL Roadmap Panel - writeup on ‘the LHeC ERL’
     - Mentoring  Rishi
     - FFA@CEBAF multi-pass linac optics
  Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)
     - One-on-one with Rishi
     - ERL Roadmap Panel - writeup on the LHeC ERL
     - PRAB paper review
     - Letter of recommendation for Ben Hounsell 
     - Serving as a conveners for Muon Collider Roadmap Panel




Ryan Bodenstein

  Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4) 
     - IPAC21 Attendence
     - LDRD Proposal submitted on May 28th 
     - Summer student – help with project definition and guidance
     - Help with guidance of Isurumali
     - B-Team
     - FFA@CEBAF collaboration
  Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)
     - Operations meetings
     - B-Team meetings
     - Radworker I training test (passed)
     - Radworker I training practical (scheduled for 15th)
     - MAC training for MCC/CEBAF (for channel access)
     - Summer Student guidance
     - FFA@CEBAF collab work
     - LDRD questions and updates





Rui Li

  Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - Attend IPAC 2021
     - Finishing up my two IPAC papers
  Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18) 
     - Vacation 6/7-11
     - Attending CeC monthly review meeting 
     - Attending EIC impedance/instability meeting
     - Proceed with the tune scan for my study of the interplay between coherent beam-beam and coupled-bunch instability 




Edy Nissen

   Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - Attended IPAC 2021
           - 1 contributed talk
           - 2 posters
     - Gave SAD update at GlueX collaboration meeting
     - Was on vacation June 1-4
   Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)
     - Attending EIC beam-beam meetings
     - Attend Bteam meetings
     - Correct proceedings papers 
     - Adding new data to DODGE paper for resubmission
     - Communicating with KARVE group at Los Alamos for possible future collaboration






Chris Tennant

   Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - 
   Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)
     - 






Accelerator R & D - Yuhong Zhang

Yuhong Zhang

  Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - 
  Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)
     - 



Max Bruker

  Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - 
  Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)
     - 




Bhawin Dhital

   Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - Participated and presented a talk at IPAC'21. Two papers in this conference are presented and �nally accepted for the publication in the near future.
     - Dual energy ring lattice design with isochronous arc is completed. Some initial parameters calculations were performed. Damping times, IBS times were calculated. RF parameters are explored and started a particle tracking simulation to understand the stability.
   Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)
     - II will be taking courses at US Particle Accelerator School (USPAS). There are two courses, Spin Dynamics (June 06 - June 18) and Machine Learning and Optimization (June 21 - July 02). I will be busy with these courses. I will not be able to work with my dual energy storage ring within this time period.




Amy Sy

   Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - Attending virtual IPAC2021. Following week: catching up on IPAC talks missed during on site work.
     - Laser particle counter: On site visit by vendor on 5/26 and 5/27. A 6-channel prototype was delivered instead of the 12-channel prototype expected due to hardware delays. Initial visit to familiarize ourselves with the hardware and GUI for data-taking. The current prototype can only record data from two channels simultaneously, so an obvious action item is to enable simultaneous recording of data from all six available channels. 
     - Submitted an action item list to the vendor. Vendor will return with prototype detector either 6/3 or the following week.
   Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)
     - Evaluating candidates for the open SS1 position as part of the search committee.
     - Laser particle counter: vendor visit 6/10-6/11 with prototype detector and new software. New software for simultaneous recording of 6 channels of data was quarantined by anti-virus software - working with the vendor to try to resolve this. Vendor will return 6/14 with new software. Data analysis of 2 channel data collection using the vendor's MATLAB data parser, and also jupyter notebook to more easily handle the datasets. Discussions with the detector group on methods for testing wire and particle passage through the 6 available channels for both vacuum and ambient pressure testing setups.









Computational Physics - Yves Roblin
Yves Roblin

   Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - 
   Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)
     - 






Randi Gamage

   Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - 
   Next two weeks (June 7- June 18)
     - 


River Huang

   Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - Attended IPAC 2021 meeting and worked on EIC Beam-Beam project.
   Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)
     - Working on EIC Beam-Beam project, especially focusing on the research of the emittance growth in SPS lattice due to the different noises.





Isurumali Neththikumara

   Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - 
   Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)
     - 





Dennis Turner

   Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - CED Import
          - Continued tweaking and bugfixing elegant2ced, including exploring ways to speed it up.
          - Modified elegant2ced to work with svn baseline decks, since they handle the linacs differently from ced2elegant
          - Started on code to audit for consistency and correct optics
     - AIPINJ
          - Corrected floor coordinates for PREINJ deck to match up with svn baseline
          - Scheduled to perform emittance measurments vs wien configurations, but IHA0I02 broke
     - Ops Procedure Review
          - Sent Brian write up on how to validate match with harp measurement
          - Worked on Aperure Scan procedure
          - Provided input for the Pathlength Correction procedure and spreader matching section of ORFP
     - 'HLA
          - ced2elegant bugfixes and tweaks. Removed "fix" for negative length drifts
     - Attended AI Lunch Series, Accelerator Seminars
     - Attended 0800, AIPINJ toolbox, AIPINJ beam drivers, AI FOA, BTeam, PPB meetings
   Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)
     - CED Import
         - Continued ironing out elegant2ced
         - Explored accounting for Hall A and C elevation change in CED
     - AIPINJ
          - Worked with Alicia to finalize injector solenoid conversions (B to I to KS and back)
          - Verified changes to the Injector Quick Reference, PREINJ deck, and CED all agree
          - Met with Joe Grames and Reza to discuss MDR coil fixture rotation test plan
          - Worked with Mamun to take solenoid scan data with IYG0I02. Prepared scripts to analyze the data once the pixel to mm 
            calibration is complete.
     - HLA
          - Modified cs2sdds and eDT to account for new solenoid unit conversions.
          - Verified qsUtility works with the new conversions 
     - Attended AI Lunch Series, Accelerator Seminars
     - Attended 0800, AIPINJ toolbox, AIPINJ beam drivers, AI FOA, BTeam, PPB meetings



He Zhang

   Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)     
     - Attend IPAC’21
     - Add to TPSA lib the feature: generate a symplectic map from a given truncated map. 
     - Parallelize the element-by-element tracking and IBS calculation in JSPEC. 
     - Update the IBS rate calculation in JSPEC using F. Zimmerman’s model according to their latest paper. 
   Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18) 
     - Write a section for ICFA paper. 
     - Finish writing the tests for the TPSA lib.
     - Writing FMM paper. 





Diagnostic Development - Kevin Jordan

Kevin Jordan

  Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - Working on organizing talks for IBIC conference
          - Updated Faraday Cup website
          - Prepared the worksheet & packages for SPC members of the three Faraday Cup award candidates
     - Continued working on the Magnetron controls interface & cooling water connections
     - Worked with Joe & I&C to get new SLMs connected and tested
     - Started preparing my invited talk for Aries workshop on Materials and Engineering Technologies for Particle Accelerator Beam Diagnostic Instruments 
     - Helped Carlos on GTS gun HV troubles
     - Began “homework” for upcoming Canadian Light Source MAC meeting 
  Next two weeks (June 7- June 18)
     - Helping Carlos & source group to get the GTS operational
     - Attend Aries workshop & present talk on boron based materials for accelerator diagnostics
     - Hopefully begin Magnetron commissioning
     - Attend Canadian Light Source MAC Meeting (June 28 & 29)



Joe Gubeli

   Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - Isotopes –
     - ARDDOT -  
   Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)
     - Isotopes – 
     - ARDDOT –


Michael Tiefenback

   Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - 
   Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)
     - 



CASA Fellows
LERF - Steve Benson

   Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4)
     - Attended IPAC
     - Wrote  and presented talk on Loss control in high current ERLs for SHC group
     - Submitted LDRD proposal
     - Studied enhance energy extraction for short pulse FELs
     - Took training for Lock tag and try
     - Submitted section for ERL Roadmap document
     - Got permission to ship back equipment from Lanzhou
     - Attended ERL Roadmap symposium.
   Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)
     - Research Steady State Microbunching option for SRFEL
     - Work out transfer of funds for harmonic buncher completion
     - Investigate mirror vendors for lawyers
     - Start developing longitudinal model for CeC ERL on LiTrack
     - Rewrite and submit the LOSP for User Lab 4





Andrew Hutton

   Previous two weeks (May 24 - June 4) 
     - Isotopes: We received the FOA and immediately afterwards a letter from Stuart with reservations about whether we should apply. I have circulated a couple of draft responses and got some comments (thanks Todd) but still nothing from Andrei. Perhaps you can ask him. I don’t want to go to Stuart with something he does not agree with. Our collaborators at UVA are proceeding, and I asked them to consider their options if we are unable to continue. They would be ready to respond to the FOA, purchasing Copper67 from the Isotope program. This would be a sad outcome for us, but I encouraged them to consider that option if it comes to that.             
     - ERL Panel: This has taken up most of my time over the last couple of weeks. We now have a draft paper with ~200 pages with descriptions of past ERL facilities, the technology challenges and the future uses. We still need to develop the Roadmap; I know what I think it should be and believe I can push it through. I ended up writing several introductory sections.     
     - ERL Symposium: The Panel was instructed to seek input from the community which happened on Friday June 4 with over 100 participants. I presented an overview of the ERL facilities (I uploaded it as a Tech Note JLAB-TN-21-022). I think the response was pretty positive - but maybe I am biased! 
     - PERLE: the ICRADA is inching towards signature.  The French lawyers have approved our text and sent it on for signature.  After that, it will go to the DOE for their signature. The other participants have now signed the Collaboration Agreement and are preparing an in-person meeting on July 7 to celebrate the event. I will not be attending in person (DOE rules), nor does it seem likely that our ICRADA will have been signed by then. One positive development is the involvement of Grenoble under Maud Baylac - you see Jefferson Lab staff and ex-staff are everywhere in this project!    
     - FCC-ee Injector Review:I participated in a meeting to close out our findings. 
     - AccApp'21: I attended an organizing committee meeting but I must admit that I am behind in sending out invitations to invited speakers.  
     - Loida: My summer student started and I have spent a fair amount of time to “launch” her, so far it seems to be working out.               
   Next two weeks (June 7 - June 18)  
     - Isotopes: we will start preparing our closeout report, and decide whether it is worth our time to prepare a response to the FOA if we don’t have the support of the lab.     
     - ERL Panel: this activity will continue unabated as we start working towards the Roadmap itself and interacting with the various European scientific committees   
     - ERL sub-Panel: we held our kick-off meeting on June 9 with all the members present.  We agreed on the path forward and our first “interview” with Vladimir Litvinenko and Thomas Roser will be around June 16 (I am awaiting results of the Doodle poll), with a fool on Q&A session a week later.  In the meantime, I am collecting questions from the sub-Panel members to be transmitted to the authors.  The sup-Panel members are: Chris Adolphsen (SLAC, Reinhard Brinkmann (DESY), Oliver Brüning (CERN), Andrew Hutton (Jefferson Lab) - Chairman’ Sergei Nagaitsev (Fermilab), Max Klein (Liverpool), Peter Williams (STFC), Akira Yamamoto (KEK), Kaoru Yokoya (KEK), and Frank Zimmermann (CERN). Loida should have made some progress on her project, she is already collecting up information she will need as input.  
     - AccApp'21:I need to get active!  
     - ALCC: attended a meeting June 10 and presented the ERL sub-Panel.  The group is excited by the possibilities and scared of the Telnov proposal derailing the ILC.  Lots of discussion!