FX beamline and FY chopper solenoids
New injector beam line (FX) and chopper (FY) solenoids proposed by Jay Benesch have been designed and awarded to Everson Tesla for fabrication.
Design package can be found in XXXX.
- Wiring configuration
Just a FYI, added a 6" piece of heat shrink to the end of each conductor were it will attach to terminal block with the colors I could land, as shown. Will follow-up with coil wiring schematic. Photo of FX solenoid media:MFX-38mm-color code.png
- Conductor #1=Brown
- Conductor #2=Grey
- Conductor #3=Orange
- Conductor #4=Yellow
- Field Maps
- Analysis: media:MFX_Solenoids_FieldMap.pptx
Field Maps: B (G) vs I(mA): #1: media:NewFieldMap_SW_MFX1.txt media:NewFieldMap_CW_MFX1.txt #2: media:NewFieldMap_SW_MFX2.txt media:NewFieldMap_CW_MFX2.txt #3: Needs acceptance and files for SW and CW #4: media:NewFieldMap_SW_MFX4.txt media:NewFieldMap_CW_MFX4.txt #6: Needs acceptance and files for SW and CW #7: Needs acceptance and files for SW and CW #8: Needs acceptance and files for SW and CW
- MFX-01 (8/4/20) media:MFX solenoid mapping-38mm-1st article-7-30-2020.xlsx
From Mike Beck, Gents, The first article MFX is ready for pickup. If we have another V-block mounting fixture, would like to get that. If not could I keep the one I have and just hand off the solenoid?? Just call or drop a line when you would like to plan pickup.
- MFX-02 (8/19/20) media:MFX solenoid mapping-38mm-2nd article-8-17-2020.xlsx
From Mike Beck, Have attached the detailed mapping data file for the MFX 38mm 2nd article solenoid. It includes the centerline integrals and B v I measurements in single-would and null/bucked coil configuration measurements in 1A and the .2A intervals. Also attached is the inductance, resistance and average temperature at the upper end of possible current range. For ease of viewing you can check out the Summary page to view all the data put together. The magnet is ready for pickup. If there are any comments, feedback or questions call or send email.
- MFX-03 (1/4/22) media:MFX solenoid mapping-38mm-3rd article-1-04-2022.xlsx
Happy New Year all, Have completed the mapping for FX003 solenoid and data acquisition. The data is attached. Please review and confirm acceptance of field map. We are in the process of building back up MFX008, which had to be taken apart for Jay and Elise for internal coil viewing. The magnet should be built up and staged on 3m stepper stand tomorrow, unless the Accelerator tunnel work gets in the way. Just a FYI, MFX008 is also the last of the 38mm solenoids. After MFX008 completion we will move forward to the remaining (2) 44mm solenoids. If any questions, comments or feedback please feel free to reach out to Joe or I.
- MFX-04 (9/11/20) media:MFX solenoid mapping-38mm-4th article-9-9-2020.xlsx
Have attached the detailed mapping data file for the MFX 38mm 3rd article solenoid, which is serial #004, magnet serial #003 has not arrived to us yet. It includes the centerline integrals and B v I measurements in single-would and null/bucked coil configuration measurements in 1A and the .2A intervals. Also attached is the inductance and resistance values. For ease of viewing you can check out the Summary page to view all the data put together. I'm away a few days next week. So the solenoid will not come down from test stand and be wrapped up until the first or second week of SAD startup timeframe. The leads still need insulation wrap, color coded heat shrink and lugs.
- MFX-06 (10/13/21) media:MFX solenoid mapping-38mm-6th article-10-13-2021.xlsx
Gents, Have completed the mapping for FX006 solenoid and data acquisition. The data is attached. Please review and confirm acceptance of field map. The magnet will be on the stand for a bit as we will be using it for the Jay/Alicia experiment with BH correctors to test field interactions. If any questions, comments or feedback fire away.
- MFX-07 (11/4/21) media:MFX solenoid mapping-38mm-7th article-11-4-2021.xlsx
Gents, Have completed the mapping for FX007 solenoid and data acquisition. The data is attached. Please review and confirm acceptance of field map. The magnet will be on the stand for a few more days, am away Friday and Monday. So will break down Tuesday am and setup next FX003 article. If any questions, comments or feedback fire away.
- MFX-08 (1/12/22) media:MFX solenoid mapping-38mm-8th article-1-12-2022.xlsx
Have completed the mapping for FX008 solenoid and data acquisition. The data is attached. Please review and confirm acceptance of field map. Joe G- was working on putting all FX solenoid comparison data summary together when I realized FX005 was used for thermal study and still needs field mapping, sorry for any confusion! So, one more FX (005) to go and all the FX magnets will be complete. Then it will be on to the 46mm/FY solenoids. Any questions, feedback or comments contact Joe or I.
- FX Temperature study
- MFX-01 (7/22/20) media:MFX-38mm-Temp study-7-22-2020.xlsx
From Mike Beck, Morning, The temp study for the 38mm solenoid is attached. Setting solenoid and probe up for mapping now. If any questions, comments or feedback just call or email.
- MFX-05 (9/30/21) media:FX Thermal data study_9_30_2021.xlsx
Gents, Please review the attached the FX005 solenoid revised temp study data. Took the current up to 8A in .5A increments and remained in the ~50*C range. At 7A the temp reached ~45*C. Also, added B vs. I without field saturation. Provide feedback that all the data has been provided that you would like. If any additional questions, feedback or comments fire away. Will wait on feedback before moving forward as this magnet needs to be degaussed.
- Background of existing injector solenoids
A variety of solenoid magnets have been in use at the CEBAF injector for over 20 years. A total of 11 individual solenoids are installed, spanning 7 different types (FH,FB,FG,FQ,FA,FD,FL). In order to preserve the beam polarization four of the type two internal counter-wound coils (FQ,FA,FD,FL) while others have a single internal coil (FH,FB,FG). A summary of the 11 coils is listed below and can found on the injector songsheet media:190605_injectorsongsheet.pdf.
- MFH2I01 - beam line solenoid, single wound
- MFB1I02 - beam line solenoid, single wound
- MFG1I04A - beam line solenoid, single wound
- MFG1I04B - beam line solenoid, single wound
- MFQ0I01 - beam line solenoid, counter wound
- MFA0I03 - beam line solenoid, counter wound
- MFD0I04 - two chopper solenoids in series, each counter wound
- MFA0I05 - beam line solenoid, counter wound
- MFA0I06 - beam line solenoid, counter wound
- MFL0I07 - beam line solenoid, counter wound
- Motivation and requirements of new injector solenoids
- fewest types possible, to improve standardization and spares inventory
- greater radial field uniformity, to minimize variation of beam optics with beam position
- minimum field roll-off in the beam direction
- design accommodating operation at higher beam energy, i.e. function at higher power supply current
- larger inner diameter to accommodate 2-3/4" flanges
- bakable to >200C for extended periods for vacuum condition
- capability to be interchangeably wired for single wound or counter wound configuration
- Review of solenoid design
With these considerations in mind Jay Benesh has modeled an upgrade solenoid magnet and worked with Danny Machie to develop a mechanical design, in three variations, that have been reviewed by the injector and source groups. The purpose of your review is to inspect the proposed specifications and drawings and provide feedback or questions that should be incorporated prior to starting the vendor RFQ process. Supplemental material of a design study of different variations on the inner diameter is also provided here media:design_comp.pdf.
- Joe Meyers, Magnet Measurement Facility (will handle the RFQ and acceptance QA too)
- Michael Tiefenback, CEBAF Magnet Integrator
- Renuka Rajput-Ghoshal, Physics Engineering Magnet Group
- RFQ Package
- Specification to vendor - media:magnet_spec.pdf or media:magnet_spec.odt
- Coil drawing - media:coil8may19.pdf
- Low Momentum Solenoid (replaces FH, FB, FA, FL beam line magnets) - media:lowmomentumbeamlinesketch5.pdf
- Low Momentum Solenoid (replaces FD chopper magnets) - media:lowmomentumchoppersketch2.pdf
- High Momentum Solenoid (proposed new solenoid for MeV beam energies) - media:highmomentumbeamlinesketch4.pdf
- Possible Vendor List
- New Zealand company that did Jay's initial quote
- Everson-Tesla Inc., Doug Hartman (email@example.com)
- New England Technicoil
- Alexandria, Va company Joe met at ILC meeting