List of GTS Ghost Beam Experiments - 3/11/19
Revision as of 13:07, 10 March 2019 by Yoskowij
- Measuring Ions
- Purpose: Determining whether trapped ions are present in the accelerator after an electron beam run.
- Experiment Details:
- Run 100-500uA electron beam for a fixed amount of time with GHV=100kV, GS=150A and anode biased at 1kV...enough to produce a visible ghost beam on viewer 2.
- Turn off real electron beam
- With the GHV and GS on, turn anode bias down to zero - if ions are trapped between the anode and GS, they will move towards the cathode.
- Measure current on cathode via an ammeter. If this is not possible, then we can measure current on the anode via an ammeter.
- Null Hypothesis No current reading on cathode/anode, implying there are no trapped ions between the cathode/anode.
- Duration of Experiment 1-2 hours
- Setup/Equipment Needed Need to be able to measure current on either cathode or anode - perhaps we can connect an ammeter in series with either the cathode or anode?