October 22, 2020 - Weekly ME meeting
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Meeting Info =
We will meet Thursday @ 10am EDT via BlueJeans Meeting URL (for video and/or audio call in): https://bluejeans.com/909497334 Phone number (for audio call in): 1-888-240-2560 Meeting ID: 909497334# Passcode : 2864 (anybody can then start the meeting)
Meeting October 22
- From Neil
- They are available to help with installation jobs with ~couple days notice
- From Chris
- They are available - need ME numbers ~couple days in advance
- From Danny
- special cross for QWs on schedule for november 10th.
- reducer bellows spools are late and are now promised for october 26th and november 2.
- A1 and A2 cubes in shop for tube end machining.
- buncher in for final brazing.
- A2 assembly drawing released.
- wien filter one piece electrode order placed
- From Keith
- Delivery date for (6) one piece Wien electrodes is Nov 18
- From Mike
- For the first magnet (Vertical Wien) coil fit up to core, it went as outlined. Conducted hipot testing every step of the way, as coils were being installed. A few problems with small shorts were becoming a problem as there was light scraping of coil epoxy to get coils into core, just enough to remove a speck of epoxy here and there mostly in corner regions and cause small shorts. Decided to remove first coil and line magnet core with .003" Kapton tape to all surfaces where coil would make contact with magnet core. Re-installed coil, as these babies are extremely tight fit as we knew would be the case after QA that was completed months ago. This worked very well and got clean hipots at 500V with <.2uA leakage. Repeated same process for the other magnet half, with same success. Modified all aluminum end plates to fit and wrapped with Kapton tape and installed. After complete magnet build with chamber installed, installed insulation and lead lugs to all conductors. Attached to terminal block and conducted another final whole magnet hipot and it was successful @ 500V <.2uA leakage for completed magnet assy. We will be color coding the leads after mapping, as per my discussion with Carlos yesterday. Craned the completed first article to 5m test stand and we installed the end plates with small bore hole in middle of plate, so this first article is ready for the stand next week.
- As for the second article (Horizonal Wien) same process with coil/magnet build up now have good clean hipots on both top and bottom sections. The problem on this second article was the SS ears on vacuum chamber (interference with matting surface) and the thickness of the alum end plates. So reached out to Carlos and Vince to come out to shop so I could go over problem areas and provide what I considered a fair resolution and have a little team brainstorming. They both liked the ideas and apparently were going to get Joe/Danny to bless. Looks like that was achieved and the shop is making the needed modifications. Will pick up chamber and alum end plates when machining is completed.
- All in all, great progress as we are plotting along very nicely and we are engineering on the fly with calculated and proven methods or simply measure tres and cut once!
- From Lakshmi
Presented the PSS kicker coil design variation and three conductor options to JG and JK (10/19). Awaiting decision on hardware ( expected by the end of this week) to help finalize the new design.
Meeting October 15
- From Joe, here is the latest on the AIPINJ magnets (priorities #5, #4, #2, #3, #1)
- FX & FY solenoids (Everson Tesla): Mike QC’d the last shipment of magnets and spare coils. They passed and we have accepted all 10 solenoids and 4 coils. All ETI measurement data is within the +/-5 G-cm requirement. Will send out to Jay and Lakshmi. Invoices have been approved and paid. The tooling was also shipped and can be stored with us if needed.
- DR dipole (Milhous): The 2nd half of the first article is being wound. ETA is next week. Will look to put on measurement stand ASAP.
- HD (Technicoil): Stainless bobbins completed. Starting winding. On schedule to be finished by 10/23.
- QW (Technicoil); No updates; will follow-up with Technicoil.
- Wien Dipole (Carlos): Wien cores delivered to MMF shop. Mike will start the coil fit-up process with coils and vacuum chamber next week (10/19-10/23). Mike performs final assembly and measurements first two weeks of Nov. (11/3-11/13).
- PSS kicker
- Lakshmi completing analysis (due latest Monday) on PSS kicker using 3 types of conductor (reason for add'l work is long lead time availability of Plan A wire)
- Jerry providing input on PSS power supply
- We'll evaluate options and schedule soon, then pick a direction
Meeting October 8
- Component status
Wien quads => due 11/20 Wien quads fixture parts => incomplete Wien quad crosses => due 10/30 Wien quad tapped flanges => due 10/14 Wien filter fixtures => due 8/21 (????) Wien filter rebuild => Carlos' 8-week rebuild => both due by 11/30 for HV testing Wien viewer extension shafts => We have those
Prebuncher cavity => on track for 11/1 Prebuncher amp => due 10/29
Viewer plates and top hats => completed Chromox viewers => due 10/8 Parts to rebuild remaining viewers => from Tony?
A1/A2 fixture parts => due 10/30 A1/A2 cube mods => completed A1/A2 spools => due 9/25 (delivered?) MHD coils => due 10/23
Girders => signed 9/22, due 10/23.....now 11/18 Pedestals => due 11/10
Gamma Ion Pumps => due 11/2 Lesker flanges => due 10/16
15 deg DR magnet => due 7/10 :(
- Remaining Jobs
0 Layout & Points for Gun table + 2I pedestal => top priority 1 Viewer assembly fixture => Marcy has one, would like if a lighter color 2 Will NEG fit 25 l/sec IP on Y => Marcy will check, ask for ENG help if needed 3 Viewer garage dwg => Shaun gave to Danny 4 wien filter electrodes 1 piece => Keith getting ready to place order 5 A1/A2 assembly drawing => Shaun gave to Danny 6 MQW cross assembly/mounting parts => See Danny on Monday 7 PSS kicker magnet => Lakshmi will seutp meeting w/ Jerry/Joe is PLan A OK? 8 finish pre-buncher fab/weld => JOe to check 9 Wien filter girder assembly dwg => Gary updated.....give to Danny? 10 Aperture girder assembly dwg => Gary updated....give to Danny? 11 laser table/encl => down the road 12 Installation drawings => Shaun still working on this... 13 MHD + MQW protective clamp shells => down the road 14 DR 15 deg dipole shim => Joe!!! 15 DR 15 deg dipole (backup) => FY21 budget updated