Revision as of 22:57, 24 August 2021 by Michaelm
To-do list (Things that are broken at UITF, or could be improved upon...)
- Add sufficient concrete shielding to raise deliverable current; validate with RCG Breakpoint measurements. (In progress with FML)
- Update the Operational Restrictions page to reflect new RadCon shielding assessment.
Add Mu-metal (or other shielding) where appropriate (MeV area - Wastewater)(Unnecessary) Remove Rogowski coil #2 from beamline (HDIce de-install)(completed)
- I am uncomfortable with the amount of lead stacked on the keV dump structure (If Cameron has a bit of time available, an 80/20 table maybe?)
- Procure more UHV supplies (another set of them)
- Boards that convert electrical to fiber and vice versa
Two more electronics racks upstairs, one for polarimeter, one for PSS BCM (C channel, 6” tall, 23” long)(Completed - Installation group)
- Work table upstairs
Shop vacuums in all locations!(done) Resource loaded engineering plan(Complete/In operation - Mike McC) Resource loaded operations plan (Mike McC)(Complete) Book shelf to under AC unit; Double door cabinet to corner (Measures okay)(done)
- BPMs don’t report the same orbit in tune mode and CW & BPMs report beam when there is no beam: Too much 1497 MHz rf inside the enclosure? Can the stripline BPMs look for a harmonic of 1497 MHz? Were strip lines / DR receivers right choice vs older SEE antenna-style bpms? (Musson studying behavior; RF shielding put into place upstairs)
- BCM outputs (we have cavities, need receivers) (IC/Keith working on this now...)
- Viewers were not always installed at useful Z locations, i.e., betatron phase advance. What is a useful location? At a beam waist. “Viewers at nodes, BPMs at anti-nodes” (Need Model or Beta functions, which means model work need to happen first to validate...)
Attach fast valve to manual valve VMVM401 (Wastewater)Complete Move Faraday Cup 3 to downstream viewer cross? Not adjacent to control room, that’s the point here, where radiation levels are problematic (Wastewater)Complete; FC3 adjacent + FC4 downstream.
- M703 harp doesn’t work - Gain setting was at 1; unable to test w low QE. Tony to signal inject.
What was the point of putting BPMs on the elevated beamline? Did we think they would see 1nA beam? I guess we just thought we would thread beam in tune mode up there…. For regions that get vented frequently, there should be flange mounted NEG pumpMany added
- Cameras that can be line-synced, then we could use them to look for 60 Hz motion.
- Ready for I-to-Vs
Need specialized lead-brick shielding at insertable cups(Complete)
- Need a beam loss accounting system; MPS BCM cavity or PSS BCM but this is a much bigger project (can’t we just buy a system that Trent designed/built for SLAC, or duplicate it?)
- A3 should be closer to booster in order to protect the booster and define the launch
- Laser power is very small. OK for bulk GaAs and keV Mott, but not enough for a program with superlattice photocathodes
- Move the laser under the table inside the enclosure? Eliminate the fiber... work with SSG needed to maintain all the PSS hooks.
- Laser power drift (temp cycle of the room AC?), but the current lock can deal with this, so not actually a problem when beam arrives at a cup or dump. Maybe a problem for Wastewater Treatment
- Install an insertable halfwave plate to flip the sign of the polarization
- Photogun and keV beamline:
- The photocathode lifetime at UITF is REALLY bad, the field emission at 200 kV certainly doesn’t help (is it the sole problem?). So take apart gun polish electrode, krypton process until there’s NO measurable field emission
Align the gun so that the cathode AND the anode are at normal incidence relative to the beamline and trajectoryComplete
- Align the rest of the beamline
Fix the chopper slit (Kurt Lesker says we just need a 50:1 gear box, I’ve ordered it)STAC5 controller issue; S. Windham ordered new - A5 aperture controls on it at present.
- setup the chopper phases, use the chopper
- at the chopper chamber, VIPK301 ion pump not energized, it is just spewing CH4 into beamline, replace it
- Add load lock to depo chamber (I have cross and manipulator)
Modify depo chamber to include new chemical sourcesCompleted Attempt to better align the maskCompleted Polish the schneedle (is it aluminum? Should be steel, no silver plating required (in fact, it’s bad), polish the interior surface of all pucks)Replaced with nitronic steel one.
- Add Mott polarimeter on keV line
- A3 is in the wrong place, at least in terms of protecting the booster
- Beam appears far right at ITVK203A, beam appears far left at ITVK401, maybe the alignment of the beamline will help?
- Install vertical Wien
- BNC spigots for triggers: pockel cell and gun mode
- The optics modeling program should tell us beam size and aspect ratio at each viewer, so we have something to work towards, quickly, empirically
- Electron beam optics not presently good, there is beta mismatch across the booster
- Institutionalize use of qsutility to set quads (In progress)
- Yao cavity damaged during one of the bake outs? Check in-situ
- Buncher heater control is primitive: local heater with feedback. There is epics temperature readback, but no epics interface to the heater control.
- Wouldn’t it be easier to use a 200 W solid state amp to drive the 2-cell? Forward power today is only 40 W, the 2-cell is not meant to be driven hard.
Complete microphonics assessment, install vibration isolation pads?SRF completed - Post to wiki?
- Microphonics diagnostics should be available when running beam, so that when problems are encountered, we can see immediately if there’s a correlation with microphonic vibrations. At the moment, we can only assess microphonics from inside the cave, when the beam is OFF
Better rf quality to 2-cell?Continual evolution by LLRF
- Do the piezo tuners do anything? Why not?
I think the booster should have been a low Q design to make it more reliable. I am not expert on this topic, but high Q is important for long linacs that present a large cryo burden. The booster does not pose a large cryo burden - we should have forgone Q for reliability.Already fabricated... c'est la vie
- LLRF distribution map (frequencies etc.)
- Consolidate the locations of steering magnets? Put them where they need to be
- Need a supply of large haimson steering magnets on the shelf (five sets should arrive soon)
- Polarity of magnets not all correct, and some H/V labels are incorrect
Global Channel Access button doesn’t work, it would be nice to have(done)
- MAC Access for Training purposes, so global doesn't have to be opened. (Requested from Bevins)
We have a Hot Check Out tool, but we don’t presently use itWe do now...
- Some epics screens were hastily prepared, copied from CEBAF. Epics screens should be improved, streamlined
UED remains a mystery to me, and from what I can tell, to most everyone else too, even people in software know little about it. Who does what? Whose responsibility is it to update UED? How does one actually do that? Maybe two people know the answers.(System owners) Survey existing UED for accuracy (Ops Liaison)(Complete)
- More Robust Rapid Access system?
- Probably need a beacon or locked door to the aisle way above UITF (where we store stuff), or at least verification from RadCon that it’s ok to access this space when running beam. Or maybe it’s safe to go back there when running beam?
- Need a professional rapid access beacon/system at entry way to the enclosure
- Closed circuit cameras inside the enclosure
- SSI screens for existing installation
- We need a map of our network connections, what is the network layout now at UITF? Do all network connections go through the rack behind the laser room/control room. Are they all owned by Accelerator Division. I think we have a combination of IT and Accel network routers
- Where are all the pc104s and how do we reset them?
- Table top printer for control room
Replace central big screen monitor in control room (Property tag F1-8291)(Done; excess bad monitor?)
- Replace left monitor on ITFL03 work station... aperiodic line of dead pixels down middle of screen. Maybe a digitizer issue.
- MCC Style Wall monitors