Annual Postdoctoral Prize
We anticipate to continue awarding the JSA Annual Postdoctoral Prize for outstanding postdocs working at Jefferson Lab on a yearly basis (contingent on funding by the JSA Initiatives Funds). The Prize competition is run by the Users Group Board of Directors. The Prize is for funding of a research project of the candidate's choosing - in fact, the award is based (in part) on the originality and quality of this proposed research. The deadline for the competition is usually around the end of the year.
The Prize has been fully funded for 2012, and the deadline for the 2012 competition is set set for January 3, 2012, by 5 p.m. (first business day after December 31). If you want to be considered, please email your complete application package to Lorelei Carlson by the deadline (see instructions below).
The rules are:
- All nominees must be within 5 years of graduation, and in a postdoc or equivalent position at the time of nomination. They do not have to be experimental postdocs working at a university to apply - JLab and theory postdocs are also eligible to apply. Previous winners are not eligible to apply.
- Entries should include a research statement (5 page limit) and CV by the nominee, along with three letters of reference. The research statement should describe past work and future plans and should include a preliminary budget. All materials may be emailed in separately. Send all submissions to Lorelei Carlson (email@example.com)
- The competition will be judged by the Users Group Board of Directors.
- The basis for picking the top candidate includes a record of accomplishment in physics, a planned high-impact Jefferson Lab physics program, proposed use of the research grant (including a realistic budget), and promise of further accomplishments in the Jefferson Lab research fields in the future.
- The Prize will be in the form of a research grant to be used for future research of relevance to the Lab with no overhead charges from the administering institution.
Past Postdoctoral Prize Award Winners
2011 : Mark Dalton
2010 : Simona Malace
2009 : Patricia Solvignion
2008 : Bradley Sawatzky