Minority Undergraduate Research Assistantship
Jefferson Science Associates Minority Undergraduate Research Assistantship
Jefferson Lab is seeking candidates for a research assistantship from a SURA member University (see http://www.sura.org/about/members.html for current members) to provide an opportunity for a minority undergraduate student to work on projects that are part of the Lab’s research program or directly related to the scientific or engineering aspects of the research program. JSA will provide funds to support the student at the university for the 2011 – 2012 academic year. This assistantship is funded by the JSA Initiatives Fund Program.
- The funds are to support a student on a project related to research at Jefferson Lab.
- The student will work at their university under the guidance of a faculty member at the university.
- The student should be in their junior or senior year during the 2011 – 2012 academic year.
- JSA will provide the funds to the University to pay the student through their student employment program. The assistantship will not provide support for tuition, fees and other such expenses.
- The amount of the support will be $7500 plus up to $1500 for a visit to the Lab.
- The student will submit to the Lab a brief description of the project at the end of the assistantship
Nominations must include the following information:
* Name * Faculty Position * Department * University * Email * Nominee’s Name * Reason/justification for nomination
Students nominated must submit the following information:
* Name * Major * Year in School * University/Department * University Sponsor (faculty sponsor) * Transcript * Description of the project
For more information and to nominate a student, go to:
Please submit nominations by May 6, 2011.
After a student has been nominated, they will be sent an email with the link to the application form.
If you have any questions please contact: Yvonne Cutler Human Resources Jefferson Science Associates 628 Hofstadter Rd., Suite 2 Newport News, VA 23606 Email: email@example.com Phone: 757-269-7128
The Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility (Jefferson Lab) is a user facility for scientists worldwide; its primary mission is to conduct basic research of the atom's nucleus at the quark level. With industry and university partners, Jefferson Lab also has a derivative mission: applied research for using the Free-Electron Lasers based on technology developed at the lab to conduct physics experiments. Additionally, as a center for both basic and applied research, Jefferson Lab reaches out to help educate the next generation in science and technology.
About the JSA Initiatives Fund Program (see http://www.jsallc.org/IF/IFIndex.html) The JSA owners (SURA and CSC/ATG) have established the JSA Initiatives Fund to support programs, initiatives, and activities that further the scientific outreach, and promote the science, education and technology missions of Jefferson Lab in ways that complement its basic and applied research focus. Initiatives Fund awards are for those projects that benefit the Lab user community and that leverage commitments of others. The annual commitment of $0.5 Million is administered by the JSA Programs Committee through SURA’s Office of Strategic Services.
Lorelei Carlson User Liaison Office Jefferson Lab 12000 Jefferson Avenue Suite 16 Newport News, VA 23606 firstname.lastname@example.org (757) 269-6388 (office) (757) 269-6134 (fax)