Revision as of 18:59, 1 June 2017 by Lorelei
- On 30 May 2017 representatives of the User Group Board (Larry Weinstein, Krishna Kumar, Nadia Fomin and Charles Hyde) met with the Office of Nuclear Physics (Tim Hallman, Gulshan Rai, James Sowinski, Paul Sorensen, Jehanne Gillo, and Manouchehr Farkhondeh) to show the user enthusiasm for Jefferson Lab to make the case for enough funding to run JLab efficiently and to carry out the 12 GeV program. [http://www.jlab.org/user_resources/usergroup/UGBoDvisit toDOE.pdf See the attached slides.}
- We just (5/22/17) completed a "Nuclear Physics Day" at the U.S. Capitol - over 100 users from three national labs (BNL, FRIB and JLab) and the fundamental symmetries group met with senators, representatives and their staff to explain the importance of nuclear science for the nation. Nadia Fomin organized the JLab contingent of about 25 scientists.
- We just (5/6/13) completed a "Nuclear Physics Day" at the U.S. Capitol - over 80 users from three national labs (BNL, FRIB and JLab) went to meet with senators, representatives and their staff to explain the importance of nuclear science for the nation. Kent Paschke and Sebastian Kuhn represented UGBoD, and several more JLab users participated.
- The National User Facility Organization (NUFO) has organized an exhibit on Capitol Hill to showcase the many applications resulting from research at the National Labs.
News from Washington
- Urgent Appeal from the APS
- Letter from 3 Lab directors
- Excerpts from the President's State of the Union Speech
Note: The final Tribble Subcommittee report and transmittal letter are now available:
- Simulcast and slides for the NSAC meeting January 28-29, 2013
- News Article About the Subcommittee Recommendation
- Another News Article From Science
- NSAC Subcommittee on the implementation of the Long Range Plan
- NSAC Town Meeting at DNP2012
Background information on Science Funding
Below you can find a few links with background information regarding Science funding in general and Jefferson Lab funding in particular.
- Talks presented at the DNP during the Hadronic Physics Town Meeting
- http://arxiv.org/abs/1208.1244 12 GeV White Paper.
- NSAC Subcommittee 2012; see also our information on NSAC subcommittee feedback and planning for the NSAC Town Meeting at DNP2012
- SURA Comments on JLab FY2013 Funding Request
- FY2013 DOE budget highlights
- Presentation on User Facilities to the House Science Committee
- Decadal Survey by the National Academies on Nuclear Physics
- Report by the National Academies on Research Universities
- Presentation by Dr. T.J. Hallman on "Perspectives on the Future of Nuclear Physics in the United States"
- Testimony on User Facilities by Tony Lanzirotti, chair of NUFO (partially based on input from us)
- Dear Colleague Letter March 2012
- National Science Board 2012 Science and Engineering Indicators
- Article on Possible Effects of DOE "Funding Crunch"