2019-06-01 LeadershipReports

From Administrative
Jump to: navigation, search

June 6, 2019 Report - May 27 - June 7 Director - Todd Satogata

Todd Satogata

   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - HOLIDAY: May 27 (Memorial Day)
     - VACATION: May 28-31 
     - IPAC19: Light peer review coordination (with Alex Bogacz)
     - JLEIC: R&D planning, pCDR-100 restart, final IPAC papers, meetings
     - ADMIN: Student meetings/planning (Madeline, Sarah)
     - ADMIN: SSIII job posting review, committee planning
     - OPS: Run planning, optics on call planning for restart
     - ADMIN: HEP Gard telecon (Jun 7)
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - ADMIN: SBIR FOA edit meet (Jun 10)
     - ADMIN: Student meetings/planning (Madeline, Sarah)
     - ADMIN: SSIII job posting selection, start phone interviews
     - ADMIN: Review M/FURA committee prize applications
     - JLEIC: pCDR-100 restart, R&D planning, meetings
     - PERS SICK: Jun 13-14 (Arm surgery)
     - OPS: Optics on call, BTeam meetings, Program Deputy (Jun 19-Jul 3)


Alex Bogacz

   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - IPAC’19
     - Vacation
     - PRAB paper - review
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Machine support , OOC
     - Summer student lecture on 'Introduction to Accelerators'
     - Finalizing Technical Reviewer list for the new Internal Publication system
     - Review of IOP submissions for the IPAC'19 Light Peer Review


Rui Li

   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Impedance studies
          - Arranging next JLEIC impedance meeting
          - Participate the ALS-U impedance meeting and discuss details about microwave instabilities
          - Get ALS-U BPM model as a proof of principle model for JLAB people to start practicing broadband 
            impedance calculations 
          - Bunch spectrum for JLEIC bunch pattern and its impact on coupled bunch instabilities
          - Develop analytical model of bunch current spectrum for uneven bunch fill
          - Compare the results with numerical results from Frank Marhauser and Gunn Tae Park
     - CSR effect studies 
          - Multiple discussions with Georg Haffstaetter and William Lou of CBETA on impact of numerical noise 
            for CSR induced microbunching instability in CBETA Elegant modeling
          - Suggested William Lou to directly communicate with Cheng-Ying Tsai about his thesis work
          - Write recommendation letter for Cheng-Ying Tsai
   Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Impedance studies
          - Continue with discussions in JLEIC and ALS impedance meetings
          - Going over impedance theories
     - Uneven bunch spectrum
          - Write up technote for my analysis, and prepare slides for JLEIC impedance meeting on 6/17 
          - See its application in coupled-bunch instability growth rate analysis



Edy Nissen

   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Working on JLEIC related things for the pCDR.
   Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Continue pCDR work
     - One week stint as program deputy


Chris Tennant

   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Vacation
     - Finish and submit LDRD
          - Skype with PSI about similar work they are involved with, potential collaboration partner
     - NIM-A article review
     - Lattice design of BNL CeC (until I was made aware of the ridiculous geometric constraints on the machine)
     - Hosted ODU grad student Lasitha V. (working on SRF fault classification and spoke at ML lunch series)
     - Working on pipeline with A. Carpenter to test SRF fault classification for upcoming run
   Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Job interview panel for Staff Scientist I in IT division
     - BNL CeC work
     - SRF fault classification pipeline





Accelerator R & D - Yuhong Zhang

Yuhong Zhang

   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - IPAC 2019
   Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     -


Fanglei Lin

   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Working on the transparent spin project
     - Working on the storage ring cooler project
     - Provided parameters for SR background study in JLEIC
     - Preparing tutorial material for ZGOUBI workshorp
     - Miscellaneous: attended the Innovative HE Cooling Project Status meeting, 
       attended the Storage Ring Cooler meeting, attended JLEIC R&D meeting, attended 
       ZGOUBI workshop committee meetings, attended IR magnet design meeting
   Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Update the pCDR-100
     - Work on the transparent spin project
     - Work on the storage ring cooler project
     - Prepare tutorial material for ZGOUBI workshop




Vasiliy Morozov

   Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - IR design: chromaticity compensation, detector simulations, iterating with engineers
     - Spin experiment: spin tracking RHIC
     - Storage ring cooler: analysis of the longitudinal dynamics
     - Preparing for trip to CERN
   Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Continue spin tracking for the spin experiment
     - Tracking the dynamic aperture of the ion collider ring
     - Updating pre-CDR
 


Amy Sy

 Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Implemented newer linac accelerator node modules in PyORBIT for the superconducting section of 
       the proton/H- linac lattice. Still some mismatch in the optics compared to TRACK simulation, likely 
       due to the use of cavity field maps in TRACK that are not currently available to be read in PyORBIT. 
     - Implemented DTL section of the proton/H- linac lattice using newer linac accelerator node modules. 
       Having issues with cavity phasing and beam stability. 
     - Worked with summer student Madeline Clyburn to run TRACK simulations of the H- linac, calculate average 
       power of the H- linac and beam current needed to reach 1 MW average power, and start running PyORBIT simulations 
       of the H- linac.
     - Generated charge state distributions for lead ions passing through carbon foils at incident energies 8-15 MeV/u. 
 Next two weeks (June 24 - July 5)
     - Continued work with PyORBIT including: troubleshooting the DTL linac implementation and lack of beam stability, 
       and optimization of the superconducting portion of the linac for better matching with TRACK.
     - Working with Madeline to extract transverse and longitudinal rms velocities along the linac for H- intrabeam stripping estimates.
     - Estimates of angular distributions of lead ions after passing through carbon stripping foils, putting together a stripping chicane in TRACK.





Computational Physics - Yves Roblin
Yves Roblin

   CEBAF
     - 
   JLEIC:   
     -    
   OTHER
     - 


He Zhang

 Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Updates and Python wrapper for tpsa lib - This week I was writing examples and tutorials for the tpsa lib 
       and its python wrapper. During this process, several bugs were found and fixed. The first bug is in the sin() 
       and cos() functions. It happens when the number of variables in the function is less than the dimension of the 
       DA environment. For example, calculate sin(fx) in 3D environment while fx is a function of only two da variables. 
       The result is correct,  but the length of the result is wrong. This is fixed by adding a check of vector length in 
       the sin() and cos() functions. The second bug happens in the bunch processing of substituting the variables in a DA 
       vector by other DA vectors. There was an error when calculating the index of a given element for multipole DA vectors. 
       This is fixed too. Some other problems are due to the data transaction between python and C++. By default, Pybind 
       transfers the variables by value. If the C++ function expects a reference,  the result by C++ cannot be transferred 
       to Python, although the C++ function works. This is solved by defining the variable to transfer as a specific opaque 
       variable so that it can be transferred by reference. One has to define the fundamental operations for the variable so
       that it can be handled on Python side. These bugs are fixed too. The manual of the python tpsa lib has been updated 
       but not finished. 
 Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Finish the ibs formula by Kubo and Oide. 
     - Write documents for the tpsa python wrapper
     - Dispersive cooling (New friction force  formulas and benchmark with theory).



River Huang

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - NAPAC2019
         - Finished and submitted the abstract of the paper “Simulation of Transparent Spin Experiment in RHIC” 
           and JLab JaCow for 2019 North American Particle Accelerator Conference. 
     - "CASA BeamBeam"
         - Optimized and accelerated the transformation parts of “Crab Kick” of “CASA BeamBeam” codes by Using “Thread” 
           of Python3 and Numba JIT method. 
     - pyFMM
         - pyFMM is in testing process. In future, if possible, we wish to develop pyFMM to deal the irregularly shaped 
           bunches in the interactions when crabbing. 
     - Particles Spin
         - Form RHIC original snake setting, we are starting to check Twiss w/o error and to track spin in one turn by using Zgoubi.
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - 



Diagnostic Development - Kevin Jordan

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Working on getting the Magnetron installed in LERF Lab 1
     - Sorting through the abstracts for IBIC 2019, also contacting the recipient for the Faraday Cup Award
     - Built a new hBN crucible for the isotope experiment
     - Installed surrogate high speed rad-hard camera in front of North Linac, there were some issues getting 
       it up & running but all is good now
     - Working to get the Hot Wire Anemometer (HWA) running in LSLC-II helium transfer line
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Get meaningful results from the HWA
     - Solve cooling water challenges with Magnetrton
     - Build test load for isotope experiment & help Joe get the movable shielding installed
     - Complete my assignments for IBIC 2019


Joe Gubeli

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Isotope Experiment: Six of the S4 blocks were installed after S&A Marked their locations on the floor. 
       The remaining block will be added after everything else is installed and aligned. Received the large base 
       plate for the isotope shielding as well as some of the other plates and brackets. The rails have been added 
       to the base plate and those are now aligned. The base plate is also aligned relative to the beam line. The 
       vacuum group is install the Be window now.
     - HPWS: Modeled the HPWS assembly as well as portions of 1C05 and 1C06 to see if this location is better suited 
       for the HPWS. Everything fits between these two girders and as a bonus the installation is much simpler. Walked 
       the job with Steve S. and Neil W. both approve. Reconfigured the flanges, seven total, on the Radiabeam Wire Scanner 
       it have the input on the opposite side of the chamber. Reconfigured the optic and install them. Assisted with the testing 
       of the motion. We now can readback the incremental encoder.
     - SLM: Worked with I&C to verify functionality of the ARC 7 SLM.
     - RAD Camera: Helped to install the rad camera in CEBAF.
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Isotope: Complete assembly of the shielding mechanicals
     - HPWS: Continue work
     - LDRDS: Work to prepare LDRDS for FAST


Michael Tiefenback

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Preparation for HPS run in Hall B, including Hall B model updates
     - Studying options for Hall B skew compensator for Lambertson magnet
     - Considering causes of recent magnet system damage events
     - Consultation with Hall A about PREX2 BPM anomalies
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Serving as optics on-call and generally tracking beam setup progress/performance
     - Hands-on service with Hall B setup
     - Diagnostic design for speculative MXR2T06 SLM
     - Modeling 7A SLM matching process
     - Sketching a proposal for Lambertson skew quadrupole corrector




CASA Fellows
LERF - Steve Benson

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Reviewed Early career proposal
     - Worked with Tom Oren to get LOD modification out.
     - Developed safety documents for Isotope ERR.
     - Scheduled seminar for Riad Suleiman for GTS gun results
     - Worked to set up clean assembly of LDRD viewer
     - Developed run plan for June 18-19 run to 1G
     - Gave tour of LERF to Operations Group Candidate
     - Worked with CIS group to come up with laser solution for Chameleon experiment in User Lab 1
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Attend FAST/IOTA workshop at Fermilab and consult with personnel on LDRD installation and future run plans.
     - Help out with setup run for LERF running to 1G dump.
     - Go over PreCDR and update sections that need it.
     - Summarize the ERLs for EIC workshop.


Andrew Hutton

  Previous two weeks (May 27 - June 7)
     - Attend JLEIC meetings.  
     - For the Isotope Program I held a successful brainstorming session on the target holder (the raft) design.  
       On Monday, I was asked to give a talk to HUGS on the program but I had not given a talk for a long time.  
       Spent 2 1/2 days preparing a talk (attached) and delivered it.  
     - Sarah arrived last week for the summer.  I spent time getting her settled and answering questions.  
       Her topic for the summer is to take the existing WiFEL gun, which was optimized for low-charge, ultra-low 
       emittance, short bunches) and examine whether it can be tuned to produce high-charge, long bunches.  She is 
       learning GPT for this.  
     - ALCC meeting (6/7) - apparently the ILC is not yet totally dead 
  Next two weeks (June 10 - June 21)
     - Focus on readying the LERF for beam and launching with Sarah
     - Vacation