2021-4-1-LeadershipReports

From Administrative
Jump to: navigation, search

April 1, 2021 Report - Mar 15 - Apr 9 Director - Todd Satogata

Todd Satogata

  Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26) 
     - EIC Meetings (management, RF, crab, cryo, cooling, impedance, OPC, team, R&D)
     - EIC Partner Project planning/org/meetings (Mar 17-26)
     - EIC Second IR Workshop (Mar 17-19)
     - MGMT Meetings (Leadership/Dept Heads, CASA coffee)
     - MGMT FOA planning
     - ADMIN IPAC'21 planning (Wednesdays), SPC3 meetings (Mar 19/26), SPC work
     - ADMIN USPAS Winter Session debrief (Mar 19)
     - ADMIN Chicago Accelerator Scientific Traineeship lecture (Mar 16)
     - OPS Meetings (08:00 daily, BTeam) 
  Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9) 
     - EIC Meetings (management, RF, crab, cryo, cooling, impedance, OPC, team, R&D)
     - EIC Planning (technical reviews, partner project scope negotiation, ODU subcontract)
     - MGMT Meetings (Leadership/Dept Heads, CASA coffee)
     - MGMT FOA planning (AI/ML proposals)
     - MGMT Rework AWPs for staffing actions/requests
     - ADMIN IPAC'21 planning (Wednesdays), SPC3 meetings (Mar 19/26), SPC work
     - OPS Meetings (08:00 daily, BTeam)






Alex Bogacz

  Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26) 
     - 
  Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9)
     - 



Ryan Bodenstein

  Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26) 
     - Attendance of 8 AM SAD meetings
     - Attendance of B-Team Meetings and Procedure Development Meetings
     - FFA WG meetings
          - Set up Overleaf for IPAC paper
     - Attending various EIC meetings
     - Got OptiM up and running, though I still need significant practice
     - Helping to guide Isurumali (and Arthur) in her work
          - Good progress shown: iterating to get better results
     - Attended LCWS 2021
     - Finally moved into my new home.
  Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9)
     - Attendance of 8 AM SAD meetings
     - Attendance of B-Team Meetings and Procedure Development Meetings
     - FFA WG meetings + IPAC paper
     - Attending various EIC meetings
     - Practicing OptiM
     - Guidance of Isurumali’s work – meetings and review of results, etc…
     - Got COVID-19 vaccine shot number 1 (Moderna)






Rui Li

  Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - Continue to digest more reference papers on CBB and Landau damping, and think through the problem I am solving for EIC
     - Doing more calculations for the CBB problem in EIC
     - Write up summary of my recent work and communicate with Mike Blaskiewicz
     - Attend EIC impedance/instability meetings
  Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9) 
     - Writing reference letter for a BNL tenure promotion (including reading papers in the package  and getting to know the person's all accomplishments)
     - Doing more calculations for the CBB problem in EIC  to further check my understanding
     - Attend EIC impedance/instability meetings
     - Attend the S&T risk matrix meeting at JLAB





Edy Nissen

   Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - Attended meetings for RCS and beam beam EIC task forces
     - Worked on analyzing DODGE data from February
     - Worked with Stockholm Colleagues on DESIREE paper
   Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9)
     - Will attend beam-beam and RCS meetings
     - Continue analysis of DODGE data
     - Will work on IPAC proceedings papers





Chris Tennant

   Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - 
   Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9)
     - 






Accelerator R & D - Yuhong Zhang

Yuhong Zhang

  Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - 
  Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9)
     - 



Max Bruker

  Previous (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - Some more simulations to get to the bottom of the energy gain puzzle. There have been some interesting ideas but no convincing solution yet.
     - We made a fresh photocathode for the UITF gun to have enough juice for the optics studies that were planned for the remainder of the time before the upcoming shutdown. However, 
       there were mechanical problems during the transfer of the cathode into the gun. Joe ended up succeeding, but after half a day of beam operation, there was an arc in the gun, and 
       it is now making field emission to the point where it cannot be operated. Whether anything meaningful can be done before the shutdown is not clear yet.
     - I had some discussions with Fu Ma about his simulation of the space charge issue in the pulsed cooling experiment. He is using simplified formulas for the field, which may be
       good enough, but he is seeing an emittance increase without applying jitter, which we did not observe in our simulation. The reasons for that are yet to be determined.
  Next (Mar 29 - Apr 9)
     - UITF work depending on the course of action we decide on...
     - Hoping to make some more improvements to JSPEC.




Fanglei Lin

  Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - Optimizing the optics of the dual energy storage ring cooler 
     - Preparing the teaching material for the SPIN@USPAS2021  
     - Planning the work transition 
     - Miscellaneous: attended the EIC eSR polarization meeting, attended the RCS Beam and Polarization Dynamics meeting, attended the meeting of Development of Innovative High Energy 
       Electron Cooling for an EIC Status Update, attended EIC design team meeting, attended the Storage Ring Cooler meeting, attended the EIC general meeting, attended the EIC hadron
       polarization meeting, attended the EIC Accelerator Design meeting, attended the SPIN@USPAS2021 Prep Meeting  
  Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9)
     - Work on the storage ring cooler project  
     -	Work on the teaching material for USPAS 2021 summer section 




Bhawin Dhital

   Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - 
   Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9)
     - 




Vasiliy Morozov

   Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - Final editing of the detector integration paper in response to Todd's and Yuhong's comments 
     - CEBAF FFA: triplet optics design for the straights and adiabatic match to the arcs
     - Detector solenoid integration: study of the solenoid effect on crabbing and its compensation
     - Electron polarization: scanning of the luminosity and beam-beam as a function of the vertical electron beam emittance
     - Ion polarization: analysis of the friction and diffusion terms in IBS
     - Low-energy luminosity optimization: assisting Randy with optics design
     - Crab noise analysis: getting River up to speed on simulations, setting up of the SPS lattice for simulations
     - Writing of the EDM paper
   Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9)
     - 2nd IR design: lattice design and matching to the collider rings 
     - Crab noise study
     - CEBAF FFA
     - Optimization of the electron spin rotator
     - Detector solenoid compensation
     - Ion polarization
     - Electron polarization
     - EDM paper
     - Low-energy luminosity optimization: DA with optimized IR6






Amy Sy

   Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - Laser particle counter: continued literature search on micron sized particle delivery. Detector group has dismantled the current test setup and provided photos of the 
       setup before and after disassembly. Understanding previous data from the commercial (Wexx) particle counter to enable calibration of the prototype counters to be delivered. 
       Vendor anticipates several weeks of additional schedule delay due to underestimating effort needed to develop software for data acquisition and analysis, but is currently 
       implementing a new "acceleration" based algorithm for particle detection.
     - Biweekly meeting with Omnisensing Photonics on detector prototype progress.
     - Revisiting magnetized ion beam from magnetized ion sources to better understand current progress and limitations.
   Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9)
     - Continued literature review on coupled ion beams from magnetized ion sources. Work at FAIR describes using collimation to reduce the transverse emittance of the coupled beam,
       collimating away over 50% of the beam in a bid to increase dimensionless beam brilliance. Working on setting up simulations in TRACK to work through A. Hutton's initial idea
       of specific beam transforms to recover a round, uncoupled beam.
     - Laser particle counter: Vendor anticipates delivery of 12 channel prototype detector towards the end of April - working to get a lab bench into the reserved space in the 
       Structures Lab in advance of the prototype delivery, and set up the existing test setup in the new space. Wexx particle counter data and manual indicate that the commercial 
       particle counter can measure particles up to about 3.6 um in diameter, which is somewhat useful for calibrating the new detector.
     - Biweekly meeting with Omnisensing Photonics on detector prototype progress and delivery schedule.








Computational Physics - Yves Roblin
Yves Roblin

   Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - 
   Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9)
     - 






Randi Gamage

   Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - 
   Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9)
     - 


River Huang

   Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - Started working on EIC Beam-Beam project
   Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9)
     - Continue working on EIC Beam-Beam project


Isurumali Neththikumara

   Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - 
   Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9)
     - 




Dennis Turner

   Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - UITF
          - Perform emittance measurements at HDIce momentum (9.7MeV/c) and CEBAF momentum (6.3MEV/c) to characterize HDIce optics and the Booster optics for the CEBAF injector upgrade,
            respectively.(pending cathode reactivation)
          - Update elegant deck and UED to reflect latest survey measurements
          - Check qsUtility templates vs. updated deck and adjust accordingly
     - AIPINJ
          - Submit ATLis for MDR1I02 coil fixture rotation angle and optics measurements
          - Submit ATLis for 200keV matching for various wien filter configurations
     - AI
          - Review pyTorch tutorial from dl4Sci school
     - OPS
          - Continue developing draft Aperture Check procedure to present on April 5
          - Revive the ATLis for testing multi-harp emittance measurements; verify proper phase advance of 0L harps for this purpose
          - Modify eDT to set MQS0L01 design value
     - Attend Accelerator Seminars, AI Lunch Series talks
     - Attend BTeam, AIPINJ, UITF, Ops Procedure Review, AI FOA, Polarized Positron Beam, CASA, 0800 meetings   
   Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9)
     - UITF
         - Beam studies:  emittance measurements at 9.7MeV. Had to redo since the cathode was initially not seated well, giving bad beam.  Got a couple of good measurements, but QE 
           unavailable for further measurements.
         - Corrected deck and UED with updated survey measurements
         - Worked with Yan on energy spread measurements
     - AIPINJ
          - Worked with Injector group to plan MDR1I02 coil fixture rotation testplan
           -Resubmitted ATLis for MultiWire emittance measurement
     - HLA
          - eDT tweak for MQS0L01
          - qsUtility tweaks and improvements
          - ced2elegant tweaks
     - Procedure development: Presented draft Aperture Scan procedure
     - Completed Property Validation
     - Attended 0800, 1330, CASA, BTeam, AI FOA, Positron meetings
     - Attended AI Lunch Series talks




He Zhang

   Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)     
     - Babysitting  most of the time. 
     - Added complex DA vector support for TPSA python wrapper. 
   Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9) 
     - Test complex DA vector support for TPSA python wrapper and updates the examples and the documents. 
     - Finish testing the binary collision model and the local model. 
     - Start writing the JSPEC2 manual. 




Diagnostic Development - Kevin Jordan

Kevin Jordan

  Previous two weeks (Mar 1 - Mar 12)
     - Working on isotope target design and the coincidence gamma detection

- This includes sample preparation of the activated Ga - Cu67

     - Working on the accelerator stewardship magnetron project - programming the controls w/PLC & HMI

- Working on IBIC conference organization - Updated Faraday Cup award website - we extended deadline...

  Next two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - Presented one of my patents to the JLab/DOE “INNOVATION DISCOVERY EVENT"
     - Continue working to get the magnetron operational
     - Helping RadCon to analyze irradiated gallium sample
     - Working to organize IBIC conference



Joe Gubeli

   Previous two weeks (Mar 1 - Mar 12)
     - Isotopes – Worked on the 50kW design. The design is nearly complete and should be done by the end of the day.
     - ARDDOT -  There is still a production delay at the factory for the kinematic 2” turning mirror mounts. The current expected shipping date is eight 
       weeks from now. Working on a new design for the ITV8T09/ITVAT09A Viewer.
   Next two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - Isotopes – Complete work on the 50kW design and write up a description for the project closeout.
     - ARDDOT – Continue working on diagnostics upgrade to CEBAF (simulations, engineering and designs).    



Michael Tiefenback

   Previous two weeks (Mar 1 - Mar 12)
     - 
   Next two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - 



CASA Fellows
LERF - Steve Benson

   Previous two weeks (Mar 1 - Mar 12)
     - Specified run times and energies for isotope runs.
     - Reviewed Physics of Plasma paper
     - Made good progress on  Harmonic RF Tech note
     - Started Review of Early Career proposal
     - Reviewed Gunn paper
   Next two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26)
     - Set up training for Drive Laser Enclosure LPSS
     - Complete review of Early Career proposal
     - Rewrite and submit the LOSP for User Lab 4
     - Develop specifications for JLAMP II
     - Start developing longitudinal model for CeC ERL on LiTrack




Andrew Hutton

   Previous two weeks (Mar 15 - Mar 26) 
     - Isotopes: I met via BlueJeans with my REU student, Loida Rosado Del Rio, on Wednesday for the first time.  She seems enthusiastic about working as the Editor on our next proposal.  I also had a large meeting on Friday with our new collaborators from UVA and HU, Loida and our existing team from JLab and NMT, so that everyone could introduce themselves.  I think we now have a powerful team and are much better placed to get funded.  We will start attacking the proposal at the beginning of May when Loida officially starts.  We are close to finalizing the 50 kW crucible design (Joe and Pavel Degtiarenko) to a level sufficient to close out the Milestone for our existing proposal.  This will be “recycled” as input to the new proposal.  This week, I will start preparing the APS talk that will be given by Steve.        
     - ERLs: This is proceeding smoothly.  I have asked several JLab staff members for short write-ups and have got positive answers from all - including George Neil even though he is retired!  Max presented our input to the European Lab Directors Group and it was well received.  We will need to organize a public meeting sometime this summer.  
     - PERLE: No news is not necessarily good news 
     - New Accelerator Facility - no response from Stuart or Andrei, so I am moving forward.  I have a meeting with the Business Development Manager for Advanced Technologies at BWX
       Technologies, Inc. this afternoon to explore areas where we might collaborate.         
   Next two weeks (Mar 29 - Apr 9)  
     - Isotopes: I spent time preparing a talk that Steve will present at the APS April Meeting.  For this, I started to try and lock down our production numbers and had 
       several meetings about it.  It is still not so clear!  I had an excellent talk with Ethan Balkin. our Program Manager, and sent the noted already.  Since the Isotope Program
       will not have an FOA before this summer (and we don’t know what form it will take) I have started looking into other funding sources.  There may be a possibility of seeking 
       SBIR funds, I have feelers out!  Lila will finish up her program on decay modes of all of the isotopes and will publish that at IPAC’21.  She will not have time to complete
       the other part of the program, the daughter isotopes produced when a 𝛾, n, p,d,or 𝛼 strike the mother.  I have changed Loida’s project to complete this part of the program, 
       and then have Lila and Loida publish the final result together.  There was an excellent article on gallium in Physics Today by Michael Dickey at North Carolina State in 
       Raleigh.  I contacted him and will be talking with him next week.  I think he will be an excellent collaborator if I can talk him into joining us.         
     - ERLS: The panel met and we have assigned writing tasks, most have accepted.  The timeline is to produce a very first draft in May so that there can be an “community meeting" in June to present the rough vision and seek input.  This has to happen before the CERN SPC on June 22,23 and the CERN Council meeting June 26.  So that will be a fair amount of work over the next couple of months.   
     - PERLE: I contacted Jean-Luc Biarrotte directly, in French, and actually got a response.  Their marked up copy of the ICRADA was delivered, I forwarded it to Rhonda who has contacted me about her comments, and I think it is close to going up to the DOE again - I think!  .