General EEEMCal Meeting Summary 5/13/22
From CuawikiJump to navigationJump to search
PARTICIPANTS: Douglas, Sasha, Carlos, Joerg, Renee, Richard, Vardan, Vladimir, Yuwei Zhu, Tanja, Hamlet, Crytur-USA,
UPDATES FROM DESY PROTOTYPE TEST RUN (Douglas)
- TPEX: calorimeter detector will be 5x5 array
- Main goals: streaming readout comparison, TPEX prototype 5x5 PWO, EIC EMCAL PWO and SciGlass
- Currently doing cooling test at -10degC and -25degC - with cooling from outside
- See spectra with similar features for PWO and SciGlass
- SciGlass has lower resolution as expected as radiation lengths are different
- SciGlass shows small temperature effect at lower temperatures - for PWO it is a significant effect
- To address condenstation can use absorber
- For Sciglass need to take into account radiation length
- The blocks being tested at DESY are shorter radiation length than those that would be used in a detector and also shorter than the PWO crystals.
- One therefore cannot expect to see the same performance, regardless of the state of the formulation. It is primarily a matter of shower leakage.
- One would observe the same for PWO of shorter dimensions - indeed, these tests have been performed for PANDA and similar "not impressive" performance was found for shorter PWO blocks.
- For the analysis, suggest comparing the measured performance of the Sciglass blocks with the expected performance for blocks of these dimensions - similar to what has been done for PWO blocks of different lengths. Agreement with the expected performance would be a quite promising result for SciGlass.
- Streaming: have analog and digital signal in the stream
JLAB PROTOTYPE TESTS
- Main goal of the tests: SiPM
- plan to use 3x3 matrix PWO crystal - each crystal uses 4x4 SiPM of 10um (~76k/SiPM)
- Crytur-USA prototype revised ongoing
- initial tests show no overheating
- next are cosmics tests
- Procured 20 crystals
- Issues with procurement from Hamamatsu - working on resolution
DISCUSSION OF DETECTOR-1 ACTIVITIES
- No additional tasks to those already in EEEMCAL R&D plan identified in WG or PM meetings
- For 5/19 meeting with EIC Detector-1 contacts
- use EEEMCAL slides from recent WG meeting
- Constraints from project
- design needs to follow schedule for critical decisions - next one is CD-2
- more details on timeline on page 4ff of https://indico.bnl.gov/event/15784/contributions/63264/attachments/40952/68481/Detector_1_General_Mtg_05132022_v2.pptx
NEXT MEETING: FRIDAY 10 JUNE AT 8:00AM ET