General Meeting Summary 10/3/13
MRI PREPARATIONS: BUDGETARY QUOTES
- After talking to additional people found that the only suitable PbWO4 vendors are the three listed below. There are currently no vendors in Japan and Russia.
- Kinheng Crystals (China)
- SICCAS (China) - possibly best choice, quotation ~ $1200/crystal
- Crytur (Czech Republic)
- In general, the situation for PbWO4 seems currently somewhat uncertain
- According to the PANDA collaboration, they have been in contact with SICCAS on R&D for PbWO4 providing them with raw materials earlier purchased from Russia. They recently received 20 test crystals, but were not completely satisfied with them (see the report that Carlos sent around in his 23 August email) and placed another order.
- Additional R&D is needed before any company can produce PbWO4 for detector applications
- Given the uncertain situation re-consider PbF2 as an alternative to PbWO4
- PbF2 quote from 2008 was $800/crystal for dimensions 3 cm x 3 cm (SICCAS)
- Charles will ask for an updated quote
- PMT quotes: Charles has received initial information from Hamamatsu. He will follow up on this.
MRI PREPARATIONS: STRATEGY
- Discussion about possible budget scenarios using PbWO4 or different hybrid versions of existing PbF2 and new PbWO4 for the Neutral Particle Spectrometer
- Many of the scenarios discussed may be above the "small" MRI proposal limit and submitting to the wider competition may be needed
- Need guidance from funding agency for the best way to proceed
- Response will be delayed until the Gov shutdown is resolved
NPS DESIGN PREPARATIONS
- Adjustment of NPS dimensions to 30 x 36
- with these dimensions it will be easier to accomodate crystals sizes of either 2cm x 2cm or 3cm x 3cm
- Discussion about how existing rails could be used for NPS
NPS COLLABORATION MEETING TOPICS: 14 NOVEMBER 2013
- RCS session planned for ~3 hours in the morning
- Bogdan and/or David will work out an agenda for this session and share it at the next meeting
- RCS theory motivation: Charles invited C. Weiss, who recommended to also invite N. Kivel and/or M. Vanderhaeghen. Charles will contact Kivel.
- Also of interest to discuss along with RCS proposal planning is the exclusive photoproduction pi0 experiment (was an LOI at PAC40). The PAC40 report recommended to explore how these experiments could be optimized together. TH will contact Dipangkar.
- Discussion on NPS experiments with polarized targets
- Bogdan can show his conclusions on polarized RCS
- Check with Donal Day on status of his experiment planning
- NPS design. Rolf will contact the designer.
- Comparison of PbWO4 and PbF2 properties (Hamlet)
- DAQ discussion. Rolf will contact Steve for a presentation from Hall C on this topic.
- Electronics discussion (Julie)
- discussion on custom bases? Once defined the details of the discussion, could contact C. Cuevas
ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING:
- NPS MRI PREPARATIONS
- Budgetary quotes for PbF2 and PMTs (Charles)
- (Hopefully) updates on possible funding proposal scenarios
- NPS Collaboration meeting
- Agenda discussion and updates
NEXT MEETING: THUR, 24 OCTOBER at 9AM (EDT)