Meeting 27 March 2018
* Action items for next meeting on Tuesday, 10 April at 3:00pm (EST):
- Prepare drafts for all sections of the 10-page document (all, see section assignment)
- Prepare figures for the 10-page paper based on Parker's 3/27 presentation (Parker/Bogdan)
- for slide 17: figures for both "original CPS shielding" and "CPS shielding" (i.e. with the +10 cm and borated poly, the "extra" case) for combined, photon, and neutron separately.
- for slide 18: figures labeled with:
- "Combined with CPS shielding"
- "Gamma contribution with CPS shielding"
- "Neutron contribution with CPS shielding"
- and then the same plots assuming 11 GeV beam, 2.7 muA beam current and a 10% radiation length target, i.e., there is no CPS or shielding at all.
- "Combined without CPS and shielding"
- "Gamma contribution without CPS and shielding"
- "Neutron contribution without CPS and shielding"
- Update on ongoing simulations with "black hole" after stopper and figures for 10-page document (Jixie)
- Discussion FLUKA simulation
- Fixed issue with dose rates - it was due to an incorrect modeling of the beam dump opening. Now get more realistic radiation from that source
- 1 MeV neutron equivalent now in good agreement with expectation from 2012 simulations performed by Pavel
- Dose rate at 100 uA consistent with corrected Snoopy neutron detector data (900 mrem/hr)
- Optimization study with 50 cm W and 10 cm of 5% borated polyethylene for top, front and back - this is extra 10 cm of W and extra 10cm of borated polyethylene in the backward region. The extra 10 cm plastic stops spilling n the backward region
- To demonstrate effectiveness of shielding plot dose rate vs. distance with and without CPS
- Show radiation levels on pivot after nominal 1000 hrs and 1 hour waiting, and also after 100 hrs and 1 hour of waiting
- Discussion of simulation update
- Implemented "black hole" after stopper, simulation is running
- Disussion of 10-page document draft
- General concept is: 1) Introduction of subject, 2) CPS concept, 3) Results to demonstrate that CPS can be built
- Need to include sufficient quantification, e.g. factor 1000 in section III.D - could refer to published data
- In "Safety and Engineering" include more detail, e.g. heat density and how one can cool easily - might take 3-4 pages for this section
- Figures in main text:
- CPS components
- Magnetic field and why
- Impact of plastic
- Neutron equivalent damage
- Prompt dose rates and boundary
- Activation doses
- Appendix 1 - concept transfer to Hall D
- Include figure of photon radiation with and without CPS
- Add bullet: to reduce power density in magnet could either reduce the magnetic field or use a double raster system as done for Hall A/C
- Optimization of material