Meeting 3 December 2021
- Magnet design and tests
- Status of tungsten and lead blocks
- TCS updates link
PARTICIPANTS: Steven Lassiter, Dondal Day, Bogdan Wijtsekhowski, Erik Wrightson, Hamlet Mkrtchyan, Tanja Horn, Marie Boer, Rolf Ent, Vardan Tadevosyan
MAGNET DESIGN AND TESTING
- In model added heating elements on top to reach larger temperature range for testing and evaluated
- Copper brazing concept design
- Temperature profile with two 1.2 kW heaters Tmax=893degC, Tabs=221 degC
- still evaluating stresses, displacements, etc.
- Temperature profile for two 2kW heaters
- Heater element would have melted Tmax=1460degC (Copper meltung point 1085 degC), temperature along top absorber is 330degC
- stresses, displacements look fine
- Validating Fluent model with by-hand calculations
- water flow, pressure, etc.
- key for moving forward
- Global timeframe towards magnet design
- need global review of the magnet (resistor, fluid dynamics)
- anticipate to start bidding in a few months
- when magnet designed can start designing insert etc.
- also want to do tests to see how much power can really withstand, etc.
- first delivery expected in January
- expect 7-8 tons, but not yet received
- At some point share CPS design with HallD engineering team - note that HallD needs 60kW but magnet can be longer
- HallA/C: compact design since close to target
- HallD: in tagger area - more space
TCS UPDATES (Vardan)
NEXT MEETING: FRIDAY JANUARY 14TH, 2022 AT 8AM ET