NPS Frame and Infrastructure Meeting (JLab, 11/13-11/15 2018)
Revision as of 10:10, 16 November 2018 by Hornt
- Photographs of the IPN-Orsay 3x3 prototype
- NPS Positions and Angles
- Test radiation hardness of carbon fiber and insulator (e.g. DEPRON) samples - concern with carbon fiber is mainly the epoxy inside
- Check NPS PMT requirements - question is if CAEN HV cards with 1 mA/channel (vs 3 mA/channel) are sufficient
- UPDATE: The total resistance of our divider is about 3.6 MOM. Hence, at operating voltages of 1.1-1.5 kV the divider current would be in range of 300-400 uA. --> 1mA/channel is sufficient.
- Sliding PBC boards: mechanical stability? - completely parallel movement. Check what angles can be reached if assume detector needs 10cm on one side and 20cm on the other. Also, is vertical limit given by the second floor SHMS and/or LWC pipe a problem when detector is on the large angle side?
- Signal cables: check space needed for BNC vs. LEMO connectors on top/side of NPS. Would BNC work or need to use LEMO? Also, check on flat micro ribbon coax cables - any drawbacks, e.g. signal distortion?
High voltage cables: assume CAEN 52 conductor multiwire cable - need to make sure that proper strain relief implemented at detector
- UPDATE ON FLAT MICRORIBBON CABLES: the most recent and largest implementations using flat micro-coaxial cable assemblies at JLab is for the CLAS12 MVT detector. These assemblies are 2m long and have drawbacks such as: Cost, specific connection schemes, and almost impossible to re-work or fabricate on site. These attributes are common for most other types of flat cable coaxial cables plus one has to be aware of the signal attenuation characteristics for the given drive signal.
- Crytur crystals are slightly smaller than SICCAS crystals - measure 40 SICCAS and 20 Crytur crystals for tolerances
- Heat removal - temperature gradient seems large - how to test and control?
- Would it be feasible to run some cheap poly (1/4"?) tubing off a (chilled?) air manifold into the gaps between PMTs near the central region? It wouldn't take much air flow to dramatically improve the cooling, so I expect you get get away with a relatively small number of tubes. Alignment isn't important, so I would imagine just threading them in where desired and cable-tying them in place after everything else has been installed.
- Check how HyCal or ComCal cooling system would work with NPS
- Test silicone cookies, e.g. Sylgard 527 instead of optical grease for PMT-crystal interface
- Fiber-crystal interface: add optical grease here too?
- Light monitoring system: radiation hardness of LEDs and fibers? Possible to distinguish possible radiation damage of LED and fibers from radiation damage of crystal?
- Comments on 3x3 prototype
- All removable metal components on the posts (washers, spacers, and the nuts) should preferably be non-conductive nylon/delrin equivalents
- The spring probably needs to remain metal, but it should be mechanically captured on the rod (perhaps crimp the spring or wrap some wire around it at the base so it can't come off)
- Screws/threads - need to stay on axis
- Special tools
- Tape in front of crystal
- Tedlar in addition to reflector?