Welcome to the public Wiki of JLab LDRD Project LD1601/LD1701 "Nuclear gluons with charm at EIC"
The aim of the project is to demonstrate the feasibility of novel measurements of the quark and gluon densities in nuclei (A > 1) with a future Electron-Ion Collider (EIC):
- Direct measurements of nuclear gluons at x > 0.1 using heavy quark production (open charm, beauty);
- Flavor decomposition of nuclear quarks at x ~ 0.1 using semi-inclusive deep-inelastic scattering (pions, kaons).
Precise measurements of the nuclear quark and gluon densities are a key objective of nuclear physics and address fundamental questions regarding Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD) and the origin of nuclear binding. The nuclear modifications (nucleus =/= sum of A nucleons) offer insight into the presence of non-nucleonic degrees of freedom in nuclei (EMC effect, x > 0.2), the QCD structure of the nucleon-nucleon interaction (antishadowing, x ~ 0.1), and the emergence of coherent gluon fields at high energies (shadowing, x < 0.01). The proposed new measurements use information about the hadronic final state in deep-inelastic scattering and are made possible by the unique capabilities provided by EIC (collision energy, luminosity, detection of final-state hadrons).
The project is carried out in a collaborative effort of experimental and theoretical nuclear physicists. Collaborators include:
- Eugene Chudakov (JLab Physics)
- Sergey Furletov (JLab Physics)
- Doug Higinbotham (JLab Physics)
- Charles Hyde (Old Dominion University)
- Dien Nguyen (University of Virginia & JLab)
- Marco Stratmann (University at Tubingen, Germany)
- Mark Strikman (Penn State University)
- Christian Weiss (PI, JLab Theory)
- Zhihong Ye (Argonne National Lab)
The specific tasks performed are:
- Adapt simulation tools for heavy quark production in ep scattering (HVQDIS, F2c code) to eA scattering at EIC, with schematic modeling of charm detection and reconstruction
- Adapt MC tools for semi-inclusive ep DIS to eA at EIC
- Simulate nuclear ratio measurements of open charm production and semi-inclusive DIS at EIC
- Assess systematic and theoretical accuracy of nuclear ratio measurements at EIC and quantify physics impact
For information regarding specific R&D results, usage of resources, etc., please contact the investigators.
The internal Wiki can be accessed here. JLab password required.
Wiki Software Information
MediaWiki has been successfully installed. For instructions how to use MediaWiki software, consult the User's Guide. Further information can be found at MediaWiki FAQ. Configuration settings are explained in Configuration settings list.