FX beamline and FY chopper solenoids
New injector beam line (FX) and chopper (FY) solenoids proposed by Jay Benesch have been designed and awarded to Everson Tesla for fabrication.
Design package can be found in XXXX.
- Wiring configuration
Just a FYI, added a 6" piece of heat shrink to the end of each conductor were it will attach to terminal block with the colors I could land, as shown. Will follow-up with coil wiring schematic. Photo of FX solenoid media:MFX-38mm-color code.png
- Conductor #1=Brown
- Conductor #2=Grey
- Conductor #3=Orange
- Conductor #4=Yellow
- FX Temperature study
- MFX-01 (7/22/20) media:MFX-38mm-Temp study-7-22-2020.xlsx
From Mike Beck, Morning, The temp study for the 38mm solenoid is attached. Setting solenoid and probe up for mapping now. If any questions, comments or feedback just call or email.
- Magnetic Performance
- MFX-01 (8/4/20) media:MFX solenoid mapping-38mm-1st article-7-30-2020.xlsx
From Mike Beck, Gents, The first article MFX is ready for pickup. If we have another V-block mounting fixture, would like to get that. If not could I keep the one I have and just hand off the solenoid?? Just call or drop a line when you would like to plan pickup.
- MFX-02 (8/19/20) media:MFX solenoid mapping-38mm-2nd article-8-17-2020.xlsx
From Mike Beck, Have attached the detailed mapping data file for the MFX 38mm 2nd article solenoid. It includes the centerline integrals and B v I measurements in single-would and null/bucked coil configuration measurements in 1A and the .2A intervals. Also attached is the inductance, resistance and average temperature at the upper end of possible current range. For ease of viewing you can check out the Summary page to view all the data put together. The magnet is ready for pickup. If there are any comments, feedback or questions call or send email.
- Background of existing injector solenoids
A variety of solenoid magnets have been in use at the CEBAF injector for over 20 years. A total of 11 individual solenoids are installed, spanning 7 different types (FH,FB,FG,FQ,FA,FD,FL). In order to preserve the beam polarization four of the type two internal counter-wound coils (FQ,FA,FD,FL) while others have a single internal coil (FH,FB,FG). A summary of the 11 coils is listed below and can found on the injector songsheet media:190605_injectorsongsheet.pdf.
- MFH2I01 - beam line solenoid, single wound
- MFB1I02 - beam line solenoid, single wound
- MFG1I04A - beam line solenoid, single wound
- MFG1I04B - beam line solenoid, single wound
- MFQ0I01 - beam line solenoid, counter wound
- MFA0I03 - beam line solenoid, counter wound
- MFD0I04 - two chopper solenoids in series, each counter wound
- MFA0I05 - beam line solenoid, counter wound
- MFA0I06 - beam line solenoid, counter wound
- MFL0I07 - beam line solenoid, counter wound
- Motivation and requirements of new injector solenoids
- fewest types possible, to improve standardization and spares inventory
- greater radial field uniformity, to minimize variation of beam optics with beam position
- minimum field roll-off in the beam direction
- design accommodating operation at higher beam energy, i.e. function at higher power supply current
- larger inner diameter to accommodate 2-3/4" flanges
- bakable to >200C for extended periods for vacuum condition
- capability to be interchangeably wired for single wound or counter wound configuration
- Review of solenoid design
With these considerations in mind Jay Benesh has modeled an upgrade solenoid magnet and worked with Danny Machie to develop a mechanical design, in three variations, that have been reviewed by the injector and source groups. The purpose of your review is to inspect the proposed specifications and drawings and provide feedback or questions that should be incorporated prior to starting the vendor RFQ process. Supplemental material of a design study of different variations on the inner diameter is also provided here media:design_comp.pdf.
- Joe Meyers, Magnet Measurement Facility (will handle the RFQ and acceptance QA too)
- Michael Tiefenback, CEBAF Magnet Integrator
- Renuka Rajput-Ghoshal, Physics Engineering Magnet Group
- RFQ Package
- Specification to vendor - media:magnet_spec.pdf or media:magnet_spec.odt
- Coil drawing - media:coil8may19.pdf
- Low Momentum Solenoid (replaces FH, FB, FA, FL beam line magnets) - media:lowmomentumbeamlinesketch5.pdf
- Low Momentum Solenoid (replaces FD chopper magnets) - media:lowmomentumchoppersketch2.pdf
- High Momentum Solenoid (proposed new solenoid for MeV beam energies) - media:highmomentumbeamlinesketch4.pdf
- Possible Vendor List
- New Zealand company that did Jay's initial quote
- Everson-Tesla Inc., Doug Hartman (email@example.com)
- New England Technicoil
- Alexandria, Va company Joe met at ILC meeting