WF Wien Filters (200 kV upgrade)
Revision as of 08:16, 7 January 2021 by Grames
These pages contain materials for modifying the standard CEBAF Wien filter design (originally SLAC 100kV Wien filter) for operation at 200kV.
200 kV Wien HV Controls
200 kV Wien Magnet
200 kV Wien Assembly
Making Nickel End Mirror Plates (Jan 2021)
- Riad identified H-Wien magnetic Ni end clamp plates were not as good magnetically as V-Wien
- (5) Ni 200/201 plates were ordered, fabricated by the machine shop media:32893-0011 end plate marked up.pdf
- Material certifications here: media:210104_NickelCerts.pdf
- Machined end plates cleaned with solvent only (Micro-90 can react/etch Nickel)
- Annealing performed per vendor spec (1450F for 30min)
- Jay's info for anneal Ni 200/201
See page 13 "heating" for annealing info Higher temperature than I expected. They don't mention vacuum furnaces but the ones in the TL should suffice if all the contaminants from brazing can be removed. If not, perhaps the inductance furnace used for cavities, which is clean; SRF might not want any nickel in it, however.
CEBAF Wien Filter Upgrade Iterations
- 200kV Wien filter - FINAL - This is for the two rebuilt Wien filters for CEBAF.
- 200kV Wien filter - V3 - Third iteration modeled in CST by Gabriel with improved 40 kV feedthroughs has demonstrated (2019) 20kV per plate at UITF on a test stand but test still undergoing. Intended as a testbed for 20kV switch chassis test in preparation for implementation at CEBAF.
- 200kV Wien filter - V2 - Second iteration built using 20kV feedthroughs and HV tested in UITF beamline 2018 to ~12 kV limited by large vacuum excursions
- 200kV Wien filter - V1 - First iteration to modify CEBAF Wien filter for 200kV operation, fabricated per Jay's proposal, and installed at UITF 2017